Inspired by these awesome posts: x, x, here’s a list of ten (of many tbh) romance tropes played with in Mike and Harvey’s narrative, starting with ones that actually are on TVTropes, followed by ones that are just general narrative things (All gif credits at bottom of post):
Do I even need to explain this one? A sick grandmother, running from the cops, mistaken identity…Literally the first 20 minutes of this series is about these two and how they’re going to meet thanks to some crazy circumstances, and how a malfunctioning briefcase full of pot is going to change their lives (and they don’t even know it yet):
Harvey passed Mike and Trevor on the street ‘five years ago’ when Mike was working as a bike messenger and Mike said ‘If I ever look like that shoot me’ which is ironic because he will work so hard to look like that in five years but also not that ironic because Mike probably said that to deflect Trevor’s attention from the fact that he is 100% checking Harvey out and very interested in what he sees (And it is what he sees, since the camera is Mike’s gaze and it does a full elevator scan. Interesting choice there, editors):
I’d have to post the entirety of 3x02 to illustrate it all tbh? From the ‘We’re done but I’m still going to be pissy about your new relationship nvm that the trigger for you falling into the relationship was that you were upset from our “break-up”’:
to the ‘I’m going to get right in your face for maximum UST and heartbreak for when I tell you we’re done’:
to poor Louis becoming the disposable fiancé who sees an opportunity:
and woos Mike:
while Harvey denies to himself how much he loves misses him (while looking that heartbroken jesus gabriel):
And of course it doesn’t work because right as Mike and Louis are about to ‘make it official’:
Along comes Harvey like everyone knew he would with these faces and ‘You’re not going back on your word [to Louis], you’re going back where you belong [with me]’:
And then you get the Big Damn…High Five:
(with Louis looking on which is bittersweet because unlike the usual disposable fiancé scenario he is sympathetic).
Okay, literally, this is even more romantic here than in its usual use?? “Most commonly found in Romantic Comedies, Race For Your Love usually occurs five minutes or so before the credits roll.” “Someone is about to leave the city/state/country forever, but their lover runs to the train station/airport to convince them to stay.”
Except Mike is not about to leave the city he’s about to turn himself in to make sure Harvey doesn’t do the same, to protect Harvey, and Harvey’s running to stop him?? And we get shots of Harvey running this long fucking run in slow mo (and it continues into the next episode lmao):
“An act of sacrifice or high risk, motivated by love, which proves beyond a doubt that you put your loved one’s needs before your own.”
Not only do they both pull these, they fight about who gets to put the other’s safety above his own, multiple times:
This happens again for a whole half fucking season I’m not going to post gifs of all of it because it would be too many but it culminates in a downright physical fight because Harvey’s pissed Mike’s pulling the Act of True Love and has locked him out of doing it and so he throws a fucking glass and then goads him into hitting him because he’s in that much pain over what Mike’s doing for him what the fuck:
And then Mike goes to prison and Harvey gets him out because of course, and you’d think it’d be over now right? But nope.
Narrative things that aren’t really on tvtropes:
They’re just very, very protective and territorial of each other. Not hard to interpret as a romance trope at all. Again, to illustrate, I’d have to post gifs from the whole show so just have two at random:
9. “Staring at the empty space you should fill”:
I mean, I guess there’s a platonic interpretation for standing outside someone’s empty office with your morning coffee, broodingly staring at the chair they used to sit in. I usually only see behavior like this in romantic contexts in other media though:
10. “At Your Door” parallels
Doorstep parallels are just an otp staple and they have the most in the show. Like, someone still has to make an updated version with the most recent examples lmao, so here’s another two at random:
Hidden Talents Summary: While checking out a location, Jane and Kurt discover another one of her hidden talents. Fluffity fluff fluff.
“Doesn’t look like there’s anything here,” Kurt said as he walked into yet another empty, abandoned room in the large house. Just like every other room before it, it looked like it had not been lived in in at least ten years. Furniture was covered, a thick layer of dust on every surface.
“Nothing in here either,” Jane replied through the comms. They’d split up, each taking one section of the house. They knew it was long shot, but everything was worth checking out in their war against Shepherd. So when Patterson came across this address, they had immediately geared up and left to check it out. It was just the two of them. Patterson was still recovering and limited to lab duties only and Reade and Tasha were following up another lead.
“I’ll meet you back in the main entry hall,” Kurt said as he exited the room and went back. He was almost back downstairs when he heard it. Music. A soft piano melody; and he followed it to where it was coming from.
“I didn’t know you could play,” Kurt said when the music stopped. He’d been standing in the doorway for a few minutes, watching in awe as Jane masterfully played the piano, focused on the keys in front of her and on the music, she had not noticed him.
Share ten facts about yourself, then send this to your ten favourite followers (❁´◡`❁)*✲ﾟ*
That’s so sweet! Thank you! I feel honored.
