I just finished reading Dany’s House of Undying chapter and damn is this the most trippy thing I have ever read in the books! Its honestly as weird as the one time I tried really potent magic mushrooms(Shade of the evening?? *wink* *wink*). George really brings out the big guns when it comes to Dany’s visions, I wish they had some of this awesome creepy shit in the show, the show one was completely different, very straight forward & easy to understand! This one, I had to really grill every paragraph to understand what it means & I still don’t have a clear understanding.
Hidden Jonerys Treasures
The last part of every set of visions was hard to understand and I think that’s because they all reference Jon.
1. She has five visions in the long creepy corridor - Four small men ravaging a naked women, which seems like the clash of the Kings tearing apart Westeros represented as a naked woman. The second is a vision of Red Wedding. Third a vision of the house with a red door & lemon tree, Dany’s only childhood memory of home. The fourth, the Mad King ordering the city be burnt before Robert takes King’s Landing. The fifth is the birth of Rhaegar & Elia’s son:
The man had her brother’s hair, but he was taller, and his eyes were a dark indigo rather than lilac. “Aegon,” he said to a woman nursing a newborn babe in a great wooden bed. “What better name for a king?”
“Will you make a song for him?” the woman asked.
“He has a song,” the man replied. “He is the prince that was promised, and his is the song of ice and fire.” He looked up when he said it and his eyes met Dany’s, and it seemed as if he saw her standing there beyond the door. “There must be one more,” he said, though whether he was speaking to her or the woman in the bed she could not say. “The dragon has three heads.”
When Rhaegar looks at her & says there must be another, it could have several connotations : Rhaegar wanting a third child or him acknowledging Dany or Dany realising about the baby Targ she would have with Jon.
2. Then their prophesy by The Undying: “Three fires must you light, one for life(birth of dragons) and one for death(Vaes Dothrak) and one to love. Three mounts must you ride, one to bed(drogo) and one to dread(drogon) and one to love. Three treasons will you know, once for blood(Mirri-witch) and once for gold(Xaro-Qarth guy) and once for love(this could be Jorah though).”
All of the last three could be referring to Jon, though I think if there’s a treason, it’ll be a harmless deception on his part for her safety & well being or something.
3. They call her, daughter of death & show her dying Viserys, her unborn son’s future & Rhargar’s death as he whispers a woman’s name. I feel like the third one is again a Jon reference.
4. They call her slayer of lies and show her : “Glowing like sunset, a red sword was raised in the hand of a blue-eyed king who cast no shadow. (This is Stannis as his Azor Ahai claim is a lie) A cloth dragon swayed on poles amidst a cheering crowd. (This is Varys’ campaign to make the Fake Aegon in the books popular among commoners - their puppet dragon king whose Rightful heir claim is a lie) From a smoking tower, a great stone beast took wing, breathing shadow fire.” The last one again I think is a Jon reference because there has been a fire at Winterfell & Jon started one at the Lord Commander’s tower. No to mention Melisandre wanted to raise a stone dragon but until now she has only raised Jon, who is a secret dragon (Targaryen). It doesn’t even say dragon but “beast” and he is the white wolf too. I think this is the third lie Dany has to slay since Jon’s parentage is a lie & she would have a part to play in his legitimisation as the last legitimate Targaryen. I don’t know, I could be wrong but considering Melisandre’s quotes about raising stone dragons & Jon being the only one she ever raised, makes me wonder! But this is the part of the prophesy that got me the the most!
5. They call her bride of fire and show her : “Her silver was trotting through the grass, to a darkling stream beneath a sea of stars. (This is her wedding night with Drogo) A corpse stood at the prow of a ship, eyes bright in his dead face, grey lips smiling sadly. (This could be Euron or the other 2 guys who wants to marry her in the books) A blue flower grew from a chink in a wall of ice, and filled the air with sweetness.(This is totally Jon Snow! The blue flower or winter rose is a constant reference to Jon’s parents in the books and Jon lives on a wall of ice. It seems like he is going to be her third husband pretty soon too! Plus he’s a Targ, so bride of fire finally!)
