• Durmstrang : Scandinavia - close to a lake. - Northern Europe (Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Iceland, Finland, Estonia) and the East (Bosnia, Bulgaria, Croatia, Macedonia, Serbia, Slovenia, Albania, Hungary, Poland, Slovakia, Romania). - Kalina MASARYK.
• Beauxbâtons : France - in the Pyrenees. - Southern Europe (Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece) and West (Austria, Belgium, France, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Switzerland). - Olympe MAXIME.
• Kings Academy of Sorcery. Ilvermorny. United States - Louisiana. - North America (USA, Canada, Greenland, Mexico, Caribbean). - Zachary LEWIS : youngest director of the Kings Academy, Zachary Lewis encourages freewill and autonomy. Kings students have considerable freedom of action with few restrictions. Lack of headmaster’s severity is sometimes criticized by his peers. But Zachary Lewis puts a point of honor that its students learn for themselves the concept of respect and authority. Trivia : - the emblem of the academy is a “K” crown. - the motto is « Terra non caelum mutant qui trans mare currunt » (“ crossing the sea, you change the earth, not sky”). - the academy is surrounded by a marsh that protects against intrusions. A huge crocodile enchanted lives inside and became the school mascot. - the Academy is based on the university model of “Greek community”. - each community has her own residence. - students choose themselves their community. - each community has her motto, her principles, her codes and her representatives. Representatives manage the functioning (and harmony) within and between communities. - there are three fraternities : > Alpha-Rhô “excel for good” (For :ambition, excellence, merit. Against : fraud, dishonor, failure) > Khi-Thêta “do not waste your time (,use it rightfully)” (For : solidarity, collective, loyalty, selflessness. Against : conflict, betrayal, careerism) > Nu-Kappa-Pi “it is a cloud, that will pass” (For : talent, ease, fun, diversity. Against : killjoy, spoilsport, wet blanket, party pooper…) - three sororities : > Omicron-Epsilon-Delta “which had to be proven“ (For : hard work, learning, rightness, mutual aid. Against : deception, violence) > Lambda- Sigma “speech is the shadow of the act” (For : discovery, franchise, action, the will and courage. Against : cowardice, lying, imposture) > Kappa-Delta “new ideas” (For : justice, duty, equality, determination. Against : inequity, abuse, bias) - and three mixed : >Sigma-Mu “with the mind” (For : knowledge by theory, discernment, raw intelligence, firmness. Against : ignorance, narrow minds) >Iota-Khi “with the hand” (For : knowledge through practice, cooperation, perseverance, creativity. Against : resignation) > Gamma-Lambda “know thyself” (For those who do not want or were not able to choose membership). - each community has a representative and all representatives form the Committee. - all the events are organized by the Committee (apportionment of new students, club management, sports events and festivities). They also deal with the application of sanctions. They are responsible for relationship between students, teachers and the headmaster. - the committee also organizes events to maintain the rivalry between communities. - at the end of each year, teachers vote for the community that has been most effective and the elected community becomes the “primary community” (inter alia, the community has authority over all decisions).
• Enganolho Brazilian School of Magic, Castelobruxo. Brazil - Bahia. - South America (Brazil, Venezuela, Colombia, Guyana, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Paraguay, Chile, Uruguay USA, Argentina). - Hélio FORTES : Man of spirit and Sorcerer recognized for having studied temporal paradoxes.It’s the Minister of the Brazilian magic who asked him in person to take the place of headmaster of Enganolho. The School is in decline since its last director ; everyone think that Helio Fortes is the only one able to restore it to its former glory. Defy that he’s ready to take up. Trivia : - schools promote school exchanges. - School is perched in trees.
• School of Onopwulopwul. Pacific Ocean - somewhere in Micronesia. - Australasia, Melanesia, Micronesia and Polynesia. - Koa
NAOI : descendant of a famous clan of sorcerers and concerned about the magical heritage,Koa Naoi makes every effort to make the magical diversity being well represented in his school. Thus, in addition to Western standards,
Onopwulopwul teaches the magical practices of each of Oceania Culture. Trivia : - motto’s school is :
“Ehu Mohngiong Mehlel, Ehu Poliwar Kala “ (translatable as “an honest heart, a proud body”). - the school is situated on a crescent-shaped island. Extremities are so close to each other they would form almost a circle. - the extremities of the island mark the entry of Onopwulopwul.
