There’s a smell of Magick in the air! 🌙✨
When we’re not casting spells or mixing potions, we’re burning incense!🌿✨ Nag Champa is our favourite 😍 Sticks, cones and holders available on our site 🙌🏻 (www.practical-magick.co.uk)
4. Invoke - the presence of spirits to assist in tasks, to protect on journeys, to grant guidance, maintain connections and uphold contracts.
5. Craft - use the hands to create, to construct, imbue each creation with spirit and purpose, a meal, a potion, a carving, a weaving, enchant the mundane and material.
6. Sing - the old songs, the power songs, the prayers, the chants, to heal, to awaken, to enforce, to ward, sing the sun to sleep and the moon to rising, sing in the bath, at the hearth, in the heart.
7. Read - widely and deeply, old and new, academic and popular, across boundaries and taboos, slowly and with full attention, take notes, research, reflect.
8. Write - record experiences, practices, thoughts. keep journals and grimoires, spellbooks and scripts, remember, elucidate, illuminate.
9. Draw - sigils and runes, symbols and signs. Carve, paint, scratch, blacken, redden, scrawl, in the sand, with salt, in the air, with chalk, ink, blood, charcoal, the mind.
10. Collect - herbs, woods, stones, feathers, bones, teeth, soil, the raw materials of natural magic, fill jars, boxes, bags, gather, forage, wildcraft, thrift, take that which is discarded, value the found over the bought.
11. Observe - the cycles of moon, sun, planets, stars, take heed with the eyes as well as the almanac, feel the sap rise, the birds migrate, the bulbs awaken, the leaves wither.
12. Renew - old spells, old wards, protections, and boundaries. Clean what is obscured, recast what has weakened, maintain what is working, replace what is lost. Tie up loose ends.
13. Communicate - with everything, stones, trees, spirits, the dead, that which grows in the garden and that which visits it, other practitioners, mentors, students, seekers, the younger self, the higher self, the wyrd.
Grounding doesn’t have to be hard. Shake around, literally shake it off. Eat some toast. Stretch and stomp on the floor. Whatever. Be creative. It doesn’t all have to be about dirt and rocks and trees and stuff.
minor goddesses 1/12 ▻ hecate is the greek goddess of sorcery, often referred to as the “queen of ghosts”; she is variously associated with the moon, magic, witchcraft, crossroads, entrance-ways, knowledge of herbs and poisonous plants, ghosts and necromancy.
So I know most of you just starting off feel pressured to go and get a load of equipment to use in spells, and while I still believe it’s not strictly necessary to have spell ingredients and tools and words and intent alone are enough to suffice, I can understand wanting stuff to make you feel more witchy and to help you visualise stuff better etc.
So here are the bare basic things I recommend 😊
✨ a quartz crystal
- Because they are self cleansing - you never need to spiritually cleanse them
- because they are neutral - you can charge them with any intent you want and they will be able to carry them
- they can be used to cleanse - use it to cleanse yourself, use it to cleanse any other items you have
- they help transmit energy - perfect for helping you send energy to something or someone else
- they receive energy - perfect for channeling energy
- they amplify energy - use them to increase the power of anything else you are using in your magic
- cheap af
- completely innocuous - no one’s gonna look at it and think you must be a witch
Like literally fucking anywhere - go into a gift shop and you can probably find a Quartz crystal even if it’s on the end of a keyring or if it’s part of a gemstone chip bracelet, sometimes in the gift section of bookshops, in the birth stone section of a card shop, in most seaside gift shops, in museum gift shops, as a free gift on the front of a mind, body, spirit magazine….
✨ a feather
- it’s free af
- depending on the bird it can represent different things - Google bird meanings and omens etc
- represents the element of air
- use in cleansing spells by wafting around (yup. Simple as that - think feather dusters - cleansing!)
- comes from birds - birds fly- use in astral travel spells. Birds nest - use in home spells. Birds are free to roam where they want - use in freedom / release spells… Pretty damn versatile if you ask me!
- bonus - pretty, soft, fluffy
Literally walk out your front door, there’s probably one waiting for you right there. If not, try the back door.
✨ a stone
- again, free af
- represents earth element
- comes from ground and therefore can help you in grounding spells
- the phrase ‘solid as a rock?’ - use in spells that help you stabilise and settle down in life
- what can stones be used for? Building bridges, paths and buildings - use in spells that help you cross metaphorical bridges, that help you find your path, to help you lay foundations etc
Again, literally anywhere
✨ water (including some sort of bowl, jar, bottle, whatever… To hold said water)
- represents water element
- use in cleansing spells
- water represents emotions - use in any spell that deals with emotions
- still water is calming, use in calming spells
- bonus - research different types of water and how to use in witchcraft because sea water, rain water etc can all be used for different things but as a standard simply use tap water
- collect rain
- the tap????
