She is a lesbian latinx hero from a Utopian universe who came to our world just because she wanted to be a hero.
Her moms died saving the multiverse so as a kid she runs away because she wants to be just like them.
She has superstrength, speed, flight, and she’s bulletproof
But by far one of her coolest powers is she can create portals between alternate universes.
America started off as a stereotypical latinx character, but under Kieron Gillen, she was written as a calm person who thought through her next move. She is quick to fight, but when it’s necessary because she knows she’ll win. She’s also an uber dork who believes in love and hope. Not something you see from the quiet characters.
She has appeared in Young Avengers, A-Force, Siege Secret Wars, and The Ultimates She’s a powerhouse character who impresses heroes in the A league like Monica Rambeau
Now after years of people asking for her own book and her increasing popularity she’s finally getting her own solo book! It was announced at NYCC and will be called America with the first preview done by @mckelvie and Matt Wilson
We need to support this book! Show Marvel that this is our hero.
I’ve been getting asked a lot on and offline what are my favorite comic books? That’s a loaded question. I had to think about it. There are some great runs in comics. Some great story arcs. But I had to dig down and see what I really liked. What books have I read over and over and over. These are what I enjoyed the most, I’m not saying these are the greatest comic books ever, I’m just saying they appealed to me. So here are my top 10 favorite comics.
10. Identity Crisis The DC Comics crisis events. Mostly just okay stories. Too much going on and not enough time to invest in any one character. But Identity Crisis stands out above the rest. Instead of a multiverse changing, massive story, Identity Crisis focuses on the mystery of who killed Sue Dibny. The wife of the Elongated Man. More and more of the heroes civilian loved ones are attacked and the heroes have a ticking clock to solve the mystery before another loved one is murdered. Written by Brad Meltzer this book focuses on the cost of living a double life. Highly recommended.
9. Young Avengers: volume 2 Not to be confused with Young Avengers volume 1. Volume 2 by Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie is nothing short of awesome. A multiverse hoping, teenage super hero daydream. It’s a really great story about teenage love, magic, pop references, LGB, and Loki. Lots and lots of Loki. So if you ship Wiccan and Hulkling, love Kate Bishop, and cannot get enough of America Chavez, you’ll want to read this book.
8. Superman American Alien A lot of people have mixed opinions on this book, but I really enjoyed this unique take written by Max Landis. Focusing on the early years of Clark Kent, it felt more grounded in what Clark would actually be going through on his journey to becoming Superman. Each issue has a different artist which is fitting because each issue focuses on a different year in Clark’s child to teenager to young adult to man journey. It’s a mini series that should be pretty easy to find and I highly recommend it.
7. DC The New Frontier A book paying tribute to the Silver Age of DC Comics. Focusing on the Macarthy era, A time where America couldn’t be less trusting, the story focuses on the super heroes once praised for their services, now find themselves ridden off as outlaws. Multiple perspectives from Hal Jordan (Green Lantern), Martian Manhunter, Wonder Woman, Flash, etc, as they fight for truth, justice, and the American way, accumulating to the upcoming battle with “The Center.” Darwyn Cooke tells an amazing story that you all should check out.
6. Scott Pilgrim Vol 1 through 6 I cannot recommend these books from Bryan Lee O’ Malley enough. 6 graphic novels in total, focusing on Scott Pilgrim’s desire to date Ramona Flowers, his journey to defeat her 7 evil ex’s, and the challenge of being a responsible adult. This book is filled with post high school confusion, punk rock, video games, anime style action, and heart. If you liked the movie, I promise you, you’ll love the book.
5. Ultimate Comics Spider-Man volume 2 My favorite super hero is Spider-Man. In 2011 when they announced they would be making a new Spider-Man of color I was ecstatic. As a person of color it’s been great to have a Spider-Man that fills that need for minority characters. Obviously just having a minority character isn’t enough but Brian Michael Bendis’s run on Ultimate Comics Spider-Man makes you really love the character of Miles Morales. The story of what happens after Peter Parker dies and a new clueless Spider-Man must fill the void, is nothing short of great. It puts you in the shoes of a new character trying to figure out who he is, all while trying to keep the memory of Peter Parker alive.
4. Paper Girls If you like the show “Stranger Things,” you’ll love Paper Girls. Taking place in the 1980s, 4 middle school girls, on their morning paper route get caught up in the strangest day of their lives. To ninjas, dinosaurs, time travel, clones, to apple products, Brian K. Vaughan and Cliff Chiang hit you with a sci-fi nostalgia story that will keep you guessing where the next turn is.
