Good Things Do Happen
Good Things Do Happen - post 15x18 fic rec list with Cas being rescued/ already back from the Empty. Hopefully way less angsty than our previous Happiness isn’t in the Having - 15x18 coda fic rec list. We all deserve good things. <3
All title links go to AO3, hashtag # indicates that this is also a tag on our Tags Page.
ours is the fire, all the warmth we can find by xylodemon [M, 6,800 word count] Dean POV, grief, #reunion
- Sam brings it up as they're driving back from the steakhouse in Mankato. Dean cuts him a sharp, sideways glance. "You think I should what?" "I think you should try journaling." "Why the hell would I wanna do that?"
the rhyme of salvation by LymeandCoconut [T, 6,200 word count] Dean POV, #winged!dean, #reunion
- “Nothing human can exist in the Empty,” Jack replied, shaking his head. “It would just - spit you back out, and probably kill you in the process.” “Then -” Dean pulled in a deep breath. Made his choice. “Then make me not human.”
Enhanced Extraction Techniques by goldenraeofsun [T, 5,800 word count] Cas POV, #reunion
- The Empty takes Meg’s shape, Samandriel’s, Duma’s, every one of the thousands of angels Cas killed up in heaven. But in the middle of lecturing Cas in the form of Balthazar, it explodes in a burst of light and sound. Dean Winchester stands in the aftermath.
For Love by Bookkbaby [T, 1,200 word count] Dean POV, #reunion
- With Chuck no longer a threat, there's just one thing left to do: get Cas out of the Empty.
Nothing Equals the Splendor by RurouniHime [NC-17, 7,700 word count] Dean POV, #djinn dream, #wing!fic, #reunion, smut
- Maybe it’s the cynic in him. The hunter, always under the surface of any quietude he ever found. Or maybe it’s just that he has always had trouble with blind faith. But after a while (a blink? A decade? A century?), Dean raises his eyebrows, looks around, and says— “Uh. No.” It’s so close. Just so slightly imperfect. And maybe, he analyzes, maybe that’s the final knell of this bell called contentment. Dean’s experience with happiness has always been that last rise in the road, right before it turns. Right before fate comes barreling around the corner head on. He turns in his spot on the bridge, and suddenly Sam is like a cellophane film through which he can see the light streaming, and the taste of cheap beer on his tongue is much, much older a memory than it should be. “Oh, you’re good,” he says, and means it.
Up to Date? by whelvenwings [T, 5,200 word count] Cas POV, Dean POV, texting
- It's three months after Castiel was brought back from the Empty after confessing his love to Dean, and things are awkward between them. They haven't talked about it. Castiel can feel how much Dean wants to, but he won't let himself, and Castiel can only wait. But one night, with Castiel halfway across the world, he gets a text from Dean that might change everything - even if Dean didn't quite mean it to.
The Novel by FriendofCarlotta [NC-17, 4,600 word count] Dean POV, #domestic
- Dean, Cas, Sam and Eileen are happily retired and living their best lives. There's just one problem: Sam has decided to commemorate the Winchester brothers' adventures by writing a novel, and it's not very good at all. AKA the episode coda where 15x20 was nothing more than Dean reading a draft of his brother's first novel and becoming increasingly appalled.
Sorry Jimmy by K_K_TiBal [T, 2,200 word count] #heaven, #trueform!cas, #humor, #jimmy, #reunion
- Based on the tumblr textpost: jellydeans: so are cas and jimmy novak just up in heaven existing at the same time; katebushstandean: #jimmy moves to heaven timbuku so that dean stops trying to make out with him every time they run into each other at the heaven grocery store. Thanks for letting me write it, guys!
Fifty Ways to Lose Your Lover by PallasPerilous [T, 1,106 word count] #humor
- Castiel's love confession scene is proving difficult to nail down. SURELY the characters will settle down in the next draft. SURELY.
Other useful resources - there’s no time in the world for me to read all lovely season 15 coda and fix-it fics, so, check out these AO3 tags by yourself!
- Episode: s15e18 Despair
- Post-Episode: s15e18 Despair
- Episode: s15e20 Carry On
- Episode Fix-It: s15e20 Carry On
- Post Episode: s15e20 Carry On
If you enjoyed the fic, please drop by the archive (AO3) and let the author know with your comments and/or kudos! And if you found our recs useful, let us know by Liking and/or Reblogging our posts!
screencap from homeofthenutty