Celebrating St. Patrick's Day in America:
I need to vent about something that’s been bothering me for the better part of 23 years.
There’s a difference between celebrating a culture and celebrating a stereotype.
• corned beef and cabbage is not a traditional Irish meal. It’s all the Irish immigrants in America could afford because the Americans treated them like dirt right up through the industrial revolution and the building of the railroads. Even when my mom came over, her family was discriminated against!
• it’s “Paddy” not “Patty”. Paddy is short for Padraig, the patron saint of Ireland for whom we celebrate this day in the first place. Ps/ Saint Patrick was originally not from Ireland - little fun fact for ya.
• sure, we Irish are known worldwide for our ability to drink, but at least we can hold our alcohol. All y'all decked out from head to toe in several shades of green (which totally clash, ew) who get drunk and make racial slurs, you look like total twats. Enjoy your well deserved hangover.
• every other day of the year, people make fun of me for my pale complexion and inability to tan. People assume that I’m an alcoholic who loves potatoes. (Ok, I do love potatoes, but I also love tacos and spaghetti.) People don’t believe I’m Irish because I’m so tall, I have dark hair, and I don’t have freckles (excuse me, what?) So many things… But today you decide you want to steal my heritage and you make it a joke. I’m tired of being the punch line on Family Guy or people asking me about my “Lucky Charms”. For God’s sake, EDUCATE YOURSELVES and don’t be a jerk. Just because I’m white doesn’t mean it’s not racism.
• leprechauns are cool, but have you heard of selkies? Read about the myths and legends! Read about the actual history! Read about Newgrange and the Hills of Tara and the Aran Islands! Did you know on the shores of Inis Oirr, I’ve seen jelly fish and a dolphin? Galway is lined with Palm trees on the coast. Temple Bar in Dublin is so urban and neat. You can climb ancient ruins and explore REAL castles! I mean that is just so cool!!!
Please, I implore you to learn something new and exciting about my culture today! Have fun, be safe, and don’t be tacky.