archiseek.com
1611 - North Gate, Carrickfergus, Co. Antrim - Architecture of Antrim - Archiseek - Irish Architecture
Lord Deputy Sir Arthur Chichester enclosed Carrickfergus with stone walls from 1611 onwards and more than half the circuit is still visible, often to its full height of 4 metres to the wall walk. The walls were completed by arond 1615. After falling into decay, the last remaining gate, the North Gate was restored