As a Dutch Citizen I want to make a few points…
- Both the Utrecht and Christchurch shootings were terrible. Do not use one to justify the other. Don’t start pointing fingers at entire groups of people.
- Remember the victims, do not give attention to the shooter. Especially now it happened twice in such a short timespan, we do not want anyone to think they can get their idiotic points across by taking a gun somewhere.
- fact check before posting. As a Dutchie currently in Uni in the UK, I have been following it on both the Dutch news (NOS, RTL) and UK sources… and especially in the beginning outland sources were reporting wildly different things and taking speculations from witness statements as facts.
- Do not use this to justify (US) gunlaws (yes I have seen at least 1 post like this). The situation in Utrecht would not have been helped by any of the victims having a gun, and the gunlaws currently in place in the NL and most of the EU do usually work to prevent things like this. It’s just kinda like bombs, nobody is allowed to have one, but if some person really want to fuck things up they’ll find it anyway. It’ll just be much much harder over here and that is why the frequency of such an incident is much lower.
- that’s it for now, but I’ll add if I think of something else….