Girl Talk Time
Time to share some knowledge i acquired over the years. Some background story, when i first got my period my mom did a terrible job at giving me “the talk” so in that moment i realized that i have to teach myself stuff with the help of my friends and the internet.
Now i’m sharing this knowledge because i’m 100% there are more people who don’t know at least 1 thing from these.
- Have a necessities bag/kit that you carry with you everywhere
What should you have in it you might ask?
- mouth spray, mouth wash, toothbrush and toothpaste, gum, mints etc
=> really, just something to refresh your breath or clean your teeth in a hurry
- pads/tampons/whatever you like to use
=> friendly reminder, buy pads/tampons for 2-3 months because you never really know 100% when it’s going to come, especially in the beginning (by beginning i mean 2 years because most of my friends and i needed 2 years to have a pattern for our period)
- panties liners
=> now, if you don’t know what this is, shortly, you don’t need to be on your period to have discharges and these liners take care of that; they’re thinner than pads (note, they’re not pads! so they’re not used for periods) and they usually come in packs of 15-30 so you have for the entire month
- perfume or body spray
=> this is if you want (and are concerned a lot) about your perfume
- unscented wipes
=> why unscented? because you might have to clean yourself real quick sometimes and scented stuff are not good for your private parts and since we have this mature talk and share of information, wipes are better than tissues when you have to clean your ass and this is important in case you wear white clothes, are out on a date with someone etc.
- hair ties and a comb
- lip balm
=> this is such an essential thing when you have chapped lips, especially during winter
=> now, everyone sweats; i’d wish girls were some sort of unicorn that never had this problem but nope so it’s important to have wipes and deodorant for this problem
- mini nail kit
=> if you have long nails, you need this; i have long nails and sis, i broke them so many times out of the blue and all day until i came home i kept thinking of how bad they look so find a kit for nails or built yourself one
Oh, if you want to have an extra pair of underwear in it, that would be great. If you worry about how many stuff there is, you can get travel size things. Many supermarkets have mini toothbrushes, mini tooth paste, mini deodorant etc.
- Let’s move to the next point, periods.
- there’s nothing wrong with you if it takes you longer to get yours
- there’s also nothing wrong with you if your flow is not similar to someone else’s; everyone is different so don’t feel bad for how your body deals with itself, it’s nothing personal
- no period is 100% every single time; you can’t be forever moody, you can’t cry every time etc. some people repeat the same signs but some change, i might cry today that you ate my snacks but tomorrow i might be having cramps etc. not think everything will repeat the same every time
- talking about cramps, find a way to deal with them; some likes to take pain killers, others fill a bottle with warm water and keep it near their tummy; i basically roll into a ball and stay on my side or go out and walk for hours because that helps me
- your period will mess up your underwear so have a set of nice, not period time underwear and a set of i can live without you set for when you get the period
- talking about underwear, if you want to clean it and get the stains fast, don’t use warm/hot water because somehow that makes the stain get into the fabric even more, nope, nope, you don’t want this
- change the pads/tampons as often as possible otherwise the smell builds up and you might end up in a very embarrassing situation
- if you use pads, try the night ones during day time; they tend to be longer so you have less chances of staining your underwear or not placing the pad properly
Next on our list is, smell. Let’s be blunt, we all smell. Every human has an individual smell but what you might not know is that you can influence it. Now, let’s get with some diet suggestions.
- fruits will make you smell and taste sweet (i said taste because of sex, yes, you figured it out, congrats!); pineapple is one of the fastest one to change the smell i think
- now, alcohol makes you smell bad so be moderate with it
- for foods that you should reduce (i say reduce because you can’t cut out all these things and maybe they’re your favorite so keep it to small amounts) red meat, onions, garlic, asparagus, cabbage, broccoli (and everything from the family of broccoli and cabbage), milk (yogurt is fine though), fish and spices like curry. They have chemicals that influence your smell in a bad way so avoid or reduce the intake of these
- herbal tea is better than coffee; anything with caffeine influences you but let’s be real, many drink coffee to be awake and functional so keep it to a minimum
- as a rule of the thumb, stick with fruits and veggies as much as you can, things that go bad fast you know
- drink water, this is for helping your digesting system, improve your skin, getting rid of toxins and if your pee is smelling/have a dark colour, you need water, a lot of it
Last topic, sex. Now, i can’t add many things to this since i’m a virgin so if any of my followers want to add to it, feel free to do so. I’ll just add things that i’ve read and was told so far.
- 30min-1h after sleeping with someone, you go and pee because this reduces the chances of you getting urinary tract infections
- have your own condoms, especially if you have some sort of allergy, you know your body best
- there’s no such thing as “i’m too big”, there are Nth videos on youtube with people putting basket balls in condoms so don’t worry, they’re elastic
- if you plan to sleep with someone, have a contraceptive method decided and not only the condom; during sex ed. in high school the lady kept saying how this is not a 100% method to avoid getting pregnant (but tbh, there isn’t 1 method that is so try 2, like condom and pill (edit: sterilization seems to be one of the best contraceptive methods but you can’t have kids after so that’s important to be kept in mind)
- there’s this myth that virgins can’t get pregnant the first time, that’s a myth so if a guy tries to sell you this bs, ask him if he’s prepared to be a dad just in case he’s wrong
Yeah, this is all i have. I hope i helped at least 1 person out there.
Additions from my anons
- Something I would like to add to your Girl’s Talk post: It is normal for teenagers to get headaches more often than adults or children. But if they are a daily occurrence, cause you to go blind/etc then you should talk to your doctor. For the past year I had headaches often and I thought there was something wrong (there isn’t luckily). And it’s okay to talk to someone (therapist/etc) even if you’re not mentally ill. And if you do talk to someone make sure you feel comfortable around them.
- Boundaries are important. It is NOT okay for parents to walk into your room whenever they want. While you do live with them you are still a human being and should be treated as such. It’s okay to have “me time”. Tell your family you would like to spend some time alone. Your parents shouldn’t be going through your phone daily and hounding you down about it. It is abusive if your family does any of these things. On Tumblr there is a list for signs your parents are abusive (and helpful blogs!)
- about the girl talk I would like to suggest couple of things based on personal experiences! Virginity loss doesn’t happen only with penetration! For example I lost mine while riding a bike, hitting a bump and sitting back on the saddle weirdly // also dont know if it’s common but it may happen that you end up finding jelly-like substances on your panties because your body is excreting it; nothing to worry about if they’re transparent but if they aren’t please go to a medic and get checked out!!
- I would like to add that your first time having sex should not hurt! It is a myth that loss of virginity should hurt, the vagina can expand such an incredible amount, and if you’re with a person with a penis that is penetrating you and it hurts, please ask them to stop, use lube, change positions, go slower or do some foreplay because it truly should not hurt. However, there are conditions where penetrative sex always hurts (vaginismus, which makes even a tampon or finger hurt).
- Don’t mislead people, first sex hurts for many people and it’s normal, too. Even several times after that can hurt, and with enough times you might expand and it will stop hurting. True story. (the reason I’m sharing this is that people might think there’s something wrong with them if it hurts - just know it’s very normal, just do all you can to minimize the pain)