They are littered by two statues representing the school’s founder :
twins Olisihpa and Olosohpa. - there is a tiny volcano where lives lavapeople.
there is a large bay named
the Usu Bay (the Star Bay). - the school is mostly under water in the bay. dorms, break room and refectory are overwater bungalows. - Onopwulopwul is the school with the most lessons. - therefore it begins at age 10 and ended at 18. - the schooling is divided into 3 stages : > theoretical classes (Muggles Studies, Herbology, History of Magic, Astronomy Mythology Knowledge of Tribes, Potion) from the 1st to the 5th year (with a similar review to OWL). > practical classes (Potions, Charms, Defense Against the Dark Arts, Elsewhere’s Magic, Care of Magical Creatures, Transfiguration,
Transfiguration) from the 3rd to the 7th year (with a similar review to OWL). > qualifications classes
(Defense Against the Dark Arts, Elsewhere’s Magic, Care of Magical Creatures, Care of Sorcerer,
Knowledge of Tribes, History of Magic, Runes, Arithmancy,
Transfiguration, Potion, Magical Theory) from 6th to 9th grade (with a similar review to NEWT). Qualifications Classes
are a kind of preparatory class for future trades. - the school encourages sport (Muggles and wizards). They can swim in the bay without exceeding the statues of the founders. - there are no clubs. students do what they want with their free time. - sometimes the teachers take students on excursions during weekends and/or holidays. - they visit the island, neighboring islands, sometimes even surrounding countries.
• Uagadou School of Magic. South Africa -
Uganda - Africa (all) and West in the Middle East (Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Yemen, Oman, Jordan, Egypt, Turkey, Armenia, Syria). - the Board : is made up of five individuals whose achievements are recognized internationnalement. Together they govern Uagadou: choose subjects to be taught; the students; extra school activities; and even meals. The board changes only when one dies and the replacement is selected unanimously. Trivia : - school is hidden underground. - This is the oldest school of magic and the largest school in the world. - the Board accepts that the students of their choice. - they select students via dream messenger which left a token in children’s hands while they slept. - the token is a Portkey that allows them to enter in the school. - it’s possible to study ancient magic (the “forgotten magics”). - the guardians / protectors of school are zombies.
• Academy of Sïkhanéjādū. India - Satpura National Park - Central Asia (India, Bangladesh, Burma, Nepal, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iran, Bhutan, Sri Lanka, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan). - Aman VAGHELA et Idha BHATTI : Aman Vaghela is a sorcerer from the highest caste in India. He protested against lack of means given lower castes to study magic. First member of the Wizengamot with his wife, Idha Bhatti, he decided to become headmaster of Sïkhanéjādū to change attitudes and offer a chance to study to all - no matter their ages or their families. Having taken a vow of silence, it’s that wife who is “the spokeswoman of the voiceless”. Trivia : - Sïkhanéjādū’s emblem is a peacock spreading its tail. - anyone can attend classes, regardless of age or social caste. - the diploma is obtained by accumulation of “units”. To validate a diploma, you need a minimum of 1500 units. The maximum is 3000 units. - each topic is worth units. (ex : Charms maximum value is 500 U) - for validating a topic, you must obtain a minimum of Units. (ex : to validate the course of Charm, you need minimum 400 U) - required courses are : Charms ; Defence Against the Dark Arts (300 U. min - 500 U. max) ; History of Magic (200 U min - 500 U max). [those courses are validated in seven years.] - complementary courses are : Applied Magic/Magical Theory (120 U min - 240 U max) ; Ancient Arts (200 U min - 240 U max) [are validated both in 4 years] ; Arithmancy (200 U min - 240 U max) [is validated in 5 years]. - optional courses are : Herbology (90 U min - 180 U max) ; Potions (90 U min - 180 U max) [are validated in 5 years] ; Care of Magical Creatures/Dressage (160 U min - 180 U max) [is validated in 4 years] ; Apparition (170 U min - 180 U max) [is validated in 1 year]. - facultative courses are : Muggle Studies ( 12 U min - 20 U max) [is validated in 4 years] ; Flying (10 U min - 20 U max) [is validated in 1 years + 1 year of flight applied] ; Meditation (10 U min - 20 U max) [is validated in 5 years] - courses under conditions : Legilimency, Occlumency, Transfiguration. These are qualifications and they reported no Units. - there are clubs : Astronomy; Duel; Dance; Music; Poetry; Sports ; Art…
• Koldovstoretz School. Russia - Siberian plateau - North Asia (Russia, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Georgia, Mongolia) (+ the muggle-borns not allowed to Durmstrang). - Anatoli STALRUK (Anatoli Steel Hands) : man of action and competent sorcerer, Anatolia became headmaster of Koldovstoretz by default. Former Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, it was his older brother (the Minister of Russian Magic, Nikolai STALGLAVA, aka Nikolai Steel Head) who appoints the Headmaster. Leaving joyfully to his paperwork to his sub-alternates, Anatoli prefers having fun in the corridors of the huge school, looking to disrupt classes and students to challenge. He has no policy and leaves full responsibility of education to his teachers and deputy headmaster. Trivia : - Koldovstoretz is the second largest school in the world both in terms of space of student numbers. - the school was remodeled by the famous Baba Yaga. - schools can literally move to prevent it being found. - the school has a hymn (students love to sing). - students are very patriotic to their school - many parties are organized by students. - Koldovstoretz welcomes the muggle-borns are not allowed to Durmstrang. - of school is at the heart of a constant blizzard preventing anyone from approaching. - the students go to school by sled (similar to the Knight Bus). - teachers and sometimes the director eat the same tables as students. - most of the time, students are left to themselves and younger dependent on the benevolence of their elders. - Inuit living in Siberia study their own magic but they must pass regulatory reviews of Koldovstoretz to be recognized by the Ministry. - it’s possible to study black magic. - pets are not officially allowed. - they play a version of Quidditch where they fly on entire, uprooted trees instead of broomsticks.