1. I love Jesus - this is probably clear though! 2. I have freckles! My dad was a redhead, so I got some of the perks of it in my DNA hehe 3. I’m currently writing my first novel, and I write poetry
4. Also, I like writing down the things that God teaches me, from Bible studies to every day things, kind of a diary 5. Photography has been my number one hobbie since my teenage days and I really enjoy it 6. I love princess stories, castles, sparkly dresses, swords, forests, pretty much anything medieval (and also period dramas). 7. I’m in college and I graduate this year!!!!!!!!! 8. I have very strong convictions about relationships and marriage, and I intend to not even kiss until I say “yes” at the altar. 9. I love cinematography and chick flicks, so I own a blog about it @chickflickstills 10. I play the guitar (not very well, but I can at least worship God and have fun!)
Netflix releases things across the USA at the exact same time. So no, the East Coast will NOTbe getting season two first. It’ll be released once the entire US (Excluding Hawaii and Alaska) are on January 20th. So they go by PST (West Coast time)
Release times are as follows:
West coast (PST): Midnight. 12:00am PST January 20th
Mountain Time (MST): One in the morning. 1:00am MST January 20th
Central Time (CST): Two in the morning. 2:00am CST January 20th
East Coast (EST): Three in the morning. 3:00am EST January 20th
Time’s I’m not 100% positive on:
Alaska (AKST): Eleven at night. 11:00pm AKST January 19th
Hawaii (HST): Ten at night. 10:00pm HST January 19th
If the time releases for Hawaii and Alaska are incorrect please feel free to correct this!
I’m also not sure what time Netflix releases things in other countries, if anybody knows please feel free to add onto this post.
Dude can you do a continuation of the sparrow thing where hanzo gets nicknames at overwatch and his reaction to it
Heck yeah I can, and I’m gonna make it McHanzo-flavored to boot
Hanzo follows Genji to Overwatch after a couple of months, after the knowledge that he lives has eaten too far into him to ignore. Genji is wary, as he should be, but nonetheless incredibly pleased that Hanzo has joined him.
The first time Genji calls him Brother, for the first time in ten years, Hanzo excuses himself after and has a panic attack in his room.
People in Overwatch are … friendly. More or less.
They all start with that distrust of him, that is true, and he doesn’t blame them one bit. He is surprised they allowed him to join them at all, and probably would have thrown them off the high Gibraltar cliffs if Genji hadn’t vouched for him.
Genji has other names, now; everyone refers to him with fondness. Lena calls him Luv, which Hanzo learns is a general term of endearment for her. Lucio and Hana call him Ninja, which strikes Hanzo as a little too literal.
Most of them call him either Hanzo or Shimada-san, depending on how aware they are of Japanese honorifics. He expects epithets more like Murderer or Traitor. It would be no less than he deserves.
The only one who doesn’t shy away is the cowboy, who doesn’t call him much of anything outside of partner, the same way anyone else would say friend.
“I do not think they want me here,” Hanzo admits to Genji one evening. Because why would they?
“They do,” Genji assures him. “You are a valuable asset. And they like you, when you’re being pleasant. Do not worry, brother.”
Hanzo manages not to have a panic attack this time, but it’s a near thing.
When the nicknames do start, Hanzo is startled, almost afraid.
Lucio’s nickname for him is Legolas, a reference that Hanzo doesn’t understand but is assured is appropriate–and once Reinhardt hears it, he is nothing less than ecstatic and also starts saying it. Lena’s is still Luv, like it is for most people, or sometimes Broody if she’s teasing. Hana just call him an old man, which he accepts in good humor because he probably does seem old, compared to her. It is better than what she could be calling him.
McCree eventually calls him Archer, but Hanzo thinks he would not mind him just calling him by name just to hear it in McCree’s rich, drawling voice.
One of the things McCree calls everyone else is an odd one: Darlin’. It’s the kind of thing one would expect to hear only between significant others, but McCree just shrugs and says, “I dunno, I don’t really notice when I say it. I just say it to people I like sometimes.”
Hanzo monitors its usage. McCree mostly calls the women darling, moreso when he’s trying to be sweet (or get something) and with the people he’s known the longest. Once, he even says it to Genji.
Hanzo realizes he has never heard it aimed his way. When the realization hits, his stomach twists and churns with cold, vicious jealousy. For a brief second, he hates that once again, his own brother is being shown the kind of affection he never is.
Horror and shame dawn on him immediately after, and he can’t bear to look Genji in the eye for the rest of the night.
McCree kisses him one night, after a mission that was just this side of too close for comfort. Hanzo accepts it, kisses back, takes what he can before McCree realizes his mistake.
But McCree never shows a hint of regret, and Hanzo doesn’t have the courage to end it before he ruins it.
After that night, McCree’s names for him take a turn: now it’s darling and sweetheart and, on one or two occasions, gorgeous. Hanzo sometimes forgets that these terms are aimed at him, sometimes that they’re aimed only at him.
They’re not really nicknames, Hanzo realizes after a little while. They’re pet names. Affection. Perhaps, he thinks wildly, maybe even love.
