Finally, there are robots robot boyfriends who wear each other’s clothes. (Clothes? Pieces?)
I’m sorry this one too so long, since most of you know I’ve been dealing with chained concussions on and off for over a year. Still, this was such a joy to do, because Zenyatta is my sweet boy - and now looks like General Grievous’ jedi cousin.
Genji looks a bit odd to me still, and don’t even get me started on how Zenyatta taught him to float… But I took a fair amount of artistic liberties with their designs since neither of them have full reference for the parts of their bodies that aren’t covered? It’s like they planned this.
I check the webpage out of habit, but Meredith Gran’s comic work Octopus Pie is over. I feel like this is how sports fans feel when a jersey is retired and lifted to the rafters, forever in its untouchable place, time divided between when it was active and whatever comes after.
That might sound grandiose, but in my mind, nothing tops the ten year run of Octopus Pie. And in the lifespan of what we call Webcomics, 2007-2017 is a granddaddy of a run, worthy of names like “pioneering,” “influential” and “groundbreaking” because in the space of those years, in this new medium, there was room to be those things without any hyperbole. The comics landscape of the past decade needed filling out and Meredith carved her space out with precision, showing a polish and drive and a talent from the beginning that set a high standard.
I’m guessing that I started Hark a Vagrant about six months after Octopus Pie began, but Meredith’s was already a name to be reckoned with, due to the solid reputation of her previous comic Skirting Danger and because she was an honest to god trained animator in a sea of stickmen comics or two-dudes-on-a-couch comics (RIP forever *kisses fingers, holds them to the sky*). I was intimidated by her sheer capability. But inspired too. I did not need to be intimidated, she was one of the first people I met in comics, and easily one of the best.
Meredith and I briefly shared an apartment and a studio, and I can tell you, she can draw circles around everyone you know. I later shared a studio with Mike Holmes, who could also draw circles around everyone, and now the two of them are married in some sort of talent supernova. I am happy for them, even though I feel like I make grade three crayon pictures next to them. But the other thing that being friends with Meredith for a long time has shown is the cutting wit, the care for stories done right, the love for a medium that will take you through highs and lows that come with comics, and lately through her job as a comics professor, the nurturing of upcoming talent. I see all of this in Octopus Pie, a comic where character was paramount, where plots were expertly moved, a fine balance was found between the messiness of people and the fun you can have with stories, where subtle emotional movements where rendered with room to breathe, where I felt like I could reach deep into the hearts and minds of the characters on the page because they had been fleshed out so well over the years that they seemed as real people, people that I loved.
I don’t really like that phrase “comics will break your heart,” commonly attributed to Schultz, or Kirby, it doesn’t really matter. You see it all the time, mostly when people are reckoning with the fact that they work in an unforgiving medium. I don’t even know what it is about the saying that I don’t like. Maybe it’s because we all know that comics are hard work, we all know that you might put your life and blood and heart into something and you might get nothing back. There are no surprises to be found there - it’s not a bad day you had, it’s a life you’re well aware of living, if you do. But we love the perserverers in comics. The people who live the phrase are the ones who inspire us the most.
I’m saying all this, and pardon the segue, because I have seen Octopus Pie, some of the finest story work of my generation, passed for recognition time and again and it confuses the hell out of me, truly. I don’t want to turn a tribute to a work I hold dear into sour grapes, that’s not the intention here, but lord above, if I can’t point this out now, then when can I? We all know that there are no guarantees in this life (comics will break your heart) but I’ll say this once and then leave it: this is a comic of quality that was miles ahead of so many of its peers, and it deserved better, industry wise. To wrap up the earlier point, maybe I don’t like CWBYH because it implies that you should shrug your shoulders and not ask for better every time, that a short end of some kind of stick is expected even. That’s easy when it’s yourself, but speaking as a fan now, I say to heck with shrugging, I want to put Meredith on my shoulders and parade her around and dump her into a Scrooge McDuck thing full of awards.
Actually that sounds pointy and bad and the Ignatz awards are bricks to begin with so maybe forget that analogy but you get the idea.
I hope you read Octopus Pie, I hope you buy the books. I hope the legacy of it is long and full, because it always will be for me. And I think readers will agree, because I know this devoted fan base pretty well. I read the comments, I’ve sat next to Mer at comic shows, I’ve listened to some of the emails that touched her. I know this is a comic that meant a lot, to a lot of us. In this world of work we put our hearts and souls into to begin with, that is a wonderfully worthy thing.