• Mahoutokoro School of Magic. Japan -
Volcanic island of Minami Iwo Jima
- South Asia (Japan, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand) - TOKUGAWA Danjo : descendant of the Matsudaira clan, founder of Mahoutokoro. Danjo Tokugawa is a stocky men, bald and fat. Severe in his instruction, he only wants the best of his students and doesn’t hesitate to exclude those who are not up to par. Trivia : - the school blazon is the Matsudaira clan’s “Mon”(circle around three Hollyhock leaves). - only a member of the Tokugawa clan get the post of Headmaster / Headmistress. - the school is formed by
connected by bridges. - there are a total of 11 islets : one building for the headmaster and teachers (school entry) ; one for the main building (classrooms and library) ; two dormitories (one for girls and one for boys) ; one for kitchens ; five for gardens ; and finally, a last which serves as training ground. - in the most remote
islet of gardens find a temple with a Go-Shinboku planted since the school’s founding. - tutor system (senpei / kohai) is very present. - students address their teachers by calling them “sensei”. - the school is known for its large number of non-human spiritous apparition. - even if everyone can follow any topic, some are qualify as feminin and other as masculin and it’s frowned upon to depart from the rule. - even if everyone is accepted, students have to merit their places in school. - school organizes annual sports festival. (Headmaster annually invites other schools to participate even if the answer was always negative.) - the tests are : obstacle course; hunting flag; duel; demonstration ; Quidditch
• Móshùdifang, Institute of magic. China - Guilin - Central Asia (China, Korea, Tibet) - XIE An : Madam Xie An is known internationally for having fought and tamed a dragon. Respectable Seers and apprentive of the most powerful Chinese sorcerer : she inherits his position as headmistress in place of the second apprentice (and newly Minister of Magic Chinese). She creates an atmosphere of mutual aid between students and encourages working group. She is very proud of his school and its students. She doesn’t like the current headmaster of Mahoutokoro. Trivia : - Móshùdifang’s blazon is a dragon surrounding the sinogramme of "magic" and “place” in the center of a hexagon. - it’s the second oldest school of magic. - school starts at twelve years and lasts six years. - the school is located atop a hill. - each generation of students is supervised by a “governess” to guide them through their entire schooling. - the tower that serves as a dormitory is organized so that each stage represents a year. - the school specializes in enchantments and divination.
I may or may not begin a story (that I probably never finish) for each of these schools …
It’s never parlous to have a party, Cornelius noted, winking at the third lady that walked by without a partner. She barely registered it, and a shred of irritation piled up in the pit of his stomach. This was the effect the injured children - the Halloween fiasco - he had christened it so in his latest article, had on the Wizarding World, even on the elite portion of society. Everything was muted; all of the glorious dresses the women were wearing were dull colours, the music seemed quieter than it used to be, and his only company were spinsters and elderly men, shaking their heads gravely as if the dark days were only now registering with them. He briefly considered leaving, until a colourful figure entered his field of vision: Alecto Carrow. Instantly his gloomy expression flipped into something as charming as could be, his eyes as dark and shining as an adder’s. He made his away over to her, snatching a glass of firewhiskey from a nearby waiter. “Miss Carrow, what a blessed sight you are on the eyes. How’s my favourite twin doing?”
Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore 1881-1997 Personally, I feel that this man needs no introduction. An astounding presence in life and also in death, Albus Dumbledore is a name that will be spoken for generations to come. Please read on as celebrity correspondent, Samantha Fawcett sits down for a gripping and in-depth interview with the portrait of one of the greatest wizards our world will ever know. Barnabas Cuffe; editor in chief
SF: Good evening, Headmaster Dumbledore. Samantha Fawcett here, Celebrity Correspondent with The Daily Prophet. I’d be happy to begin our interview when you’re ready. *Glances up at the regal portrait in the circular room, intent on -not- fidgeting as she locks gaze with the familiar twinkling blue orbs of yesteryear*
AD: *Beams down at one of his former students as she enters, nodding thoughtfully at her* Hello, Miss Fawcett.. Please, have a seat.
SF: Thank you, Headmaster. *Smiles, sinking into an overly stuffed chair, inwardly chastising self for her hesitance in the presence of the greatest Wizard of their time* The champion of commoners, of Mudbloods and Muggles as referred to by the late dark wizard, Voldemort, a wielder of Gryffindor’s sword, Head Boy, Prefect, Winner of the Barnabus Finkley Prize for Exceptional Spell-Casting, British Youth Representative to the Wizengamot, Gold Medal-Winner for Ground-Breaking Contribution to the International Alchemical Conference in Cairo, Transfiguration professor, and later the Headmaster of Hogwarts, Defeater of the dark wizard Grindelwald, and the discoverer of the twelve uses of dragon blood, Order of Merlin, First Class, and Grand Sorcerer, Founder and Secret Keeper, Supreme Mugwump of the International Confederation of Wizards, Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot.. I could fill pages with accolades and names to describe you, Headmaster Dumbledore. You have truly touched the lives of, if not all, most of the Wizarding population in Britain; but tell us, who -you- see yourself as? *Rolls the corner of her lip, quill held poised atop parchment, ready to note his reply*
AD: That’s quite a list you’ve compiled there, Miss Fawcett. *Smiles warmly* All of those erstwhile accomplishments were simply things I saw fit to do with my life, for one reason or another. To some they are impressive, to others..*Shrugs just so, expression softening into an easy smile* Quite simply I see myself as a portrait Miss Fawcett, for there is no reason to deny the facts. *Smiles a bit wider, eyes twinkling with something unsaid* ..Even in death.
SF: *Flushes at his words, before offering him a soft smile, feeling some of her apprehension melt away as she nods, as always amazed by his logic, fully aware that many a people refused to acknowledge the basic facts in their lives, opting to live a half existence, one lived in the shadows, in doubts and in half-truths* Headmaster, you’ve had such a crucial role in the decades long fight against Voldemort. You’ve made many a sacrifices yourself and demanded in kind of those following you. Many have accused you of essentially harboring similar aspirations as Grindelwald’s “For the greater good.” How do you respond to that? *Glances back up at, cerulean orbs flashing just so, expectant*
AD: Well, I suppose I could say that since I am no longer tethered amongst the living that it matters not. *Chuckles lightly at his own mirth, head shaking in slight delight for a moment before continuing* I never made a habit of putting much faith in other people’s stock of me, Miss Fawcett; it is certainly no way to live a life. I certainly am not proud of every choice I made in my long life, but I stand behind each of them. Life is a lesson, I like to think I learned from it. *Offers her another warm smile*
SF: Indeed. *Murmurs, self inking quill scribbling away madly in the still of the room, aware of the intent gaze of the former Headmasters and Headmistresses of Hogwarts on her* Headmaster.. *Leans forward, voice unwittingly dropping into a hushed whisper* What did you truly see in the Mirror of Erised?
AD: That isn’t the first time I’ve been asked that very question, Miss Fawcett. *Smiles fondly, thinking back to a particular moment in his past where a dark haired boy asked him a rather similar question* I think it does not do to dwell on the misconceptions of a magical artifact such as Erised, but I will tell you as I told the inquirer before you; one can never have enough socks. *Nods knowingly*
SF: No, one can never have enough socks, Headmaster. *Giggles, amused by his enigmatic air even in death* If you could have had one of the Time Turners from the Chamber of Time in the Department of Mysteries, how many spins would you have given it? *Delicate fingers curl tighter around her quill, eager for his reply*
AD: *Chuckles at the question, sliding his spectacles back up on his nose* I think I’ve had more than my fair share of meddling with time, but if I had to say I think I’d rather like to revisit one of the days Professor Sprout would whip up a batch of her crinkle crackle. I never could get my fill of the stuff. *Smiles down at, nodding slightly*
SF: *Smiles back at him, head shaking in fond amusement; amazed by the simple wish of a man who had lived -such- a rich life* Is it true that your Sherbet Lemons were infused with a Calming Draught? *Arches a blonde brow at, cerulean orbs alight with mischief*
AD: *Lifts brows at the question, mouth curving into a small grin* I’m afraid I’ve no idea what you are referring to, Miss Fawcett. *Offers her the slightest of winks that might not have even been there, reaching into his very own bowl of sherbert lemons painted on the table beside him*
SF: *Giggles surreptitiously, her eyes trailing the movements and lingering on the bowl of brightly painted sherbet lemons; finding herself nearly expecting an offering of her own before slowly shaking her head and peering down her parchment* Headmaster.. *Glance* How did you know that Lily Potter had invoked ancient magic in order to save her son, Harry? *Rolls corner of her lip, brows creasing just so*
AD: *Smiles a bit wistfully, fingers steepled together in thought* There is simply nothing else could have deflected the actions brought forth by Voldemort other than that which he did not possess.
