History- Faulkner's Island Lighthouse, Guilford, CT
Faulkner's Island lighthouse is Connecticut's second oldest lighthouse tower and is the only active light station on an island in the state. Faulkner's Island is about three and one half miles offshore from Guilford, Connecticut. Many vessels negotiating Long Island Sound were wrecked on the rocks around the three-acre island, prompting the Lighthouse Establishment to erect a 40-foot stone lighthouse in 1802. The beacon was commissioned by President Thomas Jefferson, and the island was purchased from Medad Stone for $325.
Post to Tumblr