Barn Mates was
first aired exactly a year ago today… and what a monumental episode it was
for both Lapis and Peridot!
For those of us who were already shipping Lapidot, it was a
dream come true – and for some of those who weren’t,
it opened their eyes to a whole new (and now completely canonically viable)
I’ve written about this episode a few times in the past, but
it feels fitting to look back on it again today; for day one of Lapidot Anniversary Week!
So, without further ado…
The episode opens with Peridot wistfully speaking into her
tape recorder about sharing her new home with Lapis. Only a couple of episodes prior to this
point, Peridot had made the decision to stay at the barn by herself whilst the
other Crystal Gems returned to the temple.
The fact that she now so enthusiastically wants to share her home with Lapis
(as opposed to going back with the other Gems or staying by herself in the barn) just shows that she already has
some level of admiration for Lapis.
“Why don’t we watch the sun come up and figure out what
we’re going to do with all this time, eh Lazuli?”
Watching the sun rise with someone is an old romantic
tradition/cliché, so the fact that Peridot specifically mentions wanting to do
this with Lapis certainly speaks some volumes.
And it also transpires…
…that this line was foreshadowing a scene that came later
in the show – in Room For Ruby, not
only are they watching the sun rise together (just as Peridot wanted to do),
they’ve actually been sat together all night stargazing prior to this point,
which is another activity that has obvious romantic connotations.
After Peridot has finished speaking into the tape recorder
in Barn Mates, Lapis expresses her
desire to live in the barn all on her own.
Steven suggests that the barn be split down the middle, with each of the
two Gems having their own “side”, which leads to a very interesting shot of the
pair of them:
Notice how they’re effectively framing a picture that’s
behind them. This picture is of the
barn’s previous owners – Greg’s aunt and uncle, who Greg described back in Space Race as follows:
“My aunt and uncle had a great love for aviation, and each
other. They cherished the years they
spent together, and they held on to every belonging they ever owned.”
It’s interesting, then, that a picture of a happy couple has
been placed directly in-between Lapis
and Peridot in this shot. This becomes
something of a trend as the show progresses, with the picture being placed
in-shot with Peridot and Lapis on occasion in a fair few other episodes, such as these:
This could well be foreshadowing a romantic relationship
between Lapis and Peridot. The fact that
Greg mentions “aviation” is also something interesting to think about,
considering that Lapis can fly and Peridot was the pilot of the Hand Ship back
Lapis isn’t keen on the idea of splitting the barn, telling
Steven that Peridot is the problem:
“I can’t stand the thought of looking at her everyday!”
This statement is now somewhat ironic because, in the episodes since Barn Mates, Lapis almost always has her eyes on Peridot – and gives
her some extremely suggestive looks,
Peridot and Steven both try to assure Lapis that Peridot has
changed, but she doesn’t want to hear it.
Steven thinks it’s “sweet” that Peridot wants Lapis to see how much
she’s changed since their last encounter, and he helps her to make an apology
card which has a very interesting picture drawn on the front of it:
Steven may well have the intent of getting Peridot and Lapis
to be friends, but he’s drawn them looking like an actual couple here; they’re even holding hands.
Eventually, after some persuasion from Steven, Lapis joins
them – and a beaming Peridot hands over the card. This still fails to win-over an unimpressed
Lapis, much to Peridot’s disdain.
“It took me over an hour to compose [the message in the
card], and I was the most
sincere as per Steven’s instructions!”
The fact that Peridot put so much time into her apology
message gives us an indication of how highly Peridot thinks of Lapis – and how
much she wants to make her feel better.
She then spends some time deliberating what she could give to Lapis as a
gift (upon Steven’s suggestion), and they come up with an idea…
“H-2-Oh my GOSH!” …
“It’s a gift for you! You know, ‘cause water’s your thing.”
mannerisms and tone of voice here are very flirtatious. However, given Lapis’ previous traumatic
experience of being trapped on the bottom of the ocean, this is another idea
that falls completely flat.
And what does
pool?! What a cloddy idea! Of course
she wouldn’t like that!”
