northsidehistory.org
The Old Penitentiary in West Park - A Brief History - Allegheny City Historic Gallery
The Western Penitentiary was established as a result of pressure from The Philadelphia Society of Alleviating the Miseries of Public Prisoners. In August of 1818 Legislators granted the Commonwealth 10 acres of Allegheny Town, the easterly line facing the West Commons, 200 feet above Ohio Street for construction of a penitentiary. A grey, Norman style, ... read more