Some interesting First Order facts from the TFA Visual Dictionary
I haven’t seen these around so thought they might be useful, especially for fic writers etc. Some things people will know, but I decided to include everything interesting, just in case. Those in speech marks & italics are quoted directly.
- Stormtrooper troop transporters are called Atmospheric Assault Landers (AALs). They carry up to 20 stormtroopers (2 squads).
- “To avoid the treaty restrictions that prevented major galactic corporations from selling arms to the First Order, BlasTech Industries and Merr-Sonn Munitions cynically spun off a subsidiary called Sonn-Blas Corporation, which operates within First Order space.”
- “Standard ten-soldier stormtrooper squads contain a slot for a single weapons specialist. Depending on mission profiles, that specialist may be a megablaster heavy assault trooper, a riot control trooper or a flamethrower.”
- “Common Resistance nicknames for flametroopers include “roasters”, “hotheads” and “burnouts”.”
- Kylo’s lightsaber design is ancient, “dating back thousands of years to the Great Scourge of Malachor.” The crossguard blades emerge just after the main blade is turned on.
- His nickname within First Order ranks (whispered behind his back) is ‘Jedi Killer.’
- Phasma is in charge of ALL First Order stormtroopers.
- “Phasma disagrees with General Hux over what it takes to make a soldier. The methodical Hux has developed automated training regimes that simulate battle situations. Phasma believes such programmes don’t test the true heart of a soldier: courage and tenacity.”
- “Phasma’s armour is coated in salvaged chromium from a Naboo yacht once owned by Emperor Palpatine. Its polished finish helps reflect harmful radiation, but it serves primarily as a symbol of past power.” [How cool is this?]
- “A perfectionist, Phasma routinely patrols the areas under her command as a means of keeping her senses keen and her soldiers in line. Even in such an expansive operation such as Starkiller Base, Phasma makes most of the inspection rounds on foot, walking dozens of kilometres in a typical day.”
- “Hux continues to use the stormtrooper training regimen pioneered by his father, based on ideas the elder Hux hatched as an Academy commandant. Hux has total confidence in his father’s idea that stormtroopers trained through vivid simulations make the most loyal soldiers.”
- The weird pen-like things attached to the breast of a First Order officer’s uniform are rank cylinders. “Access to command systems and certain areas of FO vessels and installations are governed by coded rank cylinders worn by officers.”
- “The Resistance has limited intelligence of the FO fleet, and many fear that the Resurgent-class is not the largest of the new Star Destroyer designs.”
- Each standard day on board a Star Destroyer “is divided into six four-hour-long shifts, divided among three crew sections. Each section fosters a strong sense of unity and team identity.”
- “The Galactic Concordance prevented the FO from accessing the scattered Academies that had filled out the ranks of the Imperial Navy. Instead, the surviving Imperials created new Academies far from the prying eyes of the New Republic, situating them aboard Star Destroyers built in hidden shipyards on the far side of the galaxy. The young fleet officers produced by these shipboard schools often spend their entire lives aboard Star Destroyers, and many think of these giant warships as their homes.”
- “THE PILOT CORPS: The new generation of TIE fighter pilots undergo rigorous training not unlike the constant and dehumanising drilling faced by stormtrooper cadets. The pilots begin training at childhood, and most grow up within the corridors of Star Destroyers, becoming intimately familiar with starship operations. The FO maintains strict standards of reflexes, visual acuity and hand-eye coordination. Those pilots who fail to measure up are transferred to other roles within the fleet.”
- “Aboard FO Star Destroyers, TIEs are deployed from hangar conveyor mechanisms that carry them up from deeper storage decks.”
- “SPECIAL FORCES: The distinctive flashes of red that stand out from the all-black armour of some TIE fighters and their pilots are the mark of the Special Forces - elite starfighter pilots answerable directly to the upper command levels of the Starkiller operation. The markings date back to the decorated flight barons of the Old Empire.”