She actually blames herself
for the mistake. This is very
uncharacteristic of Peridot, who normally has a very lofty opinion of herself
and her intellectual capacity – which, again, shows how highly she must think of
Lapis. She even uses the word “cloddy”
to describe her own idea; with “clod” being an insult that she usually only
ever levels at other people when she’s at her most angry.
She then decides to make a very grand gesture…
…and offers her most prized possession – the tape recorder
– to Lapis as a gift.
She’s very flirtatious in doing so here, as well. With a wink and a smile, she tells Lapis:
“See, the ribbon is
even blue. I got yo’ number!”
Peridot has offended all of the other Gems at some point in
the past, but she’s never been seen to perform as grand a gesture as this one
in order to win them over.
Peridot is, in a lot of ways, incredibly materialistic - she
has been shown on more than one occasion to hold her very few possessions really
closely to her. By Peridot’s standards, handing the tape recorder
over is essentially the biggest thing she could do for someone, which is a very
clear indication of her feelings towards Lapis.
This gesture is completely lost on Lapis, however, who
proceeds to crush the tape recorder in her hand.
Usually in these situations, Peridot would be distraught
that one of her possessions had been destroyed (see, for example, Peridot on
her knees begging Amethyst not to throw away her beloved tablet in Too Short To Ride). However, this time, she actually seems to be
upset by the fact that she’s managed to upset Lapis once again, exclaiming:
“What, were you trapped in a tape recorder too?!”
Peridot is exasperated by this point, and gives a very
heartfelt speech which, I believe, really gets to the root of one of the key
reasons why a relationship between Lapis and Peridot just makes perfect sense:
“Look, I get it, you
know? You’re confused! You can never go back to Homeworld.
This place doesn’t exactly feel like home yet. You’re alone, no one could
possibly know what that feels like! Oh wait, I do! We’re
the same, except… you don’t have to be alone.”
She and Lapis are going through the exact same thing
at basically the same time; namely, being stranded on earth with no way of
returning to Homeworld. There’s literally no-one else who they could bond
with over this, except for each other – it’s a common ground that they share
with each other and only each other. It’s logical and sensible
storytelling, therefore, to have these two characters stick together and share
the experience with each other. It puts them on equal ground, gives them
both an acute understanding of each other, and enables them to both support one
another as they adjust to life on earth.
At this point in Barn
Mates, however, Lapis still isn’t having any of it. Peridot, clearly at her wits end, asks what
Lapis wants from her. Lapis angrily
tells Peridot that she wants her to leave… and that’s exactly what Peridot
does. She wants Lapis to be happy so much that she’s even willing to give
up her home so that Lapis can live there instead.
As she walks away, Steven reprimands Lapis for treating
Peridot so badly. As he’s talking, Lapis
folds her arms and shifts on the spot, her gaze meeting the crushed tape
recorder on the floor. Everything about
her body language in this scene exudes
Peridot comes screaming back towards them moments later,
however – being pursued by a Roaming Eye that she’s convinced is after
The trio flee from the ship, but eventually come
face-to-face with it, which causes Peridot to cower behind Steven in fear.
…Lapis steps forward, and glances back at a wide-eyed Peridot.
This scene is very important because it’s the first time we
ever get to see that Lapis does actually care about Peridot, despite the
pair of them getting off to a very turbulent start. She steps up to
defend the helpless Peridot from the Roaming Eye, and makes sure to
specifically ask Peridot if she’s ok after the threat has been neutralised –
proving that she didn’t only have
Steven’s interests at heart when she took out the Roaming Eye.
What happens next needs no introduction…
Peridot has still, to this day, never looked at anyone else
with such love. The way that her hands are clasped to her
chest makes it the typical “cartoon character looking at their love interest”
pose. That smile on her face is
literally the biggest one that she’s ever given. And Lapis’ deep blush, that she actually
turns her head away from Peridot in an attempt to hide, is also a reaction from
her that’s unique to this scene – and very much implies that the apparent
feeling of attraction is mutual. There
appears to be some symbolism behind the sun coming out as Peridot smiles,
too. This could well be an indication
that Lapis is warming up to Peridot
and seeing her in a new light. It also has a somewhat poetic quality to it,
with the storm clouds (both literal and metaphorical) dissipating at this very
Steven picks up on what’s going on, giggling to himself as
he looks at Lapis. It’s also very
interesting that Peridot’s loving look is still lingering even after the camera
angle has changed – this is no fleeting “micro expression”, it’s a very
prolonged and deliberate look…
…which was the first of very, very many that the pair of
them have since gone on to give each other (the above images being a small handful of examples).
