Okay I know we all love this scene already, but aaah. I just have to pin point the moments I love.
- How plainly obvious it is that Tina is so taken with him! Like when Newt starts saying “Well it’s been…” and he doesn’t even finish before she eagerly adds “Hasn’t it?” and she’s all big smiles and 100% different from when Newt first met her!
- Newt’s reaction to her quick response! He just looks at her kinda surprised? And he doesn’t even say anything more to it. As if he’s not quite sure how he had such an effect on her?
- The way Tina’s voice breaks. She is SO full blown emotional She just really don’t want him to go and it breaks my heart.
- Newt is still not quite keeping eye contact for long.
- “I can’t think of anybody I’d rather have investigating me” *grimace* Instant classic, awkwardly hitting on Tina without intenting to.
- “Quiet life for me now” okay so this just reminds me of Bilbo Baggins at the end of the first Hobbit movie saying he believes the worst is over now. Because HA HA there’s four more f*cking movies coming Newt and you live and breathe trouble whether you intend to or not!
- “And I’ll look out for it! Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” and Newt looks her dead in the eye!! She just hit the jackpot right there!
- “Does Leta Lestrange like to read?” and he bloody hell says who! Who? The very woman they talked about days earlier. The same woman that has him hurting. That’s a huge thing for him to have a memory slip there. He’s found his giver! Not to mention Tina’s voice breaks when she brings her up.
- “People change” and Tina’s breathless “Yes.”
- Newt being distracted by the ship soon to be leaving and Tina just struggling to keep her tears back. It just… ugh my heart.
- And don’t tell me Newt brushing a strand of her hair back isn’t better than a kiss in this moment? YES I ship them and YES I can’t wait for their relationship to start, but I HATE movies that forces love. This is so much more effective and fitting for these two. A slow start, but no less romantic and absolutely sweet. If there’s one thing this movie is it’s sweet and I think everyone needed a movie like this right now. Which included a slow burn relationship..
- Newt is not good at goodbyes. He leaves quite abruptly twice and you know it’s because it’s difficult for him to let her go. He just have to do it quick. It’s why he stops a last time before entering the ship, but can’t afford to look back.
- He struggles to look at her when he’s in doubt of whether she wants him to come back. If she truly wants him. Only when she does show interest does he meet her eyes again. Like when she says the title of his future book because she gets him and now when she very much wants him back in her life.
- HER SMILE. It’s so beaming and sunshiny and nothing hurts while everything hurts at the same time
- He’s still not quite able to understand how he earned her affections. Like when he first looks at her he really looks at her as if he’s trying to figure it out.
- And he’s off and it’s all bittersweet because it hurts seeing him go, but she’ll see him again and she makes that little happy hop because she’s in love.
Okay that got a lot longer than intended, but you should really study this scene because Eddie and Katherine are just amazing with their acting. Their expressions and small details. Wow. Just focus on Tina in one go, then Newt the next. They are just brilliant. For someone who’s not much of a shipper in general it’s a big effing deal for him how deep I am in this Newtina ship <3