Hanzo can’t remember if he’s ever called anyone, aside from his family, anything but their name. But he tries it one night, takes McCree’s word and turns it back to him, the word darling feeling unfamiliar and childish as he murmurs it against the warm skin of McCree’s neck.
McCree says nothing, but he grins a bashful sort of smile, and Hanzo resolves to make that the only thing he ever calls him again.
Thank you to each and every one of you that has followed my page, liked and reblogged my images and sent me such lovely words and encouragement of my art! I started this site in June, and it’s grown to 1,610 followers as of today and I appreciate the love so much!
Summary: Phil’s mother is adamant that he should be settling
down, so invites one of his turbulent exes to an annual family get-together the
following day. In a moment of panic, he tells her he’s already dating someone.
With no other options, he turns to Dan.
List 6 random facts about yourself and then pass it on to your 10 favorite followers!
Awwww my gosh thanks @i-lost-my-shoe26 1. for saying I am one of your ten favourite followers (eeeeeekkkkkk!) and 2. for the tag!
6 random facts about me… goddamn does anyone even care? lol no but hey anyway…
1. I am a virgo
2. I like being barefoot but me feetsies get cold quickly!
3. I wish I could just survive in a forest with little to no human contact
4. I love forests and mountains and caves
5. I like the stars
6. I truly love cars. I want an Imapla 67′ (obvs), Jensen Interceptor, 69′ Mustang Boss (legit its so beautiful and its fucking a 69! heh!), a GT Premium Fastback Mustang possibly in Grabber Blue (not that I have done research or anything!) and a Ram 3500
ten essential products I live by!! otherwise known as my glow kit!!
1) The Body Shop Seaweed Clay Mask- this mask is my one and only!!! I use this once a week and it always deep cleans my skin to a perfect amount and doesn’t leave my skin feeling too dry!! (always follow up with moisturizer though!!)
2) Maybelline Clear Great Lash Mascara- I have been obsessed with clear mascara for about a year now for my lashes and brows!! I use it on my brows daily and it is a perfect prep for mascara, clump-free mascara every time!! might even be my favourite product out of all of them!
3) Revlon Matte Balm in Sultry- I don’t wear lip colour very often but when I do, it’s this one. I have multiple of the Revlon matte balms but this is my favourite colour, it’s a sort of dark mauve-y pink and I love it :-)
4) Bene-tint for Lips and Cheeks- !!! A must if you are a minimal makeup gal like me! gives a lil flush to those cheekies and lips! plus it smells like a fresh bouquet of roses…. so…
5) Celestial Moisturizer from Lush- I have been using this moisturizer for almost 3 years now and I don’t think I’ll ever turn back to a different night moisturizer!! my skin loves me because I treat it to this delicious moisturizer on the daily :-) I have acne prone, oily skin and this doesn’t over hydrate, make me break out, or ANYTHING!! it’s just an incredibly gentle and hydrating moisturizer :-) highly suggest
6) Daisy Dream by Marc Jacobs- I LOV dis mainly because it’s a rollerball and those are just the handiest little friends. The scent is so light and yummy, just reminds me of good times so I think that is why I like it so much.
7) The Body Shop Vanilla Perfume Oil- heck!!!! I LOVE genuine vanilla scents. And this smells incredible and reacts incredibly well with my skin, as my neck heats up this creates a nutty vanilla smell and it’s so nice!! I love this so much, and it’s hecking discontinued so I am sad….
8) Covergirl Clump Crusher Extensions mascara- rarely ever wear mascara these days but when I do this mascara never lets me down :-) classic extra black mascara
9) Burt’s Bees Beeswax Lip Balm- I always have at least two of these on me at all times!! hydrating and smells so minty and yummy!! I love these so much.
10) The Body Shop Tea Tree Oil- great for spot treatment or even making your own toner by mixing a few drops of this with warm water!! This is my third bottle this year! I also love to do steam treatments with hot water, drops of this oil and a towel over my head!!
If any of u guys have any inquiries abt any of these products or anything else, don’t be a stranger :-)
Undead Paladin: Has the head priestess warmed up to me at all?
Me (DM): Not really… She’s adjusting. She’s stopped jumping whenever she catches sight of you, although you are still…
Undead Paladin: Unsettlingly?
Me: You are visibly dead. Some of the other clerics have warmed up, though; one younger one seems to think you are coolest thing to ever happen to this temple. He’s very chatty.
Drow “Rogue”: Oh no, he’s got a crush on her!
Me: Not like that…
Undead Paladin (ignoring the interruption): I don’t talk much.
Me: He does a good job of filling the silence.
Drow “Rogue”: Well, at least they won’t have to worry about birth control.
This was followed by about ten seconds of silence, and then by five minutes of me flipping right out, mostly consisting of repeating “No,” and explaining how no one at the table was ever going to mention this again, under pain of immediate character death.
The owner of the store we play in actually came over to see what was wrong.