Hey Dana. I was wondering if you have any plans to develop and pitch a show of your own. If you do, what advice do you have for people who want to create their own show?
I did have plans to pitch a show. And I pitched it! And Disney bought it! And now I’m developing it! It’s difficult and exciting ESPECIALLY because I’m doing all this for the first time. I hope I can show some images someday!
If I were to give one piece of advice to past me, it’d be to get comfortable writing entertaining scripts. As a showrunner the most important thing will be The Show, and 90% of The Show comes from The Writing. It’s difficult to find writers who will 100% understand your vision but if that’s an area you’re comfortable in you’ll never be an dire straits. I had never professionally written a script before my pilot. If I did maybe that part wouldn’t have been as stressful at the time haha.
But let’s say you’re already good there. You’re good everywhere!
How to pitch a thing! I used to love making “pitch books” as a kid, though I had no idea that’s what I was doing. It was just fun to develop worlds and characters! So even if you’re in HS or younger, making “pitch books” is a great way to spend your time and practice for the future. So get to it! Here’s just one format you can try:
1. Cover page with short description of show and a fun image of your main character!
2. ½-1 full page describing your main character/s! (Don’t start with exhaustive explanations about the world, or any legends, or w/e, we’re here bc we want to connect with a character).
3. A couple pages with any other important characters you may have!
4. A page describing the most important relationships between your main character/s and others!
5. Simple 1 page description on how your world works! If it’s too complicated to get on one page, SIMPLIFY! Even the most complicated ideas can be pitched in 1-2 sentences.
6. Important places! The main characters house? The bad guy’s castle? Stuff like that.
7. Give em a couple episode examples! That’s where your show comes together, after all.
And you’re done!
Fill your pitch book with fun images that show off your characters and your world! You don’t have to follow this format exactly, it’s your show, your pitch, do whatever you think will show off your ideas best. If you’re making an epic you might want to dedicate a page to where you want the show to go, and how the characters will evolve. Everything depends on what you want to make. But above all: Make it interesting to read!!! Make it fun to look at!!! Boredom is your enemy, fight against it!!!!
Are my exclamation points making this easier to understand? GREAT!!!!!
Now get out there and pitch some things cause I want new shows to watch.