Hi Emma, I'm currently in year 11 and I'm just really behind in my classwork any advice on how to catch up with work? thank you.
Hi! How I’d go about catching up would be:
- prepare yourself in the morning - have breakfast, brush your teeth, wash your face/shower, drink some water, stretch, get dressed! Getting yourself ready and not staying in your pj’s will really help! I always will do a little morning routine before I study/revise/read/etc.
- organise - make sure everything you need to sorted, all your notes are in order and any incomplete worksheets are flagged.
- figure out what priority everything needs to be done in - depending on how you like to organise you can either plan it out in subject order or use the Eisenhower Decision Matrix which decides the urgency and importance of each task. If you need an example, here is one! It can just give you a bit more structure on what needs to be done first.
- plan it out - make a schedule for everything and be realistic. Make time to spend on each subject, task, assignment. It is better to give yourself extra time on a task than end up ‘behind’ and then stressing out more. You might find my study schedule printable useful. Check this page to download it.
- avoid procrastinating - yes, that is extremely difficult but is the best way to make up the time you’ve missed. Take breaks and time to relax but if the more you can avoid stalling, the faster you’ll be caught up. It may take time to fully catch up but it will be worth the work! Some more tips are here.
- make your environment promote studying - make sure it’s bright, tidy and functional. Have everything you need close by. Maybe put up a few motivational things like pictures or quotes. This also means avoiding using your bed for studying. Use your desk, the kitchen bench top or a dining table.
- take breaks and refuel - break up your study time with casual breaks and time for lunch! These small breaks can help you refocus and be more productive.
Hope this helps xx