WHAT NO GIRL SHOULD EVER HAVE TO GO THROUGH.
I was waiting for the R local train from 74th Street Jackson Heights, and when it came I got on it with a bunch of shopping bags. I settled down, and then this big guy walked into the car, barely getting hit by the automatic closing doors.
He sat in front of me (by the end of the care). I was trying to do my reading homework, and I was getting caught up in it, until something caught my eye.
The man in front of me had been masturbating for the past 5 MINUTES.
I had heard about this from HollaBack! but I just never expected it to happen to me. I was stunned and I didn’t know what to do. I was the one girl on the train, and I didn’t know what the other men would do if I overreacted.
And so I sat there in silence. As soon as I noticed, and confirmed that he was masturbating (his penis was apparent and so was the grunting), I begged to God for the next stop to come sooner. When we stopped midway because of a slight delay, I quickly started gathering up all of my bags. He took note of this, and stopped, shuffled his hands (and I’m assuming cleaning himself up).
The next stop was 36th Street, and as I faked getting up, he got up first and got off the car. Of course I stayed in the train after that. As the doors closed, I started freaking out that perhaps he had gotten on the car next to me, but thank goodness, I saw him walking as my car passed by him.
Two stops after, I noticed that more women kept coming in my car, and I thought, Where were you 2 stops ago?
If this ever happened to me again, or if it happens to you, here’s what I recommend:
DRAW ATTENTION TO HIM.
- So many scenarios passed through my head, like “EW, ARE YOU MASTURBATING ON THE SUBWAY?” Do whatever you can to freak the shit out of him.
DO NOT SIT NEAR THE END OF THE CARS LATE AT NIGHT.
- I got on at 9:45, but towards the end of the cars, these men can hide from everyone else and masturbate without anyone even knowing. I’m pretty sure none of the men on my car even knew what was happening.
TAKE A PICTURE OF HIM.
- I knew this advice myself, but I was literally so stunned, I couldn’t move, because I know he was just staring at me while his hand was busy.
- older man: maybe 50’s, wearing a red jacket and a green Jets zipper pullover
- I got on at 9:45PM at the 74th St. Jackson Heights stop
- He got off at 36th St
That saying, QUEENS IS AWESOME, DON’T THINK OTHERWISE. I started to think on the train that taking the train from Queens to Manhattan was no longer safe, but later on, more women came on, and nothing was happening. It was just an incident that caught me off guard, but don’t let it get to you. Be stronger than that.
Which is why I want to tell any females taking the train, BE SAFE AND BE AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS. I don’t know what would have happened if I didn’t start noticing and shuffling my bags.