The Long Distance Dissonace (10x24)
If you haven’t watched, SPOILERS ahead!!!
This is not the typical review/summary I usually do. This is more a venting platform and some random thoughts on this episode. Please note I am unspoiled so I have not had the time to process things that most of the spoiled fandom may have had time to process so I apologize for my feels which are everywhere right now.
1. I will say right of the bat that in terms of comedic value, this episode was gold. It had a very funny script, the plot made way for lots of funny zingers and the cast was spot on in their acting for these scenes. It may very well be one of the funniest episodes they’ve had. That being said, for the Shamy shippers, it may have caused some angst that made it hard to enjoy the comedy here.
2. Shamy flirting through their video chat is adorable. They are totally both flirting and Sheldon is going for it too. Notice Sheldon called Amy naughty again.
3. As soon as I saw Ramona entering the cafeteria with Sheldon, I started to freak out. Because I knew she was up to no good. But I was more surprised that Sheldon would even entertain a “friendship” with her especially on the terms they ended last time. It just doesn’t seem in character for me and they never mentioned any reason for there to be this kind of time spent between them voluntarily. Can the writers at least make and effort and come with an excuse like that they had to work together on something? A “toblerone” isn’t enough.
4. Amy skyping with Sheldon and finding out about Ramona broke my heart. She was strong and kept it together although she was obviously jealous. She doesn’t argue with him because she knows how clueless Sheldon can be in these matters. I will say I am glad she found out thru him and not thru other people. It shows Sheldon had no intention of being deceiving.
5. Sassy Amy arguing with Penny and Bernie was freaking hilarious. “I GAVE YOU ONE JOB. KEEP AN EYE ON HIM. HOW HARD IS THAT?” Mayim is awesome per usual in this scene. (Can the academy just give her the Emmy she deserves, damn it?) Best line all episode came here…
I’ve been smacking that ketchup bottle for a long time. All she’s gotta do its tip it over and point it at her fries.
So while I was nervous for Shamy, I also just about wet myself with that line.
6. Why would Sheldon bring Ramona to dinner with the gang? And why would he bring her to their apartment? It’s just inconceivable and out of character to me! The man who wouldn’t allow a woman in his room would allow a woman he hasn’t seen in years into his apartment. Come on, Sheldon? You are naive in some ways but you are also smart. This is the man that was concerned Penny would cheat on Leonard while he was away at North Sea. (S7E2). He should know at least a little bit.
7. The shamy shipping gang was all of us. It was awesome to see the whole gang banding together to protect Sheldon and Amy’s relationship. They were all of us. Bernie wedging herself between Sheldon and Ramona was AWESOME because I was about to throw a fit when I saw that bitch sitting in Amy’s spot. (Sorry for the B word but WTH?) Thank you for your service, Bernie.
Nice save with the whole gang walking Ramona to her car, OMG!!!! It was so over the top it had me laughing out loud. Then Bernie once again with her sweet voice “excuse me”, followed shortly by Penny. Good on the girls to mark Amy’s territory and good on the whole gang who was truly concerned. They really care about Amy and Shamy’s relationship and that feels good to have everyone so invested.
8. We go to commercial break and I’m thinking we are almost at the end of the episode and have made it safely thru the season finale. Then we get back with Ramona bringing sandwiches to Sheldon’s office. Okay… Penny’s talk must have stuck with Sheldon but I think he refused to believe the obvious.
Are you seeking a romantic relationship with me?
He has obvious doubts about the whole thing and has given Penny’s word some more thought. He starts naming the reason why that would create some problems; one that they are colleagues and two, he is currently in a relationship… He did have time to say this and that to me is important because it shows that Sheldon was willing to defend his relationship. BUT she kissed him…
And something in me about died. I cannot believe this is happening and I reacted much like the audience. Because Shamy are not your typical relationship and they have really guarded themselves against all this typical relationship crap so I can’t be okay with this. I also felt horrible for Sheldon because his face became dazed, he never closed his eyes while it happened and he is not exposed or used to this interaction with females, just Amy. So now I’m feeling like I’m about to puke because on one hand, he didn’t deserve this but on the other hand, he kind of brought it upon himself and should have known better. Sorry guys but come on Sheldon…
He was silent and stunned. I just saw him walking further and further away from Ramona and I had the feeling he would go to Amy because as I’ve said before, Amy is his safe place. I didn’t expect anything else but to him show up at Amy’s, kissing her and telling her he missed her and loved her. And that would have made it better for me.
The three famous Sheldon knocks, Amy, Amy, Amy… and our favorite girl, too precious for this world, reacts surprised to hear her true love’s voice. Like me, she wasn’t expecting what would happen. Lo and behold she opens the door to a beautiful sight; Sheldon on one knee with the ring we have been waiting to see for 2 seasons now. The sight was beautiful because Jim Parsons was able to convey honest love and admiration as Sheldon for Amy in every single face muscle and the perfection and sincerity of his soulful eyes. And my heart dropped because I know he loves her so much. And I did gasp so loud I could probably be heard 5 houses down because I waited so long for this.
But something was lost and sacrificed in the process. I also felt sad that Amy didn’t know. And felt sorry that Sheldon may be doing this for the wrong reasons and upset he waited for this to happen to take this step. The loveliness of their sweet relationship was tampered with. You see, this couple has taken every step with caution and care. Amy has waited a long time for this. Sheldon has come a long way. This moment didn’t need to be any part of Ramona’s sick interference. It was gratuitous and unnecessary of the writers. Because this is not the kind of story Amy deserved to tell her children… “I was away for a few months and your father befriended a woman who ended up overstepping her boundaries. Your father realized how much he loved me after she kissed him and he proposed to me.”
It’s ridiculous because we all know what Amy means to Sheldon and he has known that he loves her a long time. He could have very well given her the ring last episode which was beautiful. But it felt to me the writers wanted to have a cliffhanger or a hook. And that they did, leaving us a whole summer with questions of how Amy will react once she knows what happens. Will she say yes not knowing and then find out and be sad and mad or even call it off? Will she say no because she realizes something is not right about the whole thing? We don’t know. But there are my mixed feelings about all of this and in order to survive hiatus, I will just have to reset my memory to episode 23 and not think about this one because it will drive me insane.
Sorry for the rant. I may change my mind but this is how I feel right now. Some honorable mentions:
- I’m glad we saw Stuart again. As always he is pathetically awesome.
- Great to see the Amy and Penny drawing again. I wonder how Amy ended up keeping it?
- Nice to see the cafeteria. Howie’s lines were so funny.
- Penny trying to explain to Sheldon. “Amy has already taken me ut of my package and played with me”. Yes she has. And you’re right Sheldon, Lenny needs a marriage cousnelor. Glad someone said it.
- Where the hell is baby Halley? Should I call the Department for Children’s Welfare?
- Lenny: “You got fingers and a mouth, you call her.” / “You got feet and legs you do it.” LOL!
- Poor Raj… smh.
I’m out of hiding so you will see me around more. :) Ryl.