curiousireland.ie
The only sculptured 15th century high altar to survive in Ireland
Sligo Abbey, Sligo Town, County Sligo 1252 Sligo Abbey is located right in the middle of Sligo Town. It was built by Maurice Fitzgerald for the Dominicans in 1252 and includes a great wealth of carvings. These include Gothic and Renaissance tomb sculpture, well preserved cloisters and the only sculptured 15th century high altar