We saw the show on Wednesday, July 12th. We sat in the right hand box seats, with the 39 dollar rush tickets. Here is our (long!!!!!) review!
-At the beginning an ensemble member with an incredibly intimidating Russian accent said “Anyone with their phones out will be found by the KGB. Repeat offenders will be sent to Siberia!” -During “Moscow” Marya SHOVES Sonya out of the way to go touch Natasha on the cheek and Sonya looks,,, a little offended -During “The Private and Intimate Life of the House” both Mary and Bolkonsky pull audience members onstage -Also I was really surprised but a lot of people found the line “They are there upon his head” really funny? Guys… it’s not that funny… -Anatole’s Incredibly Dramatic Entrance™ in The Opera which he flung his head from side to side and walked in through the door in a way that, yes, would have been amusing had he not been s o g o o d l o o k i n g -In “The Opera”, when they say “and took his place in the front row next to Dolokhov,” Anatole and Dolokhov do this elaborate bro-hug-handshake (think The Parent Trap with Lindsay Lohan) -Oh god in “Natasha and Anatole” whenever Anatole looks away from Natasha for like a second, Natasha would wrench open her locket and gaze into it like “don’t cheat, don’t cheat, don’t cheat” -Then in “Charming”, Helene just… straight up rips the locket off Natasha’s neck and replaces it with pearls -Literally everything about The Duel -For the first like 2 minutes Anatole was just… lying in Dolokhov’s lap -The Intense Strobe Lights -The dancers got glow sticks and bracelets like it was a rave -Halfway through a lady with glow sticks dripping off of her lay down on our staircase and asked us if we were enjoying the strobe lights as much as she was, then proclaimed, “I love glow sticks… Okay I’m sleepy I’m just going to lie here now” -I didn’t see this but @aquamarineoblivion tells me that there was a guy on Stage Right wearing just chain link pants and humping the ground???? -Okay people talk about the people in BDSM gear but it’s not just like a guy with handcuffs, it’s (I think) Marya(!!!) in full-on leather straps with a whip and 2 (female) ensemble members in jet black bras and lingerie like, acting it all out kind of graphically almost? -In “The Duel” Pierre walks towards Dolokhov after shooting him and then when Anatole says “Pierre STAND BACK!” he just stands there with his arms out like a target looking so hopeless which would have been heart-wrenching had I not thought of that “reverts into a T pose” thing because that was EXACTLY what he did -As “The Duel” is transitioning into “Dust and Ashes,” when you can physically feel Pierre’s existential crisis, the two ensemble members in BDSM gear push past Pierre and Anatole (standing on the stage left stairs), almost knocking Anatole down -”Dust and Ashes” was… incredible and Oak sings it SO WELL oh my god -In “Sunday Morning", Anatole positions himself at the side of the stage so that Natasha sees him in her mirror -”Charming” is even gayer in person -Oh god “The Ball” was a trip and a half -EVERYONE except Natasha and Anatole were wearing elegant 19th century fursuits (the guys wore bear and wolf masks, the ladies wore either cat ears and tails or wings) -After they danced the ecossaise, guys started dancing with guys and girls with girls -During “Letters” when Dolokhov goes “a letter which I composed!”, Anatole looks at him exasperatedly like “BOI” -I didn’t notice much of “Preparations” because it’s hard to pay attention to a song when an Incredibly Hot Lady with a violin wearing just a black bra and short skirt is twerking on the staircase near your box -Although I did notice what might have been The Funniest little detail in the show- Anatole says “lend me fifty rubles,” and then when Pierre takes out his wallet and removes the 50 rubles, Anatole takes his wallet instead like GET FUCKIN PLAYED PIERRE and he (Pierre) is just like standing there like “that bad man just took my wallet” -Balaga is incredible. Just. Incredible. -Sonya is dancing in Balaga? Like? Why is you here sister -Anatole and Dolokhov kiss in Balaga! -Marya and Helene kiss in The Abduction! -It’s two totally different dynamics though- Anatole and Dolokhov aren’t really making a big deal about it, it’s almost like “oh hey everyone’s focusing on Balaga, we should have a goodbye kiss”. However, Marya and Helene just like stand there for a minute and a half sucking face and then come apart looking so… shell-shocked and just kinda hold hands and stare into the middle distance for the rest of the song -If you think Lucas Steele is hot, let me assure you that Lucas Steele with a violin is… also hot -”The Abduction” was the Best song but I won’t say too much about it because of the Tonies performance -In “Pierre and Anatole” when Pierre says “besides your pleasure” he motions towards Anatole’s crotch (and not subtly, either) -Also Anatole looked so scared when Pierre was threatening him with the paperweight that you kinda almost felt bad for him? -Oh god the saddest moment in the show wasn’t Dust and Ashes, it was in Pierre and Andrey. At the end, Mary runs towards Andrey to hug him, and Andrey pushes her away, and walks away just like his father. ;_; -Of course after the show in case you were too sad everyone comes back on and dances in a circle to the “whoa-oh” melody (from The Duel + Balaga) -Dolokhov was wearing eyeliner (I know nothing about makeup, but according to Aly, it was on point) -Just… the whole thing was such an INCREDIBLE EXPERIENCE??????????????????????????? -Oh yeah and then at stagedoor, everyone’s sharpies were kind of dying except for Lucas and Oak (of course.) -Oh yeah and Natasha was played by Shoba Narayan who was SO SO SO GOOD? I was a little sad at first but she filled the Natasha role PERFECTLY??? -All in all: a life-changing experience. I would rate it 1812/10. Made me appreciate the plot, soundtrack, cast, and crew so much more.
