"How do I find an attorney to determine the right jurisdiction for a claim?" | Sklover Working Wisdom
Question: Where can I find the right lawyer who can determine which is the right jurisdiction to bring a claim of harassment/bullying against a USA company's overseas office? James Sacramento, California Answer: Dear James: Without getting too "legal-technical" on you . . . (a) There are two kinds of jurisdiction: (a) about the lawsuit ("Subject Matter" jurisdiction) and (b) that controls the defendant ("Personal" jurisdiction.) Your question seems to refer to Personal jurisdiction. In general, Personal jurisdiction can be brought wherever the Defendant "resides" or "transacts business." (b) For a company, "resides" means maintains a primary or principal office. So, if the company has its corporate headquarters in your town, or if it has a good-sized office there, it should be deemed to "reside" there, and for that reason be subject to lawsuits there. (c) For a company, &#8220