❗️Things you should know about the Graham-Cassidy Healthcare Bill ❗️
• There is not enough time between now and September 30 to get an accurate CBO score that tells us how many people will lose coverage as well as what the bill will cost, and that is inexcusable.
• It ends individual and employer mandates, which will drive premiums up. It will also end federal subsidies for individual insurance. This is estimated to leave 32 million people uninsured.
• It takes the money going to the states that opted ‘in’ to Medicaid expansion and distributes it among all states, even those whose legislatures irresponsibly voted against expansion. In 2026, funding for Medicaid expansion would end entirely, and the shortfall would be left for the states to cover.
• It institutes a one year freeze on Medicaid reimbursements for Planned Parenthood (even though federal law already prohibits federal tax dollars being used to fund or finance abortion services)
• It allows individual states to define what constitutes an “essential benefit”, which will likely result in a slash of coverage for maternity services, cancer treatments and services, ER visits, prescription drugs, and many more benefits. This could also further prevent women’s clinics from charging Medicaid for things like cancer screenings and birth control.
• It allows insurers to double their surcharge for elderly patients. (The ACA allows insurers to charge older customers up to 3 times as much as younger ones. This bill increases that to up to 5 times as much.)
• It allows insurers to charge higher rates based on health status, and it repeals language in the ACA which prevents changing insurance rates after a patient is diagnosed with a condition.
This is not a drill, friends. Call your senators. We have until the 30th.
202-224-3121 -> US Capitol Switchboard. This will connect you directly with the senate office you request.
ResistBot is another great resource. If you text 'resist’ to 50409, you can fax straight to your senators office by texting what you want to say.
TL:DR; the healthcare bill still sucks. Call your senators. Information on how above ^^