All in all, Barn Mates
was the start of a very beautiful relationship between these two Gems, which
has well and truly endured throughout the past twelve months – and has gotten
ever stronger with each episode that they’ve appeared in together.
Omg love your HCs!! They are all so cute!!!! >V< can u please do RFA +V and Saeran x MC first time holding hands? Like what would their reactions be?? Again LOVE your HCs!!! Omg bye!!~~
(THANK YOU ANON! I GOT YOU!)
• Honestly, it wasn’t very long in your relationship you started holding hands.
• Basically it was your first date.
• The both of you were just walking in the park together. Laughing, and getting to know each other.
• And my god you looked so perfect. He actually wanted to just kiss you. I mean, the sun was shining on your flawless skin, the wind blew stands of (H/C) hair in your face..it was breath taking.
• BUT HE KNEW THAT MIGHT GET WEIRD ON A FIRST DATE S O!!!!
• He slowly inched his hand down beside yours, and began interlacing your small, delicate fingers in his larger ones.
• hEBLUSHEDSOHARD, BUT MADE EYE CONTACT AND YOU JUST- WOAHMAN HEY WUDDUP AHA.
• After that, he never really likes going out in public without your hand in his.
• This cheeky little sh-
• After he finally realized his true feelings for you, and stopping pushing everything and everyone away (anti-social much? Me too.)
• He asked you to go to a cat shelter with him.
• After all, Vanderwood didn’t say his partner couldn’t have a cat and just so happen to..bring it over. A lot.
• Does this count as your first date? Well, technically. You’ve hung out a lot, but never really anywhere but the parties and RFA members houses.
• “(Y/N)!!! This cat is just so cute! You should have it! I’ll even pay!”
• “Seven- I- I can’t take care of a cat?!”
• He B E G S.
• And for the first time, he gently grabs a hold of your hand, holding it tightly in his.
• He places a kiss on your cheek, and gives you the cutest little pouty face.
• At this point, you’re a blushing, awkward mess.
• “Uh-m uh..some soft hands you got there..”
• He smirks for a moment, before thinking of the dumbest thing he can say in that moment.
• “thanks, I use a lot of lotion. If you catch my dri-”
• “O K A Y SO LETS GET THE CAT AND SKADADDLE OKBYE NOW, FUNTIMES WOO.”
• But you never did seem to let go of his hand, the rest of the day, at least.
• You would think it would take a while for him to get all..lovey dovey with you.
• But it was kind of a happy medium.
• So basically, it was the 4th-5th ‘date’
• Really doesn’t want to rush things. He’s a firm believer that love takes time.
• But when it happens, it’s actually kind of sweet.
• You’re lying on his couch, waiting for him to come back in with the breakfast he ‘couldn’t wait to make for you’
• He walks in the living room to check on you, smiling over at your resting figure.
• He can’t help but want to keep walking towards you.
• And soon, he can’t even control himself?
• “Jumin? What are you-”
• He picks you up, and sets you down in his lap, all whilst placing you hand in his.
• And he doesn’t even really say much. Other than he “felt like it” when questioned on what he was doing.
• This was cute, comfortable and all, but..
• “whats that burning smell??”
• okay this is so obvious but.
• coFFEE DATEEE!!!
• Or at least, on your way to.
• It’s a really cold morning, the two of you have been dating for a couple weeks now. So, you decided to bundle up, and grab some coffee.
• Now, she didn’t have gloves. You would think she would, but ohhoho, Nope she is not prepared.
• Thankfully, you have a trick up your sleeve. A smoothhhh move, this way it won’t be awkward to make the move. You go, (Y/N).
• You take off the glove on one of your hands, and hand it to her.
• At this point, she’s looking between you and glove, a bit confused.
• You then place your uncovered, warm hand in her freezing one.
• “What are you waiting for, silly? Put on the other glove~”
• You smooth mother-
• She’s a blushing mess, really. But she adores you.
