How to deal with Little Meltdowns
This is how my daddy calms me down after I have a meltdown (I’m not ALWAYS perfect…)
- If your little is not already laying on a comfy surface try to get them that way.
- Your little will most likely face away from you. Big spoon them and drape an arm around
- If your little tries to tell you to go away, don’t unless they insist. then move your arm but don’t roll away.
- At this point, once daddies arm is moved, I usually freak out that he moved.
- This, is how he gets me to turn over.
- Cuddle your little into your arms and talk to them calmly.Tell them you love them. That it’s okay. Comfort them. Kiss their head. Brush their hair with your hands.
- Once your little has calmed a bit, reach for the nearest stuffie
- Say “OH LOOK! (stuffie name) IS HUGGING YOU
- If the little laughs, smother them with kisses, yours and the stuffies
- if they keep crying repeat step 6 until you get to 9
- Once your little is stable enough to talk, make sure whatever issue there was is resolved.
- Make sure to cuddle, give juice, paci, blankets. Make them feel safe again
Alright guys! This might not work for every Caregiver and Little but here is a general outline of one of daddies favorite ways to calm me down. Of course, it’s different depending on the situation and this is a very general version but I thought I would share this with you guys!!!!