I know you’re all waiting for content from the guidebooks, and I’ve admittedly been extremely slow with my translations. I’m going to be honest, I don’t think I’ll be finishing them any time soon- I’ve been working on translating another project, as well as my usual art and writing, and a cosplay I’ve got a month to make, and all in all the FMA guidebooks somehow wound up low on my priority list.
But I don’t want to just leave you guys hanging, so I’ll share what I’ve learned so far:
- Den (The Rockbells’ dog) is named after Arakawa’s own dog, Densuke. Densuke in turn is named after Densuke melons, Hokkaido’s famous and extremely expensive black watermelons.
- The Mustang vs. Lust fight was completely planned out since the beginning of the series, even to the point of taking into consideration the part where Roy’s gloves get soaked, so that’s why Arakawa made Havoc a smoker (so he could have a lighter on hand for Roy to borrow). Also, since that was going to be the Colonel’s shining moment, Arakawa intentionally downplayed him a bit in the early phases of the series.
- The Maria Ross incident was also planned since Hughes’ death.
- Barry the Chopper was originally intended to die at lab 5. But Arakawa really enjoyed drawing him, and as she thought about that, she realized that he could be useful for the later arcs with the military characters. Thus he wound up being the first character to survive longer than originally intended.
- The reason Barry wants to chop up Lust so badly is because she resembles his wife.
- Arakawa hates drawing scenes of people crying, since they make her feel sad too, but she doesn’t mind if it’s happy tears.
- One of the important differences between Mustang and Bradley, which Arakawa tried to emphasize, is that Bradley has no problem casually throwing away any of his pawns, while Mustang never throws anyone away no matter what.
- Arakawa sometimes uses lighting effects to give the illusion of tears on Al’s armor.
- Arakawa is thankful for Winry, who can act as a buffering agent because she’s able to understand both Ed and Al’s feelings very well. Arakawa thinks the boys ought to talk to her more instead of shutting her out.
- Winry’s reaction to meeting Truth (during the Fullmetal Honesty Hour: Truth-kun’s Room segment): “Hold on, Ed, why is this guy naked? And he’s saying stuff I really don’t get. Just what kind of weird friends do you guys have, anyway?”
- Winry prefers guys who are taller than her because she thinks when she gets married, having a tall husband would look really nice in the wedding photos. Also because she saw a movie where the heroine stood on her tiptoes to kiss her tall boyfriend goodbye, and Winry thought it looked cool.