I do not know what Meredith will do next, but whatever it is, I am here for it, seat pulled close to the stage. The retired jersey is in the rafters, the game is still being played by the people who dreamed better because it was there. Aw what can I say, I’m sentimental!
so i didn’t know what i wanted to draw more so i drew them all instead
(these are all totally platonic btw)
some info about the pics: i really wanted to draw a cute Dad Might head kiss. i kinda hope we see this in canon b/c it’s such a Dad thing to do
i have this headcanon that after the midterm exam, Todoroki and Momo become really close and comfortable around each other, and enjoy sleeping next to each other. Todoroki is also really nice to sleep next to b/c he can regulate his body temperature. (i also like the idea that they have sleepovers at the dorms)
Bakugou sleeps like the dead and woke up like five hours after Kaminari drew that. everyone in class 1a has a picture of it on their phone. Bakugou vowes to murder them all
and, as usual: big bro Kirishima gives the best hugs, especially for tiny frog siblings
and you can already request your commission with me! Just read the next infos to know what to do. So let’s go!
What to ask for? You’re more than free to commission me an illustration of some character you like. Being a fanart or OCs. I’ll be free to draw whatever you ask for. But take note, the only things I WILL NOTDRAW: Comics, Furries, characters dressed in armor, NSFW or any image that has immorality.
How to make an order? You will make your request through my e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org In this you will tell me in a brief summary (please be as brief as possible) of your commission, informing the character, details, pose, some accessory (animals are seen as separate character) or something extra chosen. All this within a form
Remember to check the price table if you want another character or background. These are priced separately. Animals are also classified as a character. At first, I will only do one character and no background, if I don’t inform any extra addition to your commission. Upon your request, I’ll be giving you the feedback with my evaluation, the deadline and the commission price established. Please, if I don’t respond immediately, be patient, my dear Padawan!
If you have any questions, my ask box will be free, or you can send me a question via email, or where you feel better :D
Payments! Paypal or Ko-fi only. The commission process will be done after payment of the same. You have two options: you can either pay me the full amount first or pay half the amount, and then pay for what is missing. So we can guarantee the service’s fidelity to both sides. I do not accept payment afterwards.
All Commission must be filled in according to the format below: Copy and paste the form in your email:
- Please include in the subject: “Commission” your URL or user from where you came from (Tumblr, Instagram, Facebook, Deviantart, etc.)
-Your name: (Url or user - Tumblr, Instagram, Facebook, Deviantart, etc.)
- OCs must submit description and references so that I can make work as true to their request.
-Type of commission: (Sketch: 1 character (fanart or OC), half body + extra background + extra 2 characters, etc.) This is an example.
What you want in the Commission: (type of facial expression, clothes, colors - if you want you can inform me a color palette -, background or etc.) You are free to send reference pictures attached to your email.
Illustration format: (portrait or landscape)
Notes: Any other extra that is not included in the price table, will have an addition of $12 + each.
You will send me your request to email@example.com, with the form filled in according to the model above. The forecast for feedback is between 24H, but I can take a little longer to respond you as there are other work in progress for me;
After evaluation and acceptance of your commission, I’ll tell you the total price along with the payment options. Remembering Paypal or Ko-fi only;
During the period, you are free to request the cancellation of your Commission. Just send an email with the subject “Cancel my Commission”;
After payment, I will be notifying you of the receipt;
Having done all the above process, you have the freedom to tell me how you would like to receive your commission, be it the file format, the size of the image, etc;
I’ll then send you some previews of your Commission process wherever you wish, so you can evaluate and approve, or request some changes before I start coloring. Make sure it is according to your desire;
Once approved, I will begin coloring and show some WIP of the process;
Upon completion, I will notify you and send you the full image in your attached email, along with a copy of the PS file (if you wish). Also I ask if you will give me permission to post on my blog, otherwise you that will make the disclosure on your blog;
You know, one of the worst parts about being an incredibly easily-inspired person is that you start to lose yourself in what you see. One second, you want to sit down and draw to your heart’s content, the next, you want to write a series of novels, and the next, you want to make discoveries that expand humankind’s knowledge of the universe and beyond. All because you see a post, a drawing, a slip of writing discussing any of these things. And you lose yourself within that. You lose your identity. You feel like you don’t even have one to begin with, like you’re a jumbled mess of things and not something of your own.
And then the cycle repeats, over and over and over. One minute you’re inspired, and the next, you’re wondering what you’re even here for. You’re terrified of making concrete decisions for your future because what if it isn’t you?
Cheerful Project is a little project of mine, the purpose is simple. I will create a drawing each day until next week to make you smile even just a little.
I know we’ve been dealing so much with sadness regarding some bad events, myself, also dealing with some issues with myself and Im trying not to dwelling too much with the sadness and depression so I want to fight back.
