CHIMNEY FIRE: Family Home Severely Damaged
Some birds trying to keep warm this winter have left a Des Moines family out of a home. Fire crews responded to a fire in the 3300 block of Vilura Parkway Thursday. Authorities say the homeowner started a fire in her fireplace and later noticed her home was filling with smoke. Firefighters arrived and were able to extinguish the flames which had spread to the attic. Part of the chimney was removed to find multiple birds’ nests in the space around the flue. No one was injured. Damages are estimated at around $70,000.The family is being assisted by neighbors until repairs can be made.
Post to Tumblr