things i’ve realized in 2016 that i should’ve known earlier
ok this is waaaay later than it should be, it’s already been a month since the new year but january was such a shitty month and there was so much going on that i haven’t found time to really reflect on the past year but here it is :’)
1. there will be people in your life that you can’t just cut out of your life even if they’re super toxic and bad for your mental health but that doesn’t mean you deserve to be treated like shit and your feelings invalidated
2. find yourself some upperclassmen/older friends that you can trust and not only ask for advice, but to confide in. they will save your life and it’s always nice to know that someone older and more experienced than you always has your back.
3. boys/girls can be dumb as fuck and 9/10 times they’re most definitely not worth wasting your time daydreaming/freaking/over-analyzing about. you don’t need a bf/gf, finding a bf/gf/SO is not more important than your goals, you are not an incomplete person without one.
4. not everything is about you–sometimes you just need to get your head out of your ass and recognize that although you are important, you aren’t the world/the center of the universe. ask your friends how they’re doing once in a while instead of just ranting/complaining to them about your problems, get them a thoughtful gift, tell them that you genuinely appreciate them, etc.
5. stop settling. sign up for that survey, register for that seminar, apply for that exclusive internship. you’re the only one who’ll make sure you get shit done, not your parents, your friends, or your teachers.
6. wear whatever the fuck you want. people won’t care tbh, and the people who do don’t matter. clothes/makeup is meant to make YOU feel better, not for anyone else. an outfit is pulled together by your personalty and confidence, not by other’s opinions
7. don’t be afraid to let loose. party hard, but work harder. if you work all day and never have any fun you won’t have balance, and this will make you less productive. go to that party, get drunk with your friends, watch that movie, go to that concert, as long as you’re able to get back on track
8. prioritize your health. running clears the mind, yoga is calming, wash your hands, invest in that hand lotion, drink more water. you won’t be able to get anything done if you’re sick half of the time. you do good work when you feel good.
9. it’s ok to experiment. wear the edgy outfit, make your makeup bolder than usual, switch up your study routine, re arrange your desk layout, buy a different planner, etc. you don’t have to always stick to the stuff you know.