DEGRASSI SEASON THREE IS ACTUALLY ONE OF THE BEST SEASONS OF A SHOW I HAVE EVER WATCHED ! So intense yet lighthearted and just so real - its beginning to give Skins, Skam, etc. a run for their money again. Everything in just ten episodes proves what wonders being picked up by Netflix has done for the show. Pointers ….
☆ THE PLATONIC FRIENDSHIPS
- Lola and the Gamer Club was so unexpected but so great
- Lola and Yael’s friendship was so amazing and one of the best female friendships to be portrayed on Degrassi IMO. Similar to that between Gamer Club and Lola, they’re such an unlikely pairing but Yael’s support towards Lola and her abortion during episode eight killed me, it was so beautiful
- Grace and Jonah are also one of my favourite friendships on the show bar the fact that I am receiving vibes that replicate season two Grace and Zig. Pleassssse just let there a be a bloody platonic friendship between a guy and a girl, Degrassi, plssss I beg
- I just really love how every character was depicted as so flawed and problematic yet loving and full of worth this season, it was so wonderful to see and it kind of gives hope watching. I’ve more confidence in myself and others after watching ?
- The writing was A***** this season. I cannot find a way to criticise it really. Also, A**** writing. Eric, Olivia and Ana all need some kind of recognition after their time on the show following their exits next season - such incredible actors//actresses
- The refugee plot was so so amazing and I really hope that the information we learn about Rasha and Saad’s backgrounds gives some insight to or a change of heart in anyone watching who has a negative outlook on the refugee crisis. Also, I love how Rasha is a refugee from Syria, muslim and gay, it was just incredible
- I almost cried watching Zoe come out after watching her so clearly struggle in the past few seasons and it broke me when she moved in with Grace after being kicked out by her homophobic a*s of a mom. Zoe’s come such a long way - like, can we just see her happy now, or ? Also, can I just say that Zasha are one of my otps ? Coool (other two are Hael and Fronah.)
- Goldi’s plot !!!!!!! Her character development is ace and I just love how imperfect she can be but how she learns so much. Also, as somebody who cannot stand religion, I couldn’t help but admire and respect how dedicated she CHOOSES to be to her faith. Also, when she supported Rasha coming out YASSSSS
- MAYAAAA MY BBY MAYA ! Her plot struck too many chords and it all made so much sense. In reality, Maya has been a ticking time-bomb for such a long time; she had to boil over at some point. Every tiny aspect of every one of her seasons was so important and poignant. It was kind of nice for her to have a happy ending for once. Also, they better not revert back to her old look next season - HECK NO, KEEP THAT CURLING TONG AWAY !
- We finally got an insight into Esme’s background ! Esme is one of those characters who’s problematic behaviour is sometimes too regular for me to understand or accept but after those final scenes in episode ten, wow ! Esme is going to NEED to have a more prominent role in season four - Chelsea really stole that episode as such a capable actress.
- Lola’s abortion storyline was flawless, it couldn’t have been done any better. It really was the best depiction of abortion in both literature and TV/film that I have come across or heard of. Everything from discovering that she had been taking the pill the wrong way to Yael telling her that she was coming to the appointment. The procedure scene was so so vital and important plus the interaction with the doctor was brilliantly written. I also thought that it was so important that Lola was the pregnant girl in that storyline after being fobbed off as the ‘bimbo’ for song long. Manny Santos-development vibes, yass !
- Episode five was probably my favourite episode this season. It ticked every box with both comedy and addressing the pressures and expectations of sexual behaviour and thoughts on both men and women. I had me both in stitches and in awe like IS THIS EVEN REAL
- I enjoyed Lola and Miles’s platonic relationship so I was a little disappointed when they ‘hooked up’, especially since both are so often depicted as promiscuous and without a conscience. Oh, well. But besides that, I did love how supportive they were towards one another.
- Grace is making me so upset, ohmygosh, episode seven. No words. I was so glad that she changed her mind.
- Well, we can finally understand why Baaz acts like such a d*ck - he is insecure ! That scene where he is basically admitting to being jealous of Hunter was beautifully done and even more so when Hunter let him win the eh, ‘measuring’ contest.
- THE PERIOD STORYLINE OHMYGOSH NO WORDS I JUST LOVE THIS DAMN SHOW
- I haven’t really thought much about the Tristan in a coma storyline yet. I’m not sure how I feel about it uh
☆ RANDOM NOTES
- Did everyone glow up this season or what ?!?!?!?!?!! Especially Hunter and Maya - DAMN ! In the early seasons of Next Generation, the then-cast apparently used to wear their own clothes in scenes rather than outfits from a wardrobe especially curated for their characters. It seems as if the current cast and crew are heading back this way (only have to look at Reiya and Hunter’s hair, plus Lola and Maya’s hair and outfits.) which I looove - realistic looks and all that.
- MAYA IS TALKING ABOUT CAM OHMYGOSH KATIE IS BACK OHMYGOSH INTERACTION BETWEEN MAYA AND MILES OHMYGOSH THIS IS TBT ON ACID
- Saad’s camera ? Where can I get it ? Pls ? Someone ?
- “You know what they say …. Big feet …” This show, I can’t handle it ohmygosh, bless the Gamer Club YES
- Yael and Hunter are the cutest, I love them both as friends and a romantic pairing and I really love how the show are portraying their difficulties in finding a balance ! Also, we really saw a softer side to both of them and they’re just ahhhhh
- TWIN TIME ! TWIN TIME ! TWIN TIME ! We need more twin time and Hollingsworth sibling scenes in general
- Am I the only one who was delighted that there was no sign of the Hollingsworth parents this season ?
- FRONAH ARE TOO GOOD, THAT IS MY ONLY METHOD OF UNDERSTANDING WHY OR HOW THE DEGRASSI WRITERS COULD TRY SPLIT THEM
- Hunter’s hair and Jonah’s hair and guyliner ayyyyyy
- YAEL IS SUCH AN AMAZING CHARACTER ! I love how they included the ‘girl on girl hate’ ‘I’m not like other girls’ kind of thing and how she realised how in the wrong she was. Also, she has no chill ! The measuring scenes, omfg
- JONAH APPRECIATION ! How could anybody hate this smol bean ?
- Is Winston still only here for comedy, or ? Come on, lads !
- Degrassi incorporating such healthy discussions on attitudes towards sex, death, etc. is just the best. BRINGING IT BACK TO THE OLD SEASONS, AYY !
- will the writers give Frankie a break omfg this girl needs decent development !!! Character development !!! Where u at
Emotional scars can be more difficult to heal, but we do our best by renewing old friendships, creating joyful moments or trying new things, to make us feel like we’re doing something, even if we feel helpless. But through it all, as long as out hearts keep beating we survive.