Hi! I'm writing a novel with Latinx characters and I was wondering if you had any offensive things that you've seen in media about Latinx characters? I'd really like to avoid that stuff, and I know exactly how it feels to have your culture misrepresented, so.
Hey, that sounds amazing!
Just to name a few of the most common things:
- Fetishization of our language. Often times Latinx characters only speak Spanish during sexually charged or angrily charged moments. Our language is not a kink to be used to fuel the idea of the spicy or sassy “Latinx” (This is not to say that there aren’t many Latinx who are very sexual beings as well as very passionate and quick to anger ex. Me)
- There is nothing wrong with being a maid or a work hand on a farm. Plenty of Latinx especially our parents who came here with nothing not even knowing the language have taken on these roles of the “help” but not every Latinx should be.
- We span over 20 countries our cultures are so diverse. I can tell you right now that while we hold strong similarities many things can be different. Just a few examples. Being Cuban I eat tamales just like many mexicans, but I can tell you that what they call tostadas and what I consider a tostada are completely different. In Cuba there’s a popular dicho ‘me tienes la cachimba llena de tiera’ which basically translates to ‘you got me fucked up’ ask a Nica to tell you what cachimba means to them and we got a whole different conversation. Hell even our music doesn’t carry over.
- WE ARE NOT A RACE! There are white Latinx, Asian Latinx, Mestizx Latinx, Afro Latinx et.c Sofia Vergara and JLo while both beautiful women should not be what every Latinx in your story looks like.
- Religion is very important to many latinx. But if you are going into writing about the practice of Santeria or as many of us refer to it Regla de Ocha please please please contact someone and spend a lot of time learning about it, it is complex and it is usually depicted in a negative light with sacrifices and black magic. Also Jewish and Muslim Latinx exist (crazy concept that not every Latinx is Catholic)
I think these are the reoccurring issues I always see but if anyone has more feel free to add. And if you have specific questions I’m happy to answer. Suerte on your novel xx