etandhkide.com
Lighting the Village - E. T. & H. K. IDE
St. Johnsbury residents used hand lanterns to light their way until the first street lanterns were erected by a few business owners in 1867. By the close of the 1870s, 110 kerosene street lights run by the village illuminated St. Johnsbury streets. In 1880, fifteen streets were lit and a lamplighter was required to light …