Ten dimensions of Cloud x Tifa that makes it amazing
What I love about Cloti is that’s nuanced, complex and multi-dimensional. There is a lot to tell about the relationship and there have been dozens of essays dedicated for them. Here are the common themes:
- Innocence - We see Cloud and Tifa as children and teens. They held some wide-eyed aspirations that makes them endearing. Cloud wanted to be a hero to be noticed by Tifa, and Tifa wanted to be rescued by a strong hero. Tragically, they lost their innocence in a much harsher way than they deserved.
- Growth - Cloud and Tifa are always a work in process. From the innocent children we see them, in FFVII we have the older Cloud coming in terms with his identity and Tifa channeling her desire for vengeance into saving the world. Even in AC, Both Cloud and Tifa are overcoming a lot of inner demons.
- Compassion - Tifa stayed with Cloud in Mideel when he was physically and mentally incapacitated. Even at his weakest she has been there to offer her support. Even after Meteor, Cloud and Tifa decided to take care of children as a way to help the world heal.
- Heroism - Cloud wanted to be strong for Tifa and aspired to protect her. His desire to protect Tifa allowed him to defeat Sephiroth even when he was a teen. For Tifa, despite guilt and despair she was able to fight with Cloud for the future of the planet.
- Companionship - They saw Nibelheim burn, lost Aerith, fought Sephiroth and live with sins to bear. These memories left them scars yet they share the burden of their pasts together.
- Humanity - Both Cloud and Tifa are imperfect people. They had moments where they lost hope and seemingly have given up, they also made mistakes that hurt one another even if they have good intentions. They can also be selfish. There were times where Tifa needed Cloud to keep her strong, while Cloud ran away from Tifa because he was afraid to appear weak.
- Healing - Both Tifa and Cloud needed to forgive themselves for their perceived failures . Despite losing a their loved ones, time had allowed the two of them to come in terms with the tragedies. There is no grand gesture or magic that enabled them to heal in an instant. They took little steps by communicating and being honest about their personal struggles.
- Intimacy - The two had bared their souls together in the Lifestream: sharing memories, feelings and their innermost secrets. The two shared the both physical and emotional intimacy under the Highwind and continued to work their relationship after Meteor. Their close relationship allowed them to speak out their insecurities and fears but at the same time, offer each other support.
- Family - It wasn’t by blood or by marriage, but Cloud and Tifa are able to form a family with their friends and take care of children. While Tifa expressed her insecurities on her role as a mother, living together and overcoming Geostigma and Sephiroth allowed the family to be more united and closer than ever.
- Moving forward - Putting everything together - healing, forgiveness, family and companionship - Cloud and Tifa moves on from their past and share a future together. While they would never forget the people they have lost, there are new possibilities, responsibilities as guardians, and many things to live for. “Everything is alright.”
I love that Cloti has a lot of positive themes that tell us about life. There are times that we sink to our lowest, but we can find strength and hope from the people we love. There is no shame admitting weakness and making mistakes, as they people can move forward by forgiving themselves. There is a long, happy life they deserve and I think that after AC, they are heading there.
Other related essays:
- Cloud and Tifa’s Intimate Relationship
- Cloud and Tifa’s love for each other - Infatuation, Devotion, Passion and Commitment
Gif posted with @enigmaphenomenon‘s permission