3. Justice League International The late 80′s had one of the greatest Justice League runs of all time. Keith Giffen and J.M. Dematteis pumped out some of the funniest and most entertaining comics to date. Focusing on the Justice League as a work place comedy, this massive run follows the adventures of a newly formed Justice League made up of mostly second string characters. The satisfaction of Batman punching out Guy Gardner, the comedy duo of Blue Beetle and Booster Gold, GNORT! If you want your super hero books to be fun and hilarious, this is the book for you. Starting in Justice League #1 through 6 and transitioning to Justice League International, then splitting between Justice League Europe and Justice League America.
2. New Avengers This comic book run written by Brian Michael Bendis is what got me back into comics after an 8 year absence. 6 months after the Avengers disbanded due to the Scarlet Witch killing some of her fellow teammates, a massive prison break, orchestrated by Electro forces Spider-Woman, Luke Cage, Daredevil, Spider-Man, Iron Man, Captain America, and the Sentry to come together to put an end to the riot. The book follows the newly formed team on their mission to track down the 42 escaped prisoners, all while trying to solve the mystery who hired Electro and why? New Avengers also brought some of the best characters in Marvel including Wolverine, Ms. Marvel, Hawkeye, Doctor Strange, Iron Fist, Jessica Jones, and more, to join the team. The book became the center stage for Marvel Comics from 2005 until 2012 running through events like House of M, Civil War, Secret Invasion, all the way to Avengers vs X-Men. It’s a fun super hero book that really throws you into the world of Marvel Comics.
HONORABLE MENTIONS Black Science Sex Criminals New Teen Titans (Marv Wolfman) Batgirl and the Birds of Prey Uncanny X-Force (Rick Remender run) Batgirl: Year One
AND NUMBER ONE….
1. Saga If you’re not reading Saga, you are missing out. A Romeo and Juliet story set in a sci-fi fantasy space adventure. In the middle of an intergalactic war, Alona and Marko leave their worlds behind to risk everything for the survival and protection of their newborn Hazel. Hunted by both sides of the war, the two travel across the stars and encountering creatures from all over the galaxy who either want to help them or want them dead. Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples take a story about the ups and downs of parenting and throws it into a cosmic and crazy story of awesomeness. Look out for Izabel, Prince Robot the IV, and Ghus. You will smile every time they are on the page.
if i were you, i’d be having a hard time carrying that name too. the difference is, i knew the first man to carry it… jeff mace. and i think jeff would be proud to have someone as smart and brave as you keeping the name alive.
Jailbreak Tommy from Young Avengers vol. 1 (first appearance)
This Tommy makes me so sad. Look at him. He’s like, 15/16 years old and he has 0 innocence left from being experimented on and tortured in a high security prison!! Props to a good aesthetic wearing white scrubs matching his hair tho. Still, I am sad. 5/10
Actual Speed original design vol. 1
CLASSIC. SHINY. HOW DO THE GOGGLES STICK TO HIS FACE??? wispy hair. Nothing beats this 11/10
He’s got an important job. Fuckin Maria don’t shoot my boy. He’s doing a great job and A+ art (i’m crazy for lots of solid black in line art) 9/10
Civil War (Runaways crossover)
lOOK AT THAT FACE. IMPECCABLE. THE ESSENCE OF TOMMY SHEPHERD. 15/10
ANIME TOMMY. here’s him out of costume. Innocence slightly restored. Very smol and soft. A good look. 8/10
Secret Invasion in costume.
STILL SOFT AND CUTE weird new colors for suit?? just roll with it. Still 8/10.
I couldn’t find any good pictures because there are none what was this art style doing? (lies, I liked this art. It fit the comic mood so well!!!) 6/10
Dark Reign (Tommy’s Date)
HE’S CUTE! 7/10
A VERY SAD BOY AND HE NEEDS A DAMN HAIRCUT 4/10
Young Avengers Presents: Speed & Wiccan
a perfect boy, pure, flawless, fast, and goes to hell. 12/10
Young Avengers Presents: Hawkeye
Douchebag Tommy. He’s literally just wearing a blazer over a t-shirt with jeans. One of my fave Tommys. 9/10
I am an Avenger
Damn right u r. 7/10
More I am an Avenger
He’s in a bad mood. But he reveals he’s a huge fucking NERD. I love him. 7/10
Young Avengers vol. 2: Work Tommy
He is happy to make a friend. He misses his brother. He misses his friends. WHy thE hECK Havent theY CALLED????? 6/10
Young Avengers vol 2 in costume
depressing. I hated this. never again. -100 points.
New Years Tommy
HE’S SO HAPPY AND HE FOUND KATE AND HIS TEAM LIFE IS GOOD KISS YO FAVE GIRL, MY GUY. 13/10
Tommy drawn by McKelvie
The only part of the entire volume 2 i enjoyed besides tommy dancing at the party. Billy loves you Tom!!!! Hug your drunk brother! 10/10
House of M: The Return of Tommy
AFTER 3 YEARS WE GOT TOMMY BACK!!! AND HE’S SO SMOL AND CUTE!! little elf boy!!! Original dark green suit color restored!! face goggles!!! 11/10
House of M design 2
Easily his coolest design ever. TOTALLY new look. New colors. AMAZING. 15/10
Adult Tommy future AU
He never changed his hairstyle. Okay. He looks handsome anyway! He’s happy he has twin babies coming!!!! Good job dad Tom!!! 8/10
Asking you about STONY! What are your favorite Stony moments in each of the universes?
1) Avengers Assemble: asking for a favourite Stony moment in AA is LIFE’S GREATEST CHALLENGE because AA stony is the definition of PURE with all the bridal carrying and extra saving but of course we have the legendary smol Tony ep because it shows that Steve loves Tony for his heart and his courage and Tony looks up to Steve for being compassionate and believing in him
LOOK AT THIS I BET STEVE EVEN SMELLED HIS HAIR HE SEEMS LIKE A HUG AND SNIFF KIND OF GUY (THAT SOUNDS WRONG BUT)
And of course this scene + all the protective Steve are just… lmao
2) EMH: Extra Large Steve is having to casually “exercise” aka show off his huge ass biceps to Tony while he’s having breakfast lmao I SEE THROUGH U CAP
This scene from Young Avengers #1 was the first time my eyes witnessed the gay SuperHusbands and SuperDads so it always holds a special place in my heart
But I have to say, the romantic and dramatic art of Tony giving life to Steve with a kiss from Red Zone is also an all-time favourite.
I feel like it is still a little ways in the making before it happens…but…isn’t it time for us to see Billy take on the mantle of Sorcerer Supreme?
That’s what I have been wanting to see for forever now. He’s one of my absolute FAVORITE Marvel characters and we know his origin(s), we know his past, present, and distant future…but not how he gets there.
Yeah, right now it is still high time for Dr. Strange because of his intro to the MCU. (Don’t get me wrong, I thought he was AWESOME and completely enjoyed his movie.) But! If you read the comics, it just seems like Billy coming along would be an answer to the current problems.
Um…spoilers ahead if you haven’t caught up yet.
1: Dr. Strange fought the whole cult of Empirikul. All of them were focused on killing off all magic. In some of the panels, we saw a lot of other magic users brought together to be burned at the stake (like Scarlet Witch, Magik, Doom, and a couple of others). Wiccan wasn’t there.
2: Dr. Strange and this depowered team of Witches and Sorcerers went out and about collecting magical items to fight back and Wiccan still wasn’t there.
3: Where was he during all this “Last Days of Magic” storyline? Did he experience any of it?
4: Mordo shows up quite a while after all this. Dr. Strange is still weak with practically no power…yet Mordo was still powerful and magical as ever. My bet is that Wiccan is too.
5: Now Mr. Misery is Dr. Strange’s focal point baddy. So much of his plot device is that he’s a price Dr. Strange’s magic has cost him. All magic comes for a price…but it seems that only the good guys are having to pay any of it.
1: She went on a long long journey to heal magic. LONG STORY SHORT, she found the source of magic and defeated what was weakening it.
2: During all this, she met her mother and discovered that she is still on a path to self discovery. Namely…who the hell is her father now?!
3: If her mother was super powerful, I feel and hope it’s safe to assume that he was/is too. Maybe that ties in to why Billy was born to write the laws of magic?
4: Wanda has also been paying a price for her magic. Each spell she cast aged her and brought her closer to an early death. That’s been reset…but it sounds like a “law” that can be “rewritten” by someone.
~Dr. Strange and the Sorcerers Supreme~
1: Billy is revealed to be the Sorcerer Supreme in the future timeline. He is wearing the Eye and has the Cape of Levitation…
1.a: THAT I ALSO WANT EXPLAINED!!!! (It looks like the fashion love child of Cloak and the Cape. Did Cloak also die and just bequeath himself to Billy and/or just merge with the Cape?) Dr. Strange noticed the cape and all Wiccan said was basically, “Long story.”
2: We know that Dr. Strange dies and that’s what ultimately makes the mantle of Sorcerer Supreme get passed on.
~Young/New Avengers/Future Xmen
1: Yeah Billy/Wiccan is still growing and powering up…but he’s basically already proving to be unlimited. He started doing magic on his own. He’s practiced, trained, and become more and more powerful.
2: Everyone keeps saying that he is the Demiurge and is destined to rewrite the laws of magic.
3: Also…he joins the Xmen and ¿leads? them.
Well…doesn’t it feel like it’s FINALLY time that story begins?
It is time to see “Wiccan” appearing on our local comic book shelves.