i havent seen a lot of appreciation for king of my heart
i love all of these song appreciation posts but i feel like my child might be a lil underrated already & pls dont neglect it!!
the song is so soft and so energetic at the same time have you ever witnessed sth like that!!
- it starts off so content and tranquil as she sings ‘i’m perfectly fine, i live on my own’, its all very harmonious and calm perfectly reflecting her state of mind before she met joe. yet theres a lil hint of sadness in ‘im better off being alone’ as the melody goes down
- ‘now you try on calling me baby like tryin on clothes’ is such a good way to describe the tentative beginning of a relationship, when nothing is sure and you try
- then suddenly theres all the beat and energy and SALUTETOMEIMYOURAMERICANQUEENANDYOUMOVETOMELIKEIMOTOWNBEAT being so fast and full of force reflecting all the excitement and passion of this new bond starting off for real!
- ‘we rule the kingdom inside my room’ i love this so much bc within all the references to kings & kingdoms on reputation most of them have to do with her public image (’they took the crown’, ‘your kingdom keys once belonged to me’) yet even when all of that crumbles it doesnt matter because her private kingdom in this relationship, in this small private space is so much more important and real!
- cause all the BOYS and their expensive CARS their range ROvers and their jaguARS just the groove of the entire prechorus like damn
- and then the chorus starts and its filled with just as much energy but slower because its arrived at the stage where shes sure about the relationship! there is no angst anymore, it sounds epic and resolved at the same time bc she is sure about him: ‘you are the one i have been waiting for’
- the beautiful melody of ‘king of my heart, body and soul’ like you can feel the happiness and contentment and even a little bit of… wistfulness bc after all these years shes finally found the right one?
- the way she sings AND ALL AT ONCE reflecting how fast and unexpected and perfect this love came into her life
- the…post chorus thing is just such a bop? its like a remix within the actual song?!!
- in the second verse we’re back in the more calm mood but this time it’s about how she had to keep the relationship secret: ‘late in the night, the city’s asleep’ you can picture it, the two of them surrounded by the silence of the night, holding onto each other
- ‘hoping, dreaming, dying to keep’ exCUSE me this fits so well into the melody and its so beautiful
- the way she makes the melody higher for chaange my priorities
- the playful way she says ‘luxury’
- (inside my room, oh!)
- the backup vocals just slaying it all the way through, ‘waaitiing’, ‘and all at once HEY’
- AND THEN THE ENTIRE BRIDGE
- ‘is this the end of all the endings’ is so beautiful and heartbreaking in itself, but the way she sings it, again with so much stress and force, like this is so important to her
- again we can see hints of the scars her past heartbreaks have left on her, theyre all over the song but so muted and resolved in the strength and happiness and security of this new relationship. ‘my broken bones are mending’
- schoolgirl CRUSHHH
- ‘drinking beer out of plastic cups’ so iconic
- the fact that she uses british slang
- ‘baby all at once this is enough’ !!! at once she realizes she doesnt need anything else, that all of this simplicity is perfect because there is a value in this relationship above all these other superficial things people think she is chasing after like money, and even her reputation
- the fact that the song finishes on this epic ‘AND ALL AT ONCE’