- when keith was younger, shiro use to let him ride around on his shoulders
- they do the creepy thing where they talk at the same time
• lance: (yawns) morning everyone
• keith and shiro in unison: good morning, lance.
• lance, having a stroke: whwwayag
- they also share? thoughts????
• keith: hey shiro have you seen my tangle?
• shiro, at the same time: oh yeah btw keith i found your tangles earlier
• lance, on the floor: i hate this
- keith lent shiro his ipod for the kerberos mission and one day shiro finds it and is like “holy shit. guys, you have to listen to keith’s old music.” (lance, in the background: jesus christ is this sleeping with sirens)
- they started a band when keith was 7 and shiro was 16 but they broke up because even though shiro was the lead singer and keith played the drums (plastic bongos from toys r us), keith wanted to call it “keith and the cadets”
- keith can’t zip up jackets or button clothes up, shiro can’t tie his laces. they help each other. (neither can fold laundry, hunk freaks out about this)
- they have a secret handshake (i know this is a Bad example but think the handshake from the sister trap) but haven’t really done it since shiro got rescued. one day, after a really good mission, they just do it out of nowhere and everyone (including them) is like “holy shit” (hunk and lance try to learn it in private later on)
- they speak for each other. like allura will ask shiro if he wants to try something “similar to earth peppers” and before shiro can answer, keith says “depends. shiro hates green peppers, but loves anything spicy.” without even looking up. allura is confused, but shiro just nods.
- they’ve binge watched all of naruto at least three times together
(DONT TAG AS S/HALADIN OR SH/EITH YOU GROSS FUCKS)
I don’t care that it’s out of character, I want all of the Neil Being Silly™ scenarios
- Holding the cat’s tail between his nose and upper lip like a mustache to distract Andrew from the silent studying that they’ve been doing all afternoon - Disappearing into Allison’s walk-in closet and coming out five minutes later wearing a giant hat, a scarf, sparkly sunglasses, and a bright pink coat, just to make the girls laugh - Matt takes them all out to a bar that he likes so Neil pays the bartender a hundred dollars to bring Matt the wrong drink all night. Matt orders a Yeungling and gets a strawberry margarita. The bartender pretends that he has other customers to serve and ignores Matt until he finally sighs and walks away. Twenty minutes later he comes back to try to order a Blue Moon and gets an Apple-tini. It keeps happening for the rest of the night, and Matt gets such a kick out of it that Neil doesn’t admit that it was his doing until the next morning - The power goes out in the dorms and Neil, light footed and quick as he is, discovers that he can easily move around the different rooms without people noticing. He tiptoes into the kitchen behind Renee, realizes when it’s already too late how stupid it is to sneak-attack a former-gang member, and hits the ground hard. Renee is immediately apologetic, but Neil just laughs at himself for an hour, staring up at the ceiling and holding his shirt to his bloody nose. When the power comes back on Andrew finds them, both laying on the ground and making shadow puppets with their flashlights. - He and Dan have a secret handshake, which is just the handshake from The Parent Trap with a weird running-in-place and then dramatic throwing of an exy ball motion at the end - Kevin (once he’s able to properly deal with some of his life’s trauma) is also fairly silly, but it’s more sporadic and subtle. Kevin likes to people watch and give strangers ridiculous voices and back stories, so he and Neil have a standing date every Wednesday (before night practice) at the food court at the mall. Neil makes his voice high and flutey for most women, and he usually defaults them to a southern accent. Kevin decides their back-stories based on whatever bags they’re carrying. - Nicky is the silliest member of the entire gang and you can’t tell me that Neil doesn’t go along with him. They make dumb noises back and forth at each other constantly and then laugh like it’s the funniest thing they’ve ever experienced. They rock out in the car together, jamming on air guitar and air drums and staring at the passengers in the cars next to them at red lights. They have ridiculous catch phrases that only they understand (”Not on my tomato!”or “Two balls, Jeremy!” [which is definitely somehow in reference to Kevin’s love for Jeremy Knox, Kevin is sure]), and use nouns as verbs a lot. (”what are you doing?” “couching” “oh cool, i’ll be right over.”) Sometimes they have moments where it’s just minutes of them gasping for breath because they’re laughing so hard.
I just want Neil happy and free and feeling safe enough with his family to be his ridiculous and adorable self
// Jimmy / M.I.A. // A Well Respected Man / The Kinks // Clint Eastwood / Gorillaz // Mine’s Not a High Horse / The Shins // Boardwalks / Little May // One of These Things First/ Nick Drake // On My Way Back Home / Band of Horses // Silver Lining / Rilo Kiley // Man Of A Thousand Faces / Regina Spektor // High and Dry / Radiohead // Elephant Gun / Beirut // Fools / The Temper Trap // Handshake / Two Door Cinema Club // Lay It Down / The Rubens //Always Like This / Bombay Bicycle Club // The Greatest / Cat Power // Sing / Travis // Ambling Alp / Yeasayer // (Don’t Fear) The Reaper / Blue Öyster Cult // Lazy Eye / Silversun Pickups //