Some facts and theories about Rio
Okay, I’m really disappointed, because I see a lot of things like that about Disney movies, but almost nothing about Rio. So I decided to do it myself.
I hope somebody will find it interesting. Sorry for my English and tell me, if I made any mistakes.
1. Both Nigel and Marcel use French every now and then. Marcel said “Au revoir” at the end of conversation with his customer, and Nigel said “So kind of you to join our little soirée”. I think it’s a way to show that Nigel is attached to his owner.
(I can’t say the same thing about Marcel, though)
2. Blu and Jewel are right-hand— right-winged? right-legged?.. How to say that about a bird? I have no idea. Well, anyway, they use right legs to operate things. Nigel obviously is an ambidexter, but he prefers left leg to lock the cage, for example. In real life the majority of parrots are left-handed.
3. Patricious, the bird who caused ending of Nigel’s actor career, and the spinning “Who’s a pretty bird? I’m a pretty bird!” are the same species: peach-fronted parakeet. It provides a fertile ground for some headcanons…
(Mine is it’s just a coincidence which is really annoying for Nigel; he hasn’t done anything special to drive her insane)
4. During the cartoon (except the very end, of course) Nigel has lost around 45 of his feathers. Don’t ask why I decided to count them. =_=
5. Rafael somehow knows that his eighteenth child is a boy, despite the fact that this child hasn’t hatched yet. Or maybe he said it just at random.
6. I believe it wasn’t only me who noticed that Pretty Bird is pretty (badum-tss!) much different from the whole movie and even from another songs. I mean all these background, lights, TV, newspaper, globe, etc. I have an idea. The whole song except the end is showed by Nigel’s perspective. Then the perspective changes back to Blu and Jewel’s… and everything is normal again, it’s just a dark dirty room full of cages with the dim light from the window. So maybe Nigel had a hallucination because of that chloroform rag or just because he is insane. If so, I feel sorry for him even more.
7. What. Happened. With. The Russian-accent bat? Seriously. He was afraid of sunlight and we never see him again. So he just stayed in the falling plane?! Poor little thing…
8. When Nigel catches Jewel, she hits him with her claws, and it seemed to be rather painful. But Nigel didn’t seem angry at all. He even didn’t become less polite to Jewel. Well, except kidnapping, of course.
(This fact is here not because I ship them. Definitely not because of it)
9. Nico wears a bottlecap as a hat, because he was a pet. Canaries aren’t native for Brazil. Also there is a line in Hot Wings: “I’ve been around the world and I wanna life my live in Rio”. I don’t think Nico was able to do it himself, so maybe he was travelling with his owners, and then something happened to them or Nico was lost. And now he use bottlecap because he is closer to humans than any other of wild birds in the movie.
10. Why Jewel couldn’t carry Blu when they were chained together? Male and female Spix’s macaws weigh almost the same, and she seems to be rather strong bird. Maybe the weight of the chain was too much for her.
11. Was Marcel Nigel’s first owner or not? Maybe he became a smuggler when he lost the ability to make money from Nigel’s acting. The argument against it is the fact that Nigel speaks with New Zealand accent — so maybe his first owner was New Zealander.
(And yes, I know that Jemaine Clement is New Zealander, but this explanation is not so interesting)