NJcon was my very first SPN convention. There were a lot of ups and downs. I’ve decided I’ll sell my tickets to Toronto Con. And, if I do go back to NJcon (because it’s the closest), I’ll only be going on Friday. Friday was a blast. The panels were low-key and fun; karaoke was fan-fucking-tastic. I even got up and sang which I would never, in a million years, have pictured myself doing. (I am not a fan of getting on stage, and also, I can’t sing)
In a complete flip from the guests I was most anticipating seeing, the guests I most enjoyed AT the con were Rob Benedict, Rick Worthy, and Jared Padalecki. (I probably would have loved Osric’s panel, too, if I’d made it in time)
I met a lot of great fans this weekend, despite the fact that you don’t get a lot of time to interact during con hours - it’s a very celebrity-driven experience..
Besides the fans, the things I enjoyed were:
- Singing REO Speedwagon’s “Take It On The Run” with Rob Benedict. I was so nervous at the thought of getting on stage, that when I signed up I was shaking. Then had I had two Jack & Cokes. The thing about the karaoke party is it’s just one big group concert. The mikes are turned down so low, it doesn’t matter if you can’t sing. It’s just about pumping some music and getting the crowd into it. I’m so glad I got up on that stage! I told Rob that my voice was gone, because I’d been singing along all night. And he said that was okay, they’d help me. I gave him a big hug afterward, and made sure to thank him again in the autograph session.
- The karaoke party in general. Hugging Chad Lindberg. Watching Osric rap. Seeing Matt Cohen in a cheerleader’s uniform. Rocking out with fellow SPN fans.
- Rick Worthy. He wore a pitbull advocacy sweatshirt to the karaoke party, and a Star Wars shirt during his panel (on May Fourth!). During the autograph session, he gave me a high-five for my own Star Wars shirt. And then he tried to point to his, but he’d forgotten he changed. I thanked him for wearing the pitbull sweatshirt, and we ended up talking about animal rescue. He said he REALLY loved dogs and rescue :)
- Jared Padalecki. I’m actually not much of a Sam fan (shhhh), but omg, Jared is adorable. His eyes are gorgeous. And he is so incredibly sweet - really going out of his way to be kind to the fans.
- Ty Olsson. He led the entire room in a singalong during his autograph session. He recited Shakespeare during his panel. He stopped on his way out of the autograph session (which we didn’t have tickets for) because I asked him if my girlfriend could get a hug. He seemed a little amused by my asking on her behalf, so I hugged him too. And he never even spilled the drink he was carrying in the other hand.
- The costume contest. I totally voted for tortured!Samandriel and Abaddon, btw.
Things I didn’t enjoy:
- The intensity once any of the Big Three (Jared, Jensen, or Misha) were there. I feel like I didn’t get anything out of their panels, because (with rare but notable exceptions) everyone was using their question as a way to try and have a moment with the actors - not as a way to learn something new about them or their characters.
- Being rushed through photos. Everyone told me in advance you only get 15 seconds, and I understand that Creation is clearly trying to make as much money as possible. It was even worse during the Misha photo ops because they’d suddenly squeezed in more photos - and then Misha was very late because of traffic in Manhattan.
And then there’s Jensen. Which was a rollercoaster in itself: