Himanshu Suri was interviewed by the infamous hip hop media reporter Peter Rosenberg for what turns out to be a really fantastic interview. He’s making the rounds for his album Eat Pray Thug which was just released last month.The highlights of the interview include:
- Heems schooling Rosenberg on how the origins of “thug” are really rooted in the Thuggees of India and reclaiming of the works.
- Rosenberg bringing up Heems being a sloppy drunk, and how Heems handles those questions with tact.
- Heems challenges the post-9/11 narrative by talking about contemporary hate-crimes.
- Rosenberg clowning on Heems’ “Taliban Chic” fashion style.
- Heems talking about how his album title is slight nod to the self-exotification experienced in being a Desi-American. (Deep)
It really is one of the better interviews I’ve heard by Himanshu - he’s growing up with this album while still struggling and stumbling on his life journey. It’s honest and smart and sober. I would have totally folded under Rosenberg’s questioning - so good on Heems for being able to bounce back.
If you haven’t downloaded the album yet, do it today! It’s on iTunes. Or do what I’m doing and cop a CD from your local record store.