Hello, i am a little new to tumblr and i was just wondering, why don't people want others to repost their art/posts? is it like, stealing their post or something? ok, bye :)
Hi! Hello and welcome to tumblr!
This might get long and relatively angry-sounding but by all means this isn’t towards you at all anon, its just that this have been building up in me for a long time. But just know that yes! reposting other artists’ works is offensive and even damaging to them for multiple reasons!
For me, my posts/art are things I created. Things I worked hard for, and spent time on. Some of them are personal to me. To repost that art/post is just like STEALING that work right from me.
We get that stealing is bad, right?
Because that’s what it is. No sugarcoating, no “reposting”, no “sharing”. It. Is. STEALING.
But still, people do it. Sure some might leave credits to the original artist, some might even link back to the original source. But when you’re dealing with the internet, things get muddied real fast. Sources get linked back to other websites, to other blogs that reposted it and some people will flat out claim that work (That YOU created) as theirs. People will trace over them, remove watermarks, add their own stuff to it, etc etc.
And what that does to the original artist, is leave them creditless for the most part and taking the control over their own stuff from them.
To make matters worst, we depend on our content. To some artists, this is literally the only way they make a living. I know you see posts about it like its a joke but it’s not?? Whether its for the next meal, to pay off debt or hospital bills, to leave an abusive place, etc, we really do depend on these art works. It’s not us being whiny or being butthurt on the internet. It is quite literally a matter of Life and Death to some of us.
It doesn’t matter that you say that “love the artist!” or “credit to the artist!” It affects ALL artists NEGATIVELY. It is always a stab to the heart knowing another one of our pieces got taken and reposted again. Heck, not a day goes by when I don’t find reposted pieces of mine on instagram/twitter/tumblr and so on. (Some just leave no descriptions/credit at all, some are a simple “Found it on tumblr. Forgot from who lol”.
Fuck you, specifically, btw.)
So let me ask this: why do you guys need to repost them so badly?
- “I just want to share them with others!” Then by GODS why can’t you just reblog the original post? Will that physically kill you to do so? Can you not have anything on your blog that’s not uploaded by you personally?
- “I just love the art so much!” WELL HELL!! I do too, buddy!! I love it. Because it’s mine. It’s what I created. Rebloging the original post will show how much you love it just as fine! It won’t hurt at all, I promise!
- “But I want to share it on other social media besides tumblr??” Listen. Buddy. Pal. Friendo. 8 of 10 times, that artist your talking about is on different social media platforms too. We tend to spread out and do that. Please take time to look through our FAQ/Blogs to make sure? ALSO when it comes to places like Facebook or Twitter, copying and pasting the link of the original post will do just as fine! I repeat: You do not need to repost the artwork at all. Just link them back to the post.
- “But I want to add a comment” Then reblog and comment. But don’t you dare delete the original caption because I swear to god that is an entirely different plate of garbage to deal with.
- “…I want to get the notes/likes for it” B*TCH ME TOO!! Why do you think I made it??? If you want to get notes or likes then by all means create something yourself but don’t take credit for someone else’s work?? Do I have to spell out that notes/likes are important to the artists that made that artwork, and to have all of that given to someone else because they reposted it is like a slap to the face?? Some of us face that DAILY. We’re ready to kill a man.
On that note, some artists have different ways of dealing with these circumstances, so if you ever have an inkling that it might be ok, GO ASK THE ARTIST FIRST!!!!!!
tl;dr : Reposting is bad bc it’s stealing from artists not only their hard work and credibility, but even their income. Please, I’m literally begging all of you to stop it and to not ever do it.
thanks for asking anon.