I know it’s okay to be not okay, it’s okay to cry. But remember there are things in this world that could help us to find our happiness and forgiveness for ourselves.
I want to help you too. I want to make you smile with my drawings eventhough its not that great.
Hopefully my drawings could put a little smile on your beautiful face everyday!
Always remember that you are loved. You are important and you mean a lot in this world.
Stay strong, we can get through this together!
aaaaa yes (i’m aussie so i don’t know much about thanksgiving but i’ll try!!) ((christmas hcs here!))
- so basically i’m a firm believer that richie, eddie, stan, and bill all live together in a big apartment, with bev, ben, and mike living across the hall
- they have it at bev/ben/mike’s apartment because their dining room table isn’t ‘covered in your random crap, richard’
- mike and ben scour through magazines for recipes and watch the food network religiously for a month beforehand, writing down ideas that they like
- mike goes full out and kicks bev and ben out of the apartment while he cooks because he needs to concentrate and everything needs to be perfect
- he’s got his own apron and everything (it was a gift from richie when they did secret santa last year, it says “mr good lookin’ is cookin’” and he wears it whenever he’s cooks)
- the others all hang out in the other apartment and have a few drinks and eddie ropes them into doing arts and crafts
- they have construction paper and glitter and markers just thrown all over the coffee table and stan is lowkey (highkey) stressed out because there’s going to be glitter all through the fucking carpet for the next fourteen years who fucking thought this would be a good idea so he just downs two glasses of wine and sits next to bill on the floor
- eddie’s making those handprint turkey things and richie is drawing on them so they’re all based off one of their friends (like he draws glasses on one and a fanny pack on another and gives one curly hair etc)
- “i haven’t worn a fanny pack since middle school wtf richie” “how do you know this one is you? what if i just wanted this turkey to have a fanny pack, not everything’s about you eds, geez”
- bill just kind of doodles on a scrap bit of paper and stan is getting steadily more frustrated because he can’t get figure out this goddamn origami swan and these instructions are fucking confusing
- bev takes over and finishes it for him in like ten seconds and he just gets up to get another drink
- ben keeps sprinkling glitter in beverly’s hair when she’s not looking and it falls on her face and shoulders and he keeps laughing when she doesn’t notice him doing it
- stan gets mad at ben for getting glitter on the couch
- stan gets another glass of wine
- bill takes the wine away from stan
- mike comes in to tell them that the food’s ready in ten minutes and he’s covered in flour and stains and he looks almost manic
- they all get changed into nice clothes (except for richie, who’s wearing a hawaiian shirt with cartoon turkeys in pilgrim hats on it and everyone groans when they see it)
- “can’t you just try and look nice for once” “what? it’s festive!”
- mike has set up the dining area with all the food laid out on the table and it honestly looks like it does in the magazines and there are little candles in mason jars and everything
- he walks calmly out of the bedroom wearing clean clothes and they all sit down around the table and they’re all expressing their amazement and oggling over the food and mike’s just waving it off like “eh, it’s nothing special” (but really he is so proud of it and of himself and rightfully so)
- they go around and say what they’re thankful for
- it’s all very sappy and stan starts to tear up when bill gives his toast (though that’s partly due to all the wine)
- bev says she’s thankful to have found a family in the people around her and they all just kinda melt into a puddle of Emotion
- “i’m thankful for this hot piece of ass sitting next to me” *collective beep beep richie*
- they start plating up and the food is So Good oh my god and they eat until they physically can not anymore and they feel like they might explode
- later that evening they put on warm clothes and all go for a walk together and bill ends up giving stan a piggyback ride and richie keeps picking up handfuls of leaves and throwing them at everyone
- eddie full on tackles him on the sidewalk because he shoved fucking soggy leaves down the back of his shirt
- mike walks with ben and bev and just feels so happy because he’s with the people he loves the most in the world and life is really amazing right now
- they’re all just happy and in love and life is great!! friendship!!
I drew these old men first touching foreheads, so now, almost a year later, it feels appropriate to thank you all with this sketch for supporting me, for liking and reblogging my art, to thank you so much for your tags - they so often make my day - and also thank you for motivating me to draw more!
P.S. I know that I made poppies to be Gabe’s flowers, but now he also kind of proudly wears those sunflowers since my sister gave her blessing for him to “rock her tats”. So this is s thing I draw now.
You and Yoonoh were supposed to be meant for each other, but things aren’t always happily ever after.
This was supposed to turn out a little differently, but, even so, i like it. ;))) this uses the soulmate au of like. when you write on your skin or whatever your soulmate can see it and vice versa. Enjoy ;).