✨ a battery operated tea light candle
- discreet and small - easy to hide away if necessary
- no need for lighter or matches
- safe af
- lasts longer than a real candle
- represents fire
- usually really cheap for a multipack
- most come with realistic flicker effect
- can get in different colours so can be used as an alternative to spell candles
- bonus - if you’re willing to spend a little more you can now get them in the style of church candles or taper candles and some of them have a sensor on them which lets you ‘blow them out’
- can be used for enlightening spells, passion, energising or any kind of candle spell
- nice to look at when meditating
- looks great in a candle holder
- safe to use as markers for you circle if you want to work within one and won’t matter if you’re clumsy af like me and knock it over
DIY stores, home stores, gift shops, clothes shops with home sections… Practically EVERYWHERE at Christmas… Most likely a pound / thrift store?
🌸 Can I just point out you now have an item to represent all of the elements? How fricking awesome is that?? You can use any kind of elemental spell now! Yay!🌸
- use in protection spells
- use to cleanse
- use in your bath to soothe sore, aching muscles, or to soften dry skin or hard nails
- any food shop
- most likely your kitchen
✨ black pepper (corns or ground)
- great for binding spells
- use to absorb negativity
- cheap af
Again, food store or probably already in your kitchen
✨ a notebook
- to jot down spells, your research, correspondences etc
Pretty much anywhere. You don’t need to spend a lot of money on it. Chances are after practicing for a little while you’ll settle down more into your own personal craft and realise a lot of the stuff you wrote down won’t be relevant to you and your beliefs any more and then by that point you will have been able to save up for a nice new fancy one and you can copy over the stuff you want to keep 😊
Take it from me, there is literally no point in spending loads of money on your first spell book, you will definitely out grow it.
✨ either a cheap multi-pack of different coloured cotton reels or ribbon
- use for string / ribbon magic (a very easy form of magic for beginners)
- use in binding spells
You could go to a craft shop but honestly, just go to your local pound / thrift shop or market to pick one up for £1. Craft shops will no doubt charge you more than you have to pay
✨ some form of tiny draw string cloth pouch or the fabric to make one
- use for making charm bags with
if you’re lucky you might be given one when you buy your Quartz crystal - people usually put crystals in little drawstring pouches, a lot of jewellery from eBay come in them too
So there you have it!
At the very most all you’ll be buying is a notebook, salt and pepper if you don’t already have it, a Quartz crystal, some cotton, a battery tea light and a tiny bag.
You should easy be able to get that for under £10 especially if you buy everything you can from a pound store!
If you want to start practicing divination, you could always get a pack of playing cards from there too and learn how to divine using them - that knowledge is only a Google search away!
How easy (and cheap) was that?
You’ll probably find that as you go on, the longer you practice you’ll probably add to your collection over time and then you’ll start making the occasional bigger purchase as a treat, you might want to buy some tarot cards for example…
But this should be more than enough to start you off! 😊
And you can keep them all hidden in a little box under your bed and no one needs to know anything about it if you don’t want them too 💕
This is very, VERY important, especially if you are considering doing Astral Travel or any sort of out of body travelling. This, well, to be put simply, grounds you to the earth.
What you can do to ground yourself is rather simple. This is different for every person so I will list a few things that you could do.
Imagine you are sitting in a forest/park/by a river/etc, somewhere nature related and relax. If you’re not relaxed, this may end up being uncomfortable or it may not work in general. Now, imagine that you’re a tree sprout and you’re rooting yourself in the earth. Imagine yourself growing tall and deeply rooted into the earth. After that, imagine that you turn into the roots and the tree slowly disappears. AFter that, you should be done. IF you do not feel secure or like youre actually rooted then you may need to try again.
relax and concentrate. Now, this is slightly similar to Method 1, but I find it helpful. You’re sitting wherever you please and your body is starting to become one with the earth. You are in the earth and one with it, imagine yourself with the roots and with everything around. Once you feel secure or firmly grounded, you’re good.
There are many other things that you could do for grounding, but these are the two methods that I generally use and have seen in the community. If you do have any ideas or methods that you have used, please feel free to message me ^_^ I am always open to new ideas!
Witchy uses for your phone for the frugal or secret witch
If you don’t have something for a spell here are some really easy things you can use your phone for:
✨download a candle app
✨download an app that lets you make a digital altar
✨set an altar up when you’re alone and safe to, take a photo of it and use that when you can’t have your real altar set it. (Even video it if you want lit candles!!)
✨Google and save the image of a tarot card/gemstone/feather/animal/altar tools required for a spell
✨use YouTube to play a bell chime or wind chimes
✨use YouTube to play a video of running water/the sea
✨download a meditation app that has sound clips- now you have bird call, water sounds, some have fire crackling…
✨use a drawing app to draw sigils and other symbols
✨ if a spell requires you to write something and then burn it, write it on a drawing app and then erase it
Other witchy things you can use your phone for:
✨digital book of shadows - either on your notes or you can download a password protected journal or note book app
✨download a tarot card app that gives you readings
✨magic 8 ball app for pendulum style divination (yes, no, maybe, don’t know)
✨download a guided meditation app or search them on YouTube
✨meditational music free on Spotify
✨notes or journal app to keep a gratitude or dream diary
✨dream dictionary app or website bookmarked on phone
I know these aren’t quite the same as having the real thing but if you can’t obtain things, you can’t afford them, or just can’t afford to be caught practicing witchcraft, don’t be afraid to use your phone!
Also great for portable spells - i.e. When you’re out and about and don’t have access to your physical tools :)
Some of us live an environment where we cannot practice our craft openly. It is a shame but our living situation is what it is. So this is for those of you - of age of course- who cannot openly practice magic!
This is a method that requires pretty much no tools so there’s not much to hide. You can set barriers and shields with this method and no one ever can see. However, if your spiritual strength is a bit on the low end, this is also a great way to start trying to increase it. Like working out for your spirit power.
This is one that if you like cooking, you can do without ever being suspected. This is also a perfect excuse to have a lot of herbs because you can claim its for cooking! I’m afraid I’m not particularly versed in it so I don’t really have any recipes to give but you can find a ton within the kitchen magic tag!
Music can be paired, I think, with energy work and it can be used for a lot! Especially if it has an emotive response for you! Music tends to give me emotional responses and I have used it on more than one occasion to cleanse, lift the air and even give myself a boost in power. You can even pull song lyrics to help make a spell incantation! I can’t really tell you specifically which songs to use because this all would depend on how music effects you. But it is certainly an option! You can also sing or play your own instrument if you can to fuel a spell or cleanse!
Water, Water, Everywhere
Keep your empty bottles and you can store water of different types in there. Moon water, Storm water, Sun water, Sea water (if you are near the ocean), or even just add some salt to your water bottle. You can keep it in a drawer or something and it is pretty versatile. Salt water/sea water is great for cleansing and banishing and I love to use Storm water for the same purpose! And if your family or roommates find it, so what? All they’ll see are bottles of water.
Pop Culture Magic
As a nerd, I like the idea of charging up video game symbols or something and using it as something witchy. And to others, it can just look like you are just wearing nerdy regalia. Got a cool necklace from your favorite tv show? Great! Charge that sucker up in sun or moonlight and wear it around with you as a special charm! Like some symbols from that video game you like? Awesome! Use it to make a special sigil of your own!
Now that we’ve mentioned sigils, those are actually pretty great too! You can use a pen to draw them on your skin somewhere under your clothes. Draw it into the soup you are about to eat, use your concealer to draw it on your face and blend it in, draw it on a sheet of paper and put it in your pocket to carry with you. Draw it on the inside of your tag on your shirt or jacket! Hell, draw it and take a picture of it and set it as your phone background! Sigils are extremely versatile and easy to keep very subtle!
This is a big one and really easy to disguise. Use your make up to cast a spell on yourself for the day! Charge your make up in moonlight to give it some extra strength! Don’t wear make up? That’s cool too! Chapstick charged in moonlight is great! You can also use your facial scrub or soap and use it as a cleansing ritual. You can also use your clothes! Charge up your clothes with moon or sunlight! You can also charge them with your intent and focus on that intent becoming a part of you as you put them on! You can also incorporate knot magic and braid your hair to lock in the spell so to speak or focus on the braid and it’s weaving together what you want to happen! You can also use your cologne or perfume to set your tone for the day!
If you are allowed to burn them, they can be helpful as well! All you have to do is say you like to have nice smelling candles! And speaking of scents, aromatherapy is a great tool as well! You can carve sigils into candles, anoint them with different waters and herbs!
Oh boy this is a good one and also great for self care and cleansing! You can charge up your favorite soaps, body washes and shampoos in the sun or moonlight! You can also mix a bit of your different waters in with them! I like to take my body wash and mix in some herbs! Rosemary is a great one for cleansing and protection. You can use bath salts to help with cleansing and there all kinds of things you can add in there! Throw in some lemon slices, orange slices just some really great stuff and it makes you feel so nice!
Not really magic but I’m including it because in theory if you are in a situation where you can’t practice magic, you are probably in a situation in which you can’t openly do tarot either. Shufflemancy is a good one because all you need is your music. That’s it. Nothing suspicious about that. You just shuffle whether specified by another person or by when you think you should stop and give a reading based on the song that came up. You can also use Stichomancy (with books) or Bibliomancy (which is with the Bible. How’s THAT for ironic? HAH!)
That’s what I’ve got for now but I’m sure there are other options to pursue. I hope this was helpful to some of you!