some tips on being a trans guy and dealing with menstruation:
- it’s cool if you don’t use tampons. i’m 19 years old and i have never once used a tampon for a lot of reasons and there are a lot of pads out there that you won’t even feel are there (personally i’ve never had a bad experience with kotex)
- if blood is a source of dysphoria, it always helps me to 1) change my pads a lot which you should be doing anyway, but always carry some with you in case you’re feeling more uncomfortable than usual and want to change more frequently
- 2) taking a shower and washing as much as i can get rid of away, don’t use soap or anything all you need is water and your fingers. it’s not the most pleasant thing and it can be pretty gross to feel but it’s especially helpful for me on the first day when i’m personally always heavier or when i wake up in the morning and don’t want to feel gross getting out of the house. it’s worth it in the long run.
- if you can feel it coming and you have cramps or it’s predictable, take some pain relievers if you can. i use generic advil/ibuprofen and i can catch the cramps before they happen or at least make them tolerable
- if you do have cramps and they do hit you before any medication can, or if you can’t take medication and it gets overwhelming, hot showers are a godsend, especially if you have a removable shower head, warm water (not burning too hot) below your navel can really help for a while and it’ll help you calm down
- try to wear looser-fitting clothes if you can, like when i was in high school i’d wear pajamas when i was on my period and nobody ever really cared. baggy shirt and pajamas week. it’ll be more relaxing and there’s less pressure and less focus on where the pain comes from, i always notice it’s worse when i’m wearing things like jeans
- if you can, invest in a heating pad or an icy-hot thing. amazing for night and amazing for distraction, if you can’t take showers a lot i’d consider this a pretty good alternative and it helps with cramps as well as just general relaxation and it takes your focus off of it
feel free to add anything?