SF: *Inclines head slowly, finding her eyes glassy, if only for a heartbeat; the lingering pain in the late Headmaster’s voice easily translating through time and space, through life and death* If you had been an Animagus, what would you have been and why? *Clears throat, eying him expectantly*
AD: Oh I think I would very much enjoyed being a bird of some sort. They seem to have a good time of it, don’t they? *Chuckles lightly, smiling warmly down at her*
SF: Yes, I would imagine they do. *Beams, making a note of his selection* At one point, you had in your possession the three Hallows and.. *Recalls to mind the blackened wand-hand of the Headmaster in her sixth year* Headmaster, did you give in to the temptation? To the promise of Death? *Whispers breathlessly*
AD: *Smiles at her obvious intrigue, not at all unsettled by the question* I gave in to many temptations in my long life, Miss Fawcett, and my role in the fate of the Hallows was not always a clear one, but I’d like to think that when it mattered, I did them right.
SF: *Parts rosy lips to inquire further about his true meaning, but instead finds her eyes lingering on the next question on her parchment, wryly amused that not even death had managed to quell the man’s penchant for speaking in riddles* Having lived for a long time, comes with many regrets and moments of joy. We all make mistakes and we strive to learn from them. Please, if you would, share with us one of your lessons in life.
AD: *Considers her question for a long moment before responding, steepled fingertips resting beneath his chin* I think the most important thing I can share is the knowledge that differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open. This is a message that I believe everyone can benefit from learning. In this age, politics are divisive instead of unifying. What we must all realize is that we all should be striving toward the same ultimate goal: to make the beautiful world you live in a better place. If you open your hearts and minds up to those who think differently than you, then perhaps you will begin to sincerely work together to build better communities, stronger sense of leadership, and a healing world for a brighter tomorrow.
SF: *Nods, rapidly, agreeing wholeheartedly with his sage words, quill scribbling away madly all the while, taking down each of his words precisely* Do you have any words for the readers of The Daily Prophet? For the unspoken heroes? For the ones on the verge of taking the road less travelled, for the better or for worse? For the generations of eager witches and wizards who grow up to the stories of Albus Dumbledore, the greatest wizard of modern time?
AD: *Sighs quietly as he considers her question carefully, hands now folded in his lap as he begins to speak* It is our choices…that define who we truly are, far more than our abilities. Who we are and the direction of our lives does not depend on our past, the amount of Galleons in our vaults, our parents, our ability to sing, our mental capacity to learn, our looks, or our athletic ability. Rather, it is our choices, whether large or small, that determines our character, personality, and the satisfaction we derive from life. *Pauses for a moment, smiling warmly* Just don’t forget to live, remember that.
SF: *Sighs softly, gaze introspective, the weight of his words, of the freely and sincerely given advice a comforting solace* One last question, Headmaster.. *Murmurs, slowly collecting her parchments, humbled and honored for the time she had spent with the wizened man as she glances back up at, fingertips brushing away an errant blonde strand, rosy lips twitching with a fond smile* How do you enjoy life as a portrait?
AD: Oh, *Chuckles lightly, pushing up his spectacles once again* I would liken it to a very long vacation. Which is most welcome when one has lived as long as I.
Headmaster Dumbledore, is the quintessential archetype of what we equate with a champion for the people, with a hero, with a leader. I was utterly humbled to sit across his portrait, which in this reporter’s opinion, still exudes the power and charisma so often associated with the late Albus Dumbledore. This article reminds us, yet again, that happiness and joy can -truly- be found in the smallest and seemingly insignificant moments of life, if one only is -truly- at peace in one’s own skin and lives life to the fullest of -one’s- abilities, heedless of anyone else’s.