1. I grew up on a farm and one day a sheep got tangled in loose twine and started choking and I had to run and find scissors to cut her loose and I didn’t want to have to do that again.
2. I got lost in the woods once as a kid and realized I didn’t have anything on me to build a shelter or a fire so now I make a point of always having a lighter in my bag too, just in case.
3. I used to go around the woods behind our house in the autumn and gather edible mushrooms, and I learned that if you cut them near the base and leave the stumps in the ground they’ll grow new caps, so it was handy to have a knife nearby in case I happened upon a new patch.
4. One time I was out camping and my shorts had no pockets so I clipped my knife to the inside of my bra, and later this guy who was standing over my shoulder asked why I had a knife in my bra, so I figured next time someone was staring down my shirt I’d just shank them.
5. My stepfather used to get into these screaming violent rages when I lived at home, and he was twice my size, so I figured if worst came to worst, a dinky little switch in my pocket was better than nothing.
6. Sometimes I’d gather up buts of rope and twine and branches and go out into the empty areas off the deer paths and build forts and treehouses to play in.
7. My biological father collected knives as a hobby, and when I was visiting him for my seventh birthday he gave me my first pocket knife, and I like the memories attached to that.
8. Handy for opening packages
9. Sometimes you just need a knife, you know?
10. People might ignore you or think you’re dumb because you’re small and optimistic but if they ever need a rope cut or a box opened and you just happen to have a knife in your purse they will never, ever fuck with you