blogcertified.com
New York nears passage of aggressive law to | BLOG Certified
By Ryan Johnson New York state lawmakers could pass as early as Wednesday one of the nation's most ambitious plans to slow climate change by reducing greenhouse gas emissions to zero by 2050. That would make it the second U.S. state to aim for a carbon-neutral economy, following an executive order signed by former California Governor Jerry Brown last year to make that state carbon neutral by 2045. The New York measure, which the Assembly in the state capital Albany was expected to approve Wednesday after the Senate passed it on Tuesday, mandates reducing emissions by 85% from 1990 levels by 2050, and offsetting the remaining 15%, making the state carbon neutral. "I want New York to have the most aggressive climate change program in the United States of America," Governor Andrew Cuomo told public radio WCNY in Syracuse after he reached an agreement with legislators on the bill's language. "Climate change is the issue of our lifetime." Cuomo was expected to sign the measure if it passes.