boom boom; no one asked but here is my perceptive on the ‘i want to be mare but i am white- what should i do/ would i get the role?’ topic.
please no hate, i’m allowed to state my opinion.
The answer to the question (for me) is very simple: no. personally, i do not think you would get the role. you might be the best actor in the whole world, but pale as hell, and i don’t feel as if you should get the roll. there are so many different reasons why (here are a few):
1. the casting/ directors would get a TON of backlash. Mare is latina, and if they were to cast a white person in her role it would be whitewashing. some people might refuse to go see the movie which could make it drop in popularity, and income, which would all in all be terrible. it could be taken out of theaters sooner, and ruin jobs for the casting, and director.
2. there needs to be more representation in the media. red queen has a huge following, and if everyone in the fandom tells all there friends and families to see the rq movie (when it comes out) who have no previous reading experience to the books, it will get more population, thus more ads on tv. more people will see it. and the best part would be– that there would be a non-white lead!!! i mean think of how big that would be, i know there have been leads in the past who have not been white, but i mean a latina lead would be amazing! it would make people see past race and say (or think) ‘hey not every white person is the hero, heros can be anyone, any race.’ And for people who havent read the book think back on the movie think mare is white, remember her as white– which she isnt. it would also open peoples eyes to different races in big screen media.
3. In book one, mare’s skin is paled to fit into silver life. think logically here guys, if mare was cast as a white person how would they do this? throughout the series mare struggles as who she is always saying ‘im not Marena (idk how to spell it give me a break)’ what would happen for this scene? honestly? would they just take it out of the movie? its half of the red queen book! and even if you got a ‘spray tan’ to try and not be pale, or make yourself look more ‘latina’…… dont. dont even think about doing that. one, you shouldnt try and change your damn race for a role its not appropriate at all. two, just dont. seriously.
4. If a younger generation saw the movie, it could make them looking up to mare. i mean hell, who doesnt look up to mare? shes a badass. but it would influence the younger kids (or something) to look up to different people of different races, expanding there line of intrest.
some additional mini-rants/ points:
- acting is just the half of it, looking the role is also looked upon at casting calls and is still very important.
Now for the answer for ‘what should i do’: I think you could still try out if you are white. you CAN try out for mare, i am not stopping you at all, just be remembering my points. if you dont get mare just dont be salty. dont let race stop you from living your dreams,
add what u guys think!! (if u want im not forcing u)