St Matthews Church
More usually known as Normanton Church, The church is a grade II listed building built in a classical style. The tower and western portico were built between 1826 and1829. The nave was completed in 1911. Once the private chapel of the Normanton estate, the building was saved from demolition as part of the resevoir construction following a public outcry. The lower half was filled with rubble and a concrete cap put in place,while an embankment was built around it to protect it from further flooding.
Post to Tumblr