essexreporter.com
Column | Working towards a greater Essex: How we got here
By Elaine Haney & Andrew Brown Way back in 1763, a six square mile parcel of land known as the Essex Grant was chartered by England’s King George III to Governor Benning Wentworth of New Hampshire. This parcel however wasn’t permanently occupied until 1783, when farmers settled in the area. The settlers held their first town …