If I had to choose my absolute favourite cover Sara has ever done, I would say it’s probably Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. The original song was initially released in the 70s and it’s one of Elton’s most popular. Some consider it to be a classic of his. It is.
Elton John considers this to be the best cover he’s heard, and I agree. I absolutely do.
So what makes this cover particularly special? Why should you care to listen to it?
1. She performs with a huge string orchestra. And it’s a gorgeous arrangement.
2. It showcases her singing/superwoman abilities
3. I have to gasp for breath EVERY TIME at the ~3:08 mark. How someone can sing such a high note and remain on key is unbeknown to me.
4. There’s a sweet old man sitting behind her, smiling throughout the entire thing. Literally. Smiling. The. Whole. Time.
5. She plays her piano WITH the orchestra and it’s flawless.
6. She’s wearing polka-dots. I love polka dots. How can you not love polka dots?
7. When the strings play in unison with those beautiful high notes, hellooooooooo, shivers!!! It’s a breathtaking performance. I could listen to ~3:08 + forever.
Sara has performed this many times in concert and considers Elton to be a major influence and inspiration to her.