• he’s so innocent. He’s never even held hands.
• One day, you’re playing games with him at his place, and well…beating him.
• “How are you so good at this?!” Yoosung frustratedly says.
• “I guess I’m just a pro.”
• He gives you an 'o really’ look, with the intent of picking up his game.
• But he needed motivation.
• “if I win this next round, you have to hold hands with me the rest of the day. Minus when one of us needs to go to the restroom.”
• He still lost tho, lol.
• But, you couldn’t help but want your own prize.
• “how about we do it anyways?”
• HES SUCH A MESS.
• YOUR HAND IS SO!!! CUTE! AND SOFT! AND JUST!!!!! HE WANTS TO HOLD IT FOREVER!!!!
• Yes, you’re that couple.
• The one that is always painfully close and always holding the others hands.
• But he loves every minute of it. And so do you.
• It was not long at allll before you help hands.
• Before he got eye surgery, he needed your “help” to get around. So, he wanted you to hold his hand and guide him around so he could get the things he needed to get.
• But he could actually see well enough.
• He just wanted to hold your hand.
• You had butterflies, he had butterflies, you two were honestly just lovey messes on the inside.
• But you loved it.
• When he got the eye surgery, you had no idea. And he made you hold his hand again…however, something was off. It seemed he was bringing you along more than you were to him..
• “V- can you..”
• You were then cut off by none other than Jumin, who just so happened to be driving by.
• “V! How’d that surgery go?”
• Okay so he was not getting physical ATTT ALLLL!!!
• And this kind of frustrated you.
• Yes, sweetie I know you’re bad with human interaction buT WE HAVE BEEN DATING ALMOST 2 MONTHS PLS LOVE ME.
• So, RFA helped you come up with a plan. A jealously plan.
• Yep, you were gonna try and get Saeran to get all jealous and protective over you. Maybe even get him to get a little closer.
• It started small, You’d have Yoosung start flirting a little with you in the group chat.
• Plan fails, and Saeran just leaves the chats with no word.
• You knew you had to step up the game.
• One day, you and Saeran go out for a walk around town, just casually talking with each other.
• When you 'coincidentally’ run into Zen just up ahead.
• “(Y/N)! Hey! You look cute today!”
• You weren’t expecting him to say that of all things, so you couldn’t help the tiny blush that appeared on your face.
• “Awh, tha-”
• This is when you felt your hand get tightly enveloped by another.
• Saeran was jealous.
• And unafraid to show it.
• “Looks like I’m interrupting a little date~ see you on he messenger, later! Have fun you two!”
• When Zen leaves, Saeran still doesn’t let your hand go.
• “You know..this is actually kind of..nice..” He awkward says.
• cuE HEART E X P L O S I O N
• ERROR (Y/N)
• YOU DID IT.
• From here on, he starts becoming more and more physically affectionate~ thank you, Zen!
Anonymous asked: “I really want to start writing a book that I’ve had ideas for rolling around in my mind for a while now. The only problem is I can’t find the motivation to start writing and I’m struggling with getting started. It feels like my imagination is dying!”
Starting a novel can sometimes be intimidating. It’s not physically difficult, but mentally you might face some unexpected roadblocks. I can’t say this is something I’ve ever particularly worried about, but it happens. You get in your head and psych yourself out. You love the idea you’ve been working on and feel there’s a lot riding on it when it comes to putting it on the page.
The secret to getting over this feeling: take a deep breath and remind yourself that this isn’t the first chapter, this is the first draft. No one will know what you’re writing or if you’re writing anything great. In fact, you can even tell yourself, your idea’s not perfect. It needs work still. Even say, this is just for fun. We’ll see where this goes.
Wolfgang ‘Fucking’ Bogdanow after silently walking around the planet, collecting his cluster, and I’m like ‘Boy, don’t play, we all know that you need your fam’. (He got all of the women before he got any of the other men, and got the one fellow white man last, when he was looking for unspoken solidarity-specific strength! That’s just too perfect in any way that you look at it.)
I. Fucking. Love. My. Eight. Children!!!
Now, let’s fuck some shit up, and let Kala be a sexy bad-ass like her man!