Aeon energy is an absolutely fundamental component of how life works on SR388. It’s just a part of how biology evolved on the planet, similar in importance to DNA on many other planets. Nobody, from the Chozo to the GF, has yet figured out exactly what it is, but that’s not because its some mysterious supernatural thing that can’t be explained. It’s just incredibly unique. No other known planet in the galaxy has developed a biological system that is anything like SR388’s, which has made figuring out the chemistry of the system difficult for scientists. In any case, every lifeform native to SR388 (including the metroids, as the chozo reverse-engineered them from SR388 organisms) produces and contains aeon energy. It’s what makes them tick. This is why Samus gains aeon energy after every kill in Samus Returns; when she gets the aeon scan pulse, her suit is also upgraded with a device to auto-harvest aeon energy from dead or wounded organisms that release it into the atmosphere.
Though severely wounded organisms will leak aeon into the air, a lot of the stuff remains permanently locked into the tissue of the life-form even after death. Sometimes these bodies will pile up without being eaten or completely decomposed and will eventually be buried and carried deep down into the planet’s crust by geological processes. Over millions of years, these undedground deposits of dead biomatter will be compressed and warmed to ridiculous amounts and pressure and heat, in the exact same kind of process that creates coal or oil on earth. For aeon-based biomatter, this process breaks down the extraneous materials and chemically transforms the aeon energy itself into a slightly different form, which forms solid chrystaline structures. Hundreds of massive aeon crystal deposits exist under the surface of SR388, still buried in the rock. Now if that crystal should be released from the pressure of the rock around it and allowed to react with the atmosphere of SR3-88… well, that’s how you get an X parasite. The solid yellow glow you can see coming from the cavern ceiling in chozo memory 04 is actually coming from the giant crystal deposit unearthed by the chozo’s diggerbots and diggernaut, the crystal that birthed the ancestors of all of the X parasites alive in the universe at the time of Fusion. This is why the most basic X parasites share the same distinctive yellow glow as pure aeon. They practically ARE pure aeon (90% fossilized aeon, 10% other partially fossilized biochemicals. They are highly concentrated with aeon).
Merroids are designed to kill X parasites by reversing the chemical process that turned them into X parasites in the first place. When an X parasite attempts to posess a metroid (or when a metroid forcibly absorbs an X parasite) the metroid will first separate the aeon, and then perform a chemical reaction that reverts the fossil aeon to “fresh” aeon, the same form it takes in normal SR388 lifeforms, making it unusable to the X. The metroid uses some of the aeon energy to keep itself ticking, but most is stored internally, theoretically for the chozo to harvest later. Finally, the metroid metabolizes the little bit of leftover goop from that 10% other stuff, which provides most of the metroid’s nutrition. The ability of metroids to sap body fluids and aeon from non-X organisms was a survival tool implemented to help them through long periods of hunting without finding any X.
TLDR: X parasites are basically sentient, evil fossil fuels. And metroids are designed to kill them by de-fossilifying them.
I’m a relatively new fan of Metroid but I made a realization and I wanted to share it, so I hope this isn’t too long!
So, recently, I watched a video discussing how the Chozo destroyed the ecosystem of SR-388 when they created the Metroids. It wasn’t much theorycrafting, and more just recounting of canon, but it got the wheels in my brain turning. For a basic recap:
The Chozo, after or during the colonization of SR-388 witnessed and came to fear the power of the X parasite. In order to fight off this abomination, they created the Metroids to act as a predator. That’s odd however, when you consider that the Chozo have never made life from scratch, despite their seeming expertise in the field of genetics. Even Mother Brain, who is a synthetic lifeform, is exactly that. Synthetic. She NEEDS the technology around her otherwise she’s just a big squishy pile of bio-goop.
What the video proposed is that SR-388 already had a functioning ecosystem in spite of the X parasite, as the planet wasn’t just a dead husk when the Chozo got there. This means that the X parasite had a natural predator, that the Chozo then genetically enhanced to become more efficient. The video gives this unknown creature the apt title of “Proto-Metroids,” but never go into detail about what these “Proto-Metroids” really were– mainly because that wasn’t its focus but I digress.
Where my own theorization comes in is here. I think that I’ve figured out what the Proto-Metroids were, and it’s actually a creature thats fairly overlooked and obscure as far as Metroid enemies go.