Final vision with no Jonerys treasures: This just seems like a foreshadowing for her arc :
- Faster and faster the visions came, one after the other, until it seemed as if the very air had come alive. Shadows whirled and danced inside a tent, boneless and terrible. (Her Childbirth blood magic ritual)
- A little girl ran barefoot toward a big house with a red door. (Dany’s childhood)
- Mirri Maz Duur shrieked in the flames, a dragon bursting from her brow. (Drogo’s funeral)
- Behind a silver horse the bloody corpse of a naked man bounced and dragged. (Drogo’s punishment for the wine merchant who tried to poison Dany)
- A white lion ran through grass taller than a man. (The Lion Drogo hunts, whose head & fur she wears as a wig after losing her hair in fire)
- Beneath the Mother of Mountains, a line of naked crones crept from a great lake and knelt shivering before her, their grey heads bowed. (I think this is the future, a variation of all Dothraki following her after the fire in Vaes Dothrak on the show)
- Ten thousand slaves lifted bloodstained hands as she raced by on her silver, riding like the wind. “Mother!” they cried. “Mother, mother!” They were reaching for her, touching her, tugging at her cloak, the hem of her skirt, her foot, her leg, her breast(seriously sometimes George gets a bit creepy with the constant mentions). They wanted her, needed her, the fire, the life, and Dany gasped and opened her arms to give herself to them.
The Undying are Creeps!
The part where all the “Undying” who basically just sounded like White Walkers on the show but with their creepy ghost voices in her mind, start molesting Dany & she’s in shock & unable to move, was scary AF! “drink from the cup of ice..drink from the cup of fire” I’m not sure what this means but I have a feeling it’s related to those creepy fuckers first luring her with everything she desires when they appear as normal people & offer her the ‘food of forever’ and later molesting her & resulting in their skin changing colour from blue to orange.
But then black wings buffeted her round the head, and a scream of fury cut the indigo air, and suddenly the visions were gone, ripped away, and Dany’s gasp turned to horror. The Undying were all around her, blue and cold, whispering as they reached for her, pulling, stroking, tugging at her clothes, touching her with their dry cold hands, twining their fingers through her hair. All the strength had left her limbs. She could not move. Even her heart had ceased to beat. She felt a hand on her bare breast, twisting her nipple.(Seriously George? Seriously?) Teeth found the soft skin of her throat. A mouth descended on one eye, licking, sucking, biting …
Then indigo turned to orange, and whispers turned to screams. Her heart was pounding, racing, the hands and mouths were gone, heat washed over her skin, and Dany blinked at a sudden glare. Perched above her, the dragon spread his wings and tore at the terrible dark heart, ripping the rotten flesh to ribbons, and when his head snapped forward, fire flew from his open jaws, bright and hot. She could hear the shrieks of the Undying as they burned, their high thin papery voices crying out in tongues long dead. Their flesh was crumbling parchment, their bones dry wood soaked in tallow. They danced as the flames consumed them; they staggered and writhed and spun and raised blazing hands on high, their fingers bright as torches.
Like this is seriously the creepiest thing I have read in the books so far & I have never been more scared for Dany! Thank god Drogon got his fire burning & burns that weird glowing rotten blue heart to kill them. Like what kind of lighting system is that anyway? Who spends their immortal life sitting in a dark room only lit by a glowing rotten blue heart? And why were all of their lives tied to this one thing that Drogon could so easily destroy? And if the key to their death was on display, then why on earth were they molesting a dragon’s mom? Like what was the endgame these weirdos intended here? “A thousand years ago we knew, and have been waiting all this time.” They say when Dany first sees an illusion of them in human form before she leaves the room & finds them in their real undead forms.
Also why do they call her, “child of three” and only give the explanation “three heads has the dragon”. Are they counting Viserys as one of his dragon parents too?
So here are my thoughts on this mind boggling chapter that not only got me invested in the books again but also started a storm in my mind! I need answers! Help me! Send me good links guys! Help me crack this insane puzzle!