Hey! Hi there. My name’s rjo, and I’m currently studying my MA in Publishing. I’m writing a dissertation on the subject of Publisher-Fandom interaction. In other words, I want to be able to advise publishers on how to better work with fans. This is especially relevant to fan fiction authors – you may have noticed that there has been an increase in publisher interest in fan fiction since, you know, the whole Fifty Shades of Grey thing.
So here’s where you come in: are you an fan fiction author? Do you aspire to be published offline? Or maybe you just want to share your opinion on what professional publishers have been doing right or wrong so far? Please answer the short survey below – you can just reblog it and replace the answers with your own. It would really help my research if I am able to quote directly from the community, so I promise I’ll be reading all of these.
If you have any questions, feel free to message me. I’m not anonymous either, if you would like to contact my personal blog you can message me for that as well. Thanks so much for your time!
Fan Fiction Questionnaire
- What fandom/series/media do you write about?
- Where do you publish the majority of your fanfiction? Why that site?
- What is your impression of the following fan fiction websites: Fanfiction.net, AO3, Wattpad? (You can tell me what kind of stories you associate with each, or just rank them in terms of how much you like them, whatever you want!)
- Would you pay money to read fan fiction, or would you want people to pay money for yours?
- If you could tell a publisher or editor one thing about the fan fiction community, what would it be?