First off, those who’ve played Metroid II, or some remake, will know that the iconic, jellyfish-like form of Metroid is only the larval form. In a Metroids Omega form (the most mature stage other than Queen), it takes on a much different look. It has large, monochromatic eyes; its body is like that of a dinosaur’s; its mouth is oddly conical with claws at the end; and it has a near-impenitrable carapace surrounding almost its entire body.
Arachnus can be described very similarly. In fact, all of its design features seem to be like an Omega Metroid, but weaker. It’s smaller, it’s stouter, and its carapace doesn’t cover as much of its body. It has smaller claws, and only has three claw-like teeth at the end of its funnel-mouth.
Keeping the visual similarities in mind, also realize that Arachnus only appears in Metroid II, Samus Returns, and Metroid Fusion. Samus Returns is a remake of Metroid II, and Fusion takes place on the BSL station, where every enemy is an X-replication of something from SR-388, meaning that Arachnus is not only native to SR-388, but its species can be found nowhere else.
And if you think that the X parasites could never replicate an Arachnus if it really was their natural predator, then look no further than the final boss of Metroid Fusion. An X-replication of none other than an Omega Metroid.
With all that in mind, I personally believe that the Arachnus was the “Proto-Metroid,” brought to near-extinction after the Metroids were introduced to the wilds of SR-388, both from lack of food, and from being hunted and eaten by the Metroids themselves.
(Sorry if this was too long, I’m just super excited to share this theory that I had!)
“To be fair, I never said that all [gender or sexual minority group X] are vile parasites upon the LGBT community - just [narrowly defined subset Y]. Of course, I automatically assume that all [group X] are [subset Y] unless they can prove to my satisfaction that they’re not - and good fucking luck proving a negative! - but that doesn’t make me a bigot. Heaven forfend.”
I’m considering making a sideblog where I go through all the Game Theory videos and timestamp each innacuracy / inconsistancy / failure of research.
The Metroid episode got me legitimately angry. Here’s a list of everything wrong with the video.
1. Nitpick, but Matpat accompanies his explanation of X parasites with a photo of an Omega Metroid. This photo has no X in it. That’s a real Omega.
2. Metroids never “rolled around” attacking people of their own volition. The Space Pirates stole and weaponized Metroids against the Galactic Federation and its citizens. Had the Metroids remained undisturbed on SR388 there wouldn’t be any problem.
3. The animals weren’t “randomly passed over” by the X, as MatPat claims. They were locked in one of the few areas on BSL that wasn’t compromised by the security bypasses, and bolted straight for Samus’ ship once they were free. Remember that one of them knows how to SHINESPARK. It’s more than possible to make the trip unscathed.
4. Adam ran a full diagnostic and found no X on the animals.
5. HOW THE FUCK WOULD ANYTHING ON ZEBES BE INFECTED WITH X? THE X IS ONLY ON SR388. The animals would have had to be infected during Super Metroid for the theory to work, and that’s impossible.
6. How did the Dachora perform a Shinespark, Matpat? WITH A SPEED BOOSTER, DUH. THE DACHORA LIVES IN A PLANET FULL OF CHOZO RUINS. THERE’S MORE THAN 1 SPEED BOOSTER ON ZEBES. (Or the SpeedBooster is based on Dachora abatomy. The Chozo were very close to nature.)
7. The animals get along because they’re the only Zebesians left, Patrick. Their planet exploded. They need eachother.
8. The animals knowing how to pilot a ship is proof that they AREN’T X infected. The X need to copy an able pilot to leave BSL, and they never figured out how to do that during Fusion.
9. The Wrecked Ship didn’t belong to the Animals. It was a Chozo ship. It crashlanding on Zebes is the reason they colonized that planet in the first place.
10. The animals aren’t flying planet to planet spreading X after leaving Zebes. They are TRYING NOT TO DIE. After they left, they launched a distress signal and got moved to BSL.
11. THE INFESTATION CAUSE IS EXPLAINED. THE POWER SUIT IN THE QUARANTINE ROOM FORMED INTO SA-X, USED A POWER BOMB AND RELEASED X INTO BSL. THE ANIMALS WERE IN A SECURE AREA WHEN IT HAPPENED AND ARE IN NO WAY REAPONSIBLE. WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK MAT HOW DID YOU MISS THAT??? IT’S LITERALLY HOW THE FUCKING GAME STARTS!
12. THE ANIMALS DON’T ATTACK SAMUS BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT X. HOW WOULD THE X KNOW SHE EVEN KILLS METROIDS IN THE FIRST PLACE. THE ONLY ONE SHE KILLS IN FUSION IS THE OMEGA AND THERE ARE NO X PRESENT WHEN THAT HAPPENS. THE METROIDS ARE EXTINCT SAMUS IS LITERALLY THE ONLY THREAT TO THEIR SPECIE. THE X WILL DESTROY HER AT ALL COSTS.
13. THE X ARE A HIVE MIND. THERE IS NO SMARTER STRAIN. IF EVEN 3 X CARRIERS GOT A SHIP THEY’D LET BSL SINK AND GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.
14. Undeniably, Samus is reaponsible for the X outbreak. BUT SHES ALSO A FUCKING METROID AND DIRECT THREAT TO THEIR SPECIE. THE X HAVE BEEN TRYING TO KILL ANYTHING WITH METROID DNA THE WHOLE GODDAMN GAME.
Please research your goddamn topics, Mathew. Please stop throwing your half-baked brain trash onto Youtube. Your audience and the fans of the games you talk about both deserve better. Also, next time how about you DON’T spend half your video gushing about GDQ and actually talk about your theory? Goddamnit, MatPat.
As she’s been altered by Metroid DNA, the genetic code of their natural predator, Samus feels a brief sensation of satiation when absorbing X parasites. The energy in the absorption is quickly converted to power for her suit’s systems, though, so it never lasted more than a few seconds.
Hello! So! Basically, ive been feeling a bit down about art recently. And whilst working on commissions, an idea for these babies came to me. So I too ka bit of time for myself and just went for it. They aren’t all complete, but im away this weekend and just really wanted to post them. I will probably finish them all and neaten them up for DA and repost onto here. I’m happy with the concept, because I really loved thinking about how these things would work.
Now, this is a VERY rough idea of what I imagine the Honedge life cycle to be like. A proper pokedex entry will be included with the update. But it gives you jist of my thoughts J Hope you enjoy! (oh and sorry for the wall of text to follow!)
Not sure if someone has already submitted something like this, but I’ll go ahead any way. It bothers me that Samus has endured years of hazardous environments, and been subject to several mutations, and yet, looks unchanged, so this is what I think she should look like.
-The Chozo DNA did more than make Samus more powerful, it also caused her body to become more “bird like”, such as the growth of small feathers in some spots on her body. The back of her arms, her shoulders, the back of her neck, her legs, and chest all grow feathers.
-Halfway through the Phazon crisis, Samus was exposed to the harsh environment of Dark Aether. Even though her suit protected her from most of the negative effects of Dark Aether, she still developed small, black, splotches on a few spots of her body.
-Near the end of the Phazon crisis, Samus was corrupted, and her body began to produce phazon. This resulted in glowing blue marks up her face, her skin darkening, her feathers becoming black,and her pupils becoming bright blue with jet black sclera. After having the phazon purged from her body, the worst of the effects disappeared, however, the blue marks on her face was replaced with scars, her skin very faintly blue, and her black sclera became a bright grey. For unknown reasons, her pupils remain bright blue.
-After being infected by the X, Samus suffered very little physical damage. Sense her suit is far more powerful than she is, the X primarily focused on it, ignoring Samus. Once it had fully infected the suit, the X tried to remove Samus from it, causing her to slip into unconsciousness. With her suits shields down, she suffered heavy injuries from the crash, and further injury from the suit removal surgery. Both of her legs and left arm had to be replaced with prosthetics. Her heart had to be removed after being attached by the X, along with her lungs and stomach after having shrapnel lodged into them from the crash. All three organs where successfully replaced with synthetic versions.
-After gaining the Metroid DNA, a soft (but strong) green tinted, transparent membrane developed over her body, covering her like a new layer of skin. Her feathers developed a dark red color. Strangest of all though, 4 small horns, somewhat resembling metroid teeth, grew out of the sides of her chin.
-She barely considers herself human.
I realize that I tend to turn to my asks, specifically my Kii ask blog, when I get super stressed with uni. I randomly decided to answer a few and just the amount of messages Kii has received in such a short amount of time LMAOO smh— he gets more messages than me, I see how it is guys. I see all ya’ll—