parishmouse.co.uk
Old Radnor Radnorshire Wales Family History Guide
Old Radnor a parish in the county of Radnorshire, Wales Alternative names: Pencraig, Maesyfed Hen. Parish church: St. Stephen The parish contains the townships of Lower Harpton, electorally in Hereford, part of Upper Harpton, and all Ednol, all Walton and Womaston, all Evenjobb, Newcastle, Barland, and Burfa, and all Kinnerton, Salford, and Badland Chapels of ease: Ednol and Kinnerton Parishes adjacent to Old Radnor New Radnor Llanfihangel-nant-Melan Gladestry Discoed Presteigne Knill Kington Huntington Historical Descriptions Old Radnor The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870 RADNOR. (Old), a village, a township, and a parish, in Presteigne district, Radnorshire. The village stands on a rocky height, 2¾ miles ESE of New Radnor and 3¾ WNW of Kington r. station. The township contains also the hamlet of Burlingjobb, and bears the name of O. R. and B. Real property, £1, 960. Pop., 350. Houses, 79. The parish contains also the townships of Lower Harpton, electorally in Hereford, part of Upper Harpton, and all Ednol, all Walton and Womaston, all Evenjobb, Newcastle, Barland, and Burfa, and all Kinnerton, Salford, and Badland; and is partly within New Radnor borough. Post-town, Kington. Acres, exclusive of Lower Harpton, 10,069. Real property, inc. of the rest of Upper Harpton, £11, 536. Pop. of the parish1, 349. Houses, 292. Pop. of the part in N. R. borough, 1, 264. Houses, 277. The property is divided amongvery few. Harpton Court is the seat of the Lewis family. The hills of Old Radnor, Stanner, Hanter, and Worzel consist of rocks similar to the hypersthene of Coruisk in Skye, and possess much interest for geologists. Charles I., when fleeing from Cromwell, in 1645, supped with a yeoman at Stones. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Kinnerton, in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £195. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. The church stands on a hill; is ancient, large, and good; has a tower; and contains an ancient font, a carved oak screen, and monuments of the Lewises. The p. curacy of Evenjobb is a separate benefice. There are an Independent chapel, an endowed school with £40a year, and charities £19. Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72]. A Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1845 RADNOR (OLD), or MAESYVED HEN, a parish, comprising the townships of Ednol, Evenjobb with Bareland, Harpton, Kinnarton with Badland, Old Radnor, and Walton, in the liberties of the borough of New Radnor, union of Kington, county of Radnor, South Wales, 3 miles (E. S. E.) from New Radnor; containing 1421 inhabitants. This place by the Welsh is also called Pencraig, which name it derives from the situation of its church on the summit of a rock. It was anciently of some importance, and had a castle, which Sir Richard Colt Hoare identifies, but not satisfactorily, with that mentioned by Giraldus Cambrensis, under the appellation of