My two cents that no one asked for:
1. I’ve had just about enough of people “convincing” Gillian to do things without giving her the full picture. So that’s my starting point with that.
2. On the other hand…if Gillian really had no clue what she was posing for a picture of that David was about to post all over social media (and so was she), then she could have, like, asked him. Or taken two seconds to google it if she really wanted to go all out.
3. On the other other hand, I’m sure she trusts him at this point, after all these years, and knows him well enough to know he’s not going to rope her into some cause she doesn’t believe in.
4. On yet another hand, David joking about it and being all like “lol she had no clue what she was doing, but I was like, this will be cool, lol she can’t drive either” is undeniably tone-deaf and undercuts the message of what they were doing in a disheartening way. To be blunt, it makes it all feel kinda fake and staged.
(4a. Even if five minutes of lending your famous name/face to a worthy cause is better than none minutes, regardless of how dashed off it is.)
5. However: David loves to tell a story, loves to be funny while telling that story, and – I suspect – everything else falls by the wayside while he is constructing and delivering that story. I’m not trying to be a DD apologist here when I say I’m not sure how literally that story should be taken.
6. Regardless, and regardless of how it actually went down with taking the photo, he shouldn’t have been so flippant about it. Honestly, this shows neither of them in the most flattering light.
7. On the (*counts* Scully, you’re not going to believe this) fifth hand, though, perhaps one thing that this shows us is that, like the rest of us, David and Gillian are muddling through, trying to give important things the attention they deserve but at the same time busy and distracted and self-centered and not always as good at it or as informed or as dialed-in as they aspire to be.