okay so like unpopular opinion, and its probs not the time bc i’ve had 1.5 very large margaritas (yes, its a wednesday, and yes, i do have work tomorrow) but i’ve had 1.5 very large margaritas and i do not care, so:
i cannot believe that jkr thought severus snape and peter pettigrew were sympathetic characters worthy of redemption, and that draco malfoy was not
like???? draco was a child for so much of the series! they were all children! and of course he made terrible choices and of course he did things that were wrong. but how can you compare him to snape and pettigrew and find him lacking? snape betrayed a woman he claimed to love out of a desire for acceptance and abused her son for years. pettigrew betrayed his best friends who would have died for him, which ended with one in jail, one dead, and the other destitude, and then he went and betrayed them all AGAIN 13 years later!
draco joined voldemort for his family, because he was raised to be this way, because he loved his parents and wanted to do what his father wanted. he wasn’t happy! he didn’t enjoy it! and no, that doesn’t make his actions any better, it doesn’t make the terrible things okay.
but he betrayed voldemort in the end! he wasn’t evil or cruel, he was awful, sure, but those things are worlds apart.
just. how can you look at grown men who betrayed the people closest to them, again and again, for selfish reasons, and look at a teenager who did horrible things because he loved his family, and say the former is more deserving of redemption and forgiveness than the latter? how???
honestly i’ll fight jkr and anyone who disagrees with this post in a denny’s parking lot at dawn
I’m so torn because on the one hand I love seeing a new side of Sarek but on the other hand every time he shows her even a modicum of kindness I’m filled with so much anger on behalf of Spock, like have you spoken to your son lately???? or did you already disown him??? You personally brought her to her ship and hand picked her captain but refused to acknowledge Spock for 18 goddamn years for joining Starfleet??? Sarek my dude what’s the deal????? She’s got a piece of your motherfucking katra and you use it to encourage her from light years away after she commits mutiny but you will show Spock nothing but disdain for most of his life??????
*KICKS IN YOUR DOOR* GORY STORIES WE DO THAT *FLIPS OVER TABLE* AND YOUR HOST A TALKING RAT *BREAKS A VASE* THE PAST’S NO LONGER A MYSTERY *PUNCHES THROUGH TELEVISION* WELCOME TO *COLLAPSES ON THE FLOOR* HOOOORIBLE HISTOOOORIES
reasons why the princess diaries 2 is actually the best movie ever made
ok so i know that when we were all young fanchildren we all watched this movie and sighed dreamily. but i am here to tell u that this movie is even better than u remember
1. the main conflict in the movie is the arranged marriage. i’m gonna stop right here, because princesses in arranged marriages are a classic fanfiction trope that we are all trash for. don’t lie to yourself. but it gets BETTER. not only is there an arranged marriage… the guy she’s arranged to marry is actually a really chill dude. u like this dude. u know they would be good friends and partners. he would make a good king. but sHE DOESNT LOVE HIM!!! she doesn’t love him. and it would be so easy for the narrative to say ~oh look at this selfish girl she has a handsome titled good man ready to marry her she’s so SELFISH for wanting passion and true love, so naive~ (see fuckboys: i’m so nice and handsome why doesn’t she love me she’s horrible) instead the narrative presents her not marrying him as a perfectly valid choice and one the viewer sides with her on. the narrative supports her choice and makes it clear it was the right decision. ADDITIONALLY, the solution presented to fix the arranged marriage problem is to DESTROY THE PATRIARCHY. like???? don’t fuck with me this movie is perfect
2. literally the other main conflict is the love interest. he’s essentially a conman trying to convince mia to fall passionately in love with him so he can steal the throne. but along the way… he falls in love with her. THIS IS LITERALLY THE PLOT OF THREE THOUSAND FANFICTIONS PEOPLE
3. speaking of fanfiction…this movie is one. like, i’m not even joking. the first princess diaries movie essentially compiled the first 3 books into a movie, but the sequel wasn’t based on the books at all. disney just pulled something out of their asses and was like “this will make the fangirls happy”
4. at the beginning of the movie mia graduates from princeton’s woodrow wilson school of international affairs… literally one of the best international studies programs on the planet.. then she’s flown to a castle…where she’s a princess..and has hot men falling all over her…and wears ballgowns…like…mia is such a mary sue but somehow the movie manages to avoid making her one AT ALL
5. also holy shit??! mia doesn’t just stand around looking pretty as a princess.. she’s clearly really smart and genuinely cares about the people of genovia and does her best to serve them well even to it’s hard work… like damn mia is fucking committed to being a good queen she’s not just a princess because castles make good backdrops for romances
6. the queen/joe YAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS u fucking know u shipped that shit
7. THE ENTIRE MOVIE IS ABOUT FUCKING THE PATRIARCHY. MIA IS PORTRAYED AS KIND AND SENSITIVE BUT THAT ADDS TO HER APPEAL AS A RULER NOT DETRACTS FROM IT. AT THE END OF THE MOVIE SHE’S LIKE “fuck these rules written by old white men, i’m gonna make my own less sexist rules” AND THEN SHE FUCKING DOES?!? SHE FUCKING CALLS OUT THE SEXISM OF THE LAWS AND THEN CHANGES THEM. HELLO WOMEN IN PARLIAMENT! GOODBYE BOYS CLUBS! A WOMAN IS FULLY CAPABLE OF RULING ON HER OWN WITHOUT A MAN AND SHE FUCKING DRILLS THAT INTO THEIR GODDAMN HEADS
8. chris pine. what a hot piece of ass amiright
9. the number of times something fucking bizarre happens to mia and she theoretically looks into the camera like she’s on the office is comedic gold honestly. the maids?? flirting with her arranged husband?? climbing out a window?? the fAKE LEG!? mia is just trying to live her life but the universe keeps fucking it up. i feel u mia.
in sum i have n o idea how the fuck this movie got made but goddamn is it not god’s gift to man