How To Have a Positive Fandom Experience (it is possible)
1. Not every post requires a reaction. Seriously. I see people exhausting themselves writing responses to a post they don’t agree with when in reality the ONE nice thing about tumblr is if you don’t agree with an opinion you can scroll…. right…. past it. You can hide it from appearing on your dash again. You can blacklist its tags, block the person, etc. Take advantages of the positives of this website and it will already be a much better experience for you.
2. Not every comment requires a reaction. Same thing above goes for all those comments people put on your posts JUST TO GET A REACTION OUT OF YOU. Do you know how many times a post of mine has made it’s way to a different fandom. I look through my notifs and suddenly just see “BELLAMY BLAKE SUX DIK.” Just. Block them.
3. Not every message requires a response. Again, no ones holding a gun to your head saying “you need to respond to every anon sent to you.” I see people responding to anon hate and I just think why the hell would you do that? You’ll NEVER see me respond to anon hate. I can’t think of anything funnier then knowing someone out there got heated enough just over my presence on the internet to type up an angry message, hide behind anon, and now is sitting there waiting for my response. Meanwhile i’ll have read all of 3 words in their message before blocking their IP from ever messaging me again. And they’ll just keep sitting there and checking back waiting for a response they’ll never get while I keep posting shit like “BLARKE IS GONNA FUCK”
4. Unfollow, break mutuals, block people. You’re ALLOWED to do that. I break mutuals all the time and I unfollow people really easily. There’s a reason I’m never following over 90 blogs. I’m not saying that to be cocky, I’m telling yall to drop the mentality that “oh I can’t unfollow this person because we used to talk and they’re kinda big in the fandom and I don’t wanna start shit” and that ever since I dropped that, I do not see drama on my dash. I see my other mutuals referring to the drama, but I never see it because I’ll have already unfollowed the person. IF THEY WERE PROBLEMATIC ONCE,,, THEY’LL BE PROBLEMATIC AGAIN.
5. This “Discourse” Trend. isn’t. cute. Take it from someone who used to constantly get involved in that shit. You think it makes you “one of the blarke fam.” It doesn’t okay, it makes you one of the assholes. No one wants to be friends with that person who’s constantly angry about something. I understand calling out problematic things (that absolutely should happen) but when every single one of your posts is just you being angry, you making a problem out of every little thing, you bringing down others with you, you getting involved where you shouldn’t be, you fighting people, you writing posts shading someone else’s post, you bringing up old and DEAD shipwars (seriously why are yall still posting l.exa hate, LET IT GO)… you’re not only ruining the experience for yourself but for every single person who follows you and who sees those posts. YOU are contributing to the “fandom drama” and YOU are the reason so many of the newbies in the fandom get involved in discoursing so fast. And guess what? no one feels fucking sorry for you when you’re the one taking a break from tumblr every week because we all know you bring it on yourself.
**To the newbies in the fandom: I know you see it a lot, I know you think this is the only way to be involved in the blarke fam, I know you think it’ll get you a lot of followers and more known in the fandom. Trust me when I say you do not wanna go down that path. It’s not at all fun and there’s a reason the blogs who do this are the ones who want to quit the show, the fandom, tumblr. TRUST ME, I ALMOST QUIT LAST SUMMER, I WAS THAT BITCH. You wanna be more involved? message people, write positive posts, get involved with shit like bellarke fam selfie night. Stay away from the discoursing.
*Doesn’t apply to social justice issues, those should very much be talked about. But stfu about it if you’re straight and white please. And stop speaking over the lgbt poc in the fandom,,,in attempt to get notes and followers*
6. Stop being bullies. You might think you’re “edgy” and a badass bitch for writing a post shading someone, or for being part of a group that gangs up on that one person in the fandom. You’re not edgy, you’re not That Bitch, you’re just A Bitch. You’re the bully that you never got to be in highschool. That’s really all I have to say about that,,,just don’t be a dick ??
7. And finally. Be the positive presence. Be that blog people can come to for a laugh when they’re having a bad day (making people laugh feels a lot nicer then getting people angry, down, etc.) Be the person people feel comfortable enough messaging you. Be the person who drops KIND anons in the ask box of someone you feel maybe doesn’t always receive a lot of love. ***Reach out when someone makes a post about having a terrible day/being in a down mood/struggling with life or mental illnesses.*** Comment and reblog peoples selfies and hype eachother up. Be the person who points out positives of an episode and who can make someone feel better when they’re feeling disappointed. IGNORE THE NEGATIVE ANONS (seriously no one wants to see “bellarke is never gonna happen” on their dash. If we did, we’d be following people from a different fandom.) Ignore the drama, ignore the discourse, ignore the downers in the fandom.
You never know what someones going through outside of tumblr. For a lot of people logging on here is the only distraction they get from what’s going on in their real life. Think about that before putting something negative on someone dash, or before sending a mean anon, or before